BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Seat Construction

Seat Construction

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/29/2007 3:21:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't understand the point of the 'construction estimate,' in particularly the "roughly 6 days" part.

My one and only construction project had a six day estimate which put its completion in time for my next home game. Great!

Then it didn't happen until 8 days later, thus missing the home game.

How is this fun? Why is this 'feature' necessary? How does it add to our enjoyment?

Answers: It isn't and it never will.

At best, you will meet my expectations on a mundane, unexciting event, which I will immediately forget. If it comes in late, it will be a minor annoyance that will cause me to question why I bother with BuzzerBeater.

Or am I missing the point, and there is a chance something magically wonderful might happen every time I build some seats?

Just tell me when the new seats will be there and put them in.

This Post:
10937.2 in reply to 10937.1
Date: 12/29/2007 11:27:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
As I'm building a house myself at this time I know all too well that almost every proposed date will get delayed. This is reality, and BB is a game, so it can be diffrent...

However this is the way BB have programmed it, and you can't say you where not warned.

I had many building projects so far at my stadion so I can compare a little.
My first 6 day estiate was right on time, my second 6 day estimate (just like you I put as many seat up for building to get them right in time) took 9 days to build, so they where late for my home match. the 3 following builds where either right on time, or 1 day late, I didn't even followed them up that closely anymore... Why?
I learned my lesson.

The lesson is simple:
If you want your seats done in time, you should request a max amount that will be ready a few days in advance, so that should there be delays, you will get the extra seats in time.
If you want a certain amount of seats, just build them, but don't look at the time.
So you have to decide what's more important, the time they will be finished, or the amount you would like, and decide upon that.

Since there is no extra cost in building, and you just pay per seat, it does not matter how many you build each time, so it realy should not be a big porblem.
I think we almost all will have to run into the fact we want to build as much as possible, and having it done by the last day, while we will only get them 2 or 3 days later before we learn not to trust the estimates.

Why do they do this?
Because it is fun. (at least I think it is) . They could just as good have not given an estimate, then you'd just have to wait until you get your seats done, without having any clue...
If they would follow the estimate build time strictly, it would be too easy to get the maximum out of the system, without risk, that's boring, not fun...

What do others think?

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
10937.3 in reply to 10937.2
Date: 12/29/2007 12:52:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Every construction project gets delayed. It's just realistic.
I think this is a good thing. Everybody wanted the game to be more realistic, now that there is a feature that is pretty realistic, people complain about it that it isn't fun.
On top of that, it's been in the rules that you should not trust the Estimate time of completion.
If you want seats done before your home game, don't get it done 1 day before the game. Try to plan it that you have room for delays and be well on time for the game.

If you want the game to be realistic, stick with it. Don't complain when realistic features don't work in your favor.

This Post:
10937.4 in reply to 10937.3
Date: 12/29/2007 5:19:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
My point is that there will never be a better than expected outcome with construction, so why bother with an estimated time of completion? It adds nothing to the game, and will never be anything more than an annoyance when it turns out to be false.

The economic impact of missing the game is next to nothing. It will still take 20 games to pay back (based on startup prices) any expansion, which is around a season and a half. Pushing that point back by one is easily overcome with price increases, so it really is only a matter of 'fun factor.'

And there is absolutely no fun associated with a missed estimate. No one has explained how that adds to the enjoyment of BuzzerBeater.

If the only defense of this feature is that is realistic consider that a stadium expansion taking one week is patently absurd on its face. So it will never be 'realistic' by any meaningful standard.

Only trying to suggest a minor opportunity for improvement.

This Post:
10937.5 in reply to 10937.4
Date: 12/29/2007 6:57:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't know but I'd rather be told the estimate time is 6 days, so I know I will have it before 10 days are over, then to know nothing at all...

You can use it you know, you just need to add some extra time. It's not completely worthless.
If you'd rather have no info at al, I sugest you just build, and don't read the estimate time, that way you have it the way you like.
;)

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
10937.6 in reply to 10937.4
Date: 12/29/2007 11:22:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
For your information, It sometimes does speed it up. I had 11 days aprox. 2 days ago. Now i have 8 days aprox. Which means it went from 11 days to 8 days in 2 days.

This Post:
10937.7 in reply to 10937.4
Date: 12/30/2007 7:12:17 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
My point is that there will never be a better than expected outcome with construction

It can happen.

It'll be rare, but it's not impossible.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
10937.8 in reply to 10937.7
Date: 12/30/2007 6:25:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
My point is that there will never be a better than expected outcome with construction

It can happen.

It'll be rare, but it's not impossible.

If you mean five days instead of six, that would be sooner, but not better because either way you'd make the date you were planning for, but not catch one more home game. That would be my definition of 'better'.

This Post:
10937.9 in reply to 10937.5
Date: 12/30/2007 6:27:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

If you'd rather have no info at al, I sugest you just build, and don't read the estimate time, that way you have it the way you like.
;)

I believe I've said I want information; accurate information.

This Post:
10937.10 in reply to 10937.9
Date: 12/30/2007 6:31:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What would make construction a better game feature would be to add options based on completion dates. Quicker completion would cost more. Construction guarantees would add to the cost, too.

This would add a nice strategic choice to the game that we don't have right now.

It could possibly make this phase of the game interesting, too. :)

This Post:
10937.11 in reply to 10937.10
Date: 12/30/2007 8:32:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
in real life you can sign a contract that says that if the date is not met, the builder has to pay fee for every day he gets delayed...

I'd like to see this implemented here.

Could make our building costs lower, I'd start hoping he gets delayed every time. hehe.