BB Global (English) > Forum Day - Visualization

Forum Day - Visualization

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 9/19/2009 5:04:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Here's a yes/no question that I'd love to know the answer to:

It's no secret that sometimes it's possible to see the match's result before the visualisation starts. Thus clearly the matches have been calculated in advance. Again, that's no shock, otherwise the servers would crash when Spanish matches were all being calculated at once.

My question is: what comes first - the result or the matchplay? Does the engine compare the tactics, arrive at a result, and then generate a match report rigged to always generate that exact result? Or is the result actually generated in the same shot-by-shot way we see in the visualisation?

This Post:
112473.3 in reply to 112473.1
Date: 9/19/2009 9:40:53 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.21
Overall Posts Rated:
I think this is an interesting point for users to consider...

I see many times in the way users analyze the game is that they take what they are shown as the primary data, and the things behind the scene as secondary...

So for instance, they see the game ratings and are confused when the result does not 100% reflect their analysis of the team ratings... when really the causality is backwards... we calculated the results partly based upon something related to the team rating shown, but also lots of other things than report this team rating in hopes that it will be useful in describing what happened.

or, someone sees that the weekly stats page is showing something different than it usually is and thinking that means that their training minutes are messed up.. when really the weekly stats page is a just one way that we display data form our database, and training is another... in this recent case those two ways were different temporarily as we solved a scaling bug.

or another example, when the matchviewer shows their own player defending their teammate, really the result was calculated in the game engine, where its impossible for someone to defend their own teammate, and then the matchviewer tries to describe what happened, and there is a bug in that description process.

Its a totally understandable phenomenon.. users can only see what we show them, and so for them this is the primary data, but I think it would serve both users and us developers to be aware of this fact.... that what we show is not the primary data, and that for users there is nothing else, so we shouldn't be so cavalier about it sometimes.

This Post:
112473.4 in reply to 112473.3
Date: 9/19/2009 10:04:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Perhaps a quarter by quarter information would became as a more precise information

This Post:
112473.5 in reply to 112473.4
Date: 9/20/2009 3:20:41 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
it would be helpful in the breaks to give us the rebounding totals and other stats for the quarter and half as well... That way i can see how my team played in each quarter and also figure out who was out there together to get my best lineup for the future.

I understand you cant show me how my PG runs my offense. Which in my opinion is a big part of this game and any other basketball game. So if i need to figure it out i think w should get a few more details that might show how something is going on.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.