BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Player Intangibles

Player Intangibles

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/12/2009 10:55:56 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think BB matches would be much more fun if there were player intangibles like leadership skills, clutch ability, basketball iq, heart, etc. I believe such features would make "underdog" or "cinderella stories" happen, which decreases the strength of coaches merely beefing up their player and match ratings. Furthermore, it would keep newer players in the game because training a truly winning team really takes time, which is obviously very intimidating for new players. Finally, it would add that extra element in game tactics and player salary determination which will definitely please everyone.

But if having to take those many intangibles in millions of players will take too much time, an alternative method would be to only put one intangible for each player. For example, my player, Juan dela Cruz, will have an intangible or "special ability" of delivering in clutch scenarios. Lastly, intangibles should be fixed like potential.

Here are some proposed effects:

Leadership Ability -> Probably a slight enthusiasm increase for OTHER players during games

Heart/Determination -> A slight enthusiasm increase for THE PLAYER ONLY during games

Clutch Ability -> (Self-Explanatory)

Basketball IQ -> Probably similar to Player Experience so this might be excluded

To avoid too much complexity, let's just leave out negative intangibles and let most of the player population in BB have no special ability. After all, not everyone can be a one-dimensional player and yet be endeared by many for his special skills (Reggie Miller)

I really think this is great for the game, I hope this will be considered and other BB players will chip in and add some suggestions/modifications to my ideas above.

-kennyfrc

This Post:
121676.2 in reply to 121676.1
Date: 12/12/2009 11:06:01 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
nice idea... ii agree

This Post:
121676.3 in reply to 121676.1
Date: 12/12/2009 11:12:42 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
basketball IQ comes with passing training and experience ;) The clutch ability is also driven by Experience, unexperience player wokrs weaker in clutch situations.

I don't like to include things like this, who could throw over training plans and team building over night, and i think this will have nearly no effect or a effect you can not ignore and it is already difficult to understand game mechanic i don't need extra variables for it.

Last edited by CrazyEye at 12/12/2009 11:13:24 AM

This Post:
121676.4 in reply to 121676.1
Date: 12/12/2009 11:41:49 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
If we included every possible variable a player could have, you'd have over 50, and the game would become unplayable.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
121676.5 in reply to 121676.4
Date: 12/12/2009 12:35:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I guess it would be a challenge to find good equations for such a system but surely not that it would be unplayable.

This Post:
121676.6 in reply to 121676.5
Date: 12/12/2009 1:00:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The average user (me included) can barely have a good grasp of 12 skills - adding a laundry list of new skills will just make it more difficult for new users to understand.

And if you add 2-4 more skills, then people will want 2-4 more, and eventually you have a mess.

Oftentimes when new skills are proposed, people do not realize that the current skills reflect what they are asking for in some form.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
121676.7 in reply to 121676.6
Date: 12/12/2009 1:13:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
meh, i'm just spilling ideas. i'm still a relatively new user so i haven't grasped the depth of the game that well yet. :) but based on what i've read from the replies so far (more of reminders), i can't believe i wrote such a long post lol

This Post:
121676.8 in reply to 121676.7
Date: 12/12/2009 1:15:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It was a well-written post, and giving ideas is good - I just want to set realistic expectations.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
121676.9 in reply to 121676.8
Date: 12/12/2009 1:53:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And as I understand his idea was not about new skills but about special abilities, that means not every player would have those and it wont be trainable just like potential is. So this means that his special ability would make one or few of his skills work better... Like passing, experience and so on... So I think he has been playing hattrick for sure, as there is such a thing as special abilities.

We already have one of those, that is height, but this just gives us advantage or disadvantage in training, but it could give some advantage in game as well... Like tall players could have some bonus counted because of their height in rebounding and blocking as well as small players could get some bonus in ball handling... But to make this idea work BBs would need to change GE code and this is really difficult work for them as well as we would need at least one season testing time of new engine using it for SC games.

In conclusion the earliest time we could see such an idea coming to life is after 2-4 seasons.

This is just my opinion about this staff.

P.S. as well as there is needed that this idea of special abilities would be fully developed, it means we need full set of possible special abilities (what skill those would make work better on the court) and decide what the percentage of total BB players suppose to have those abilities... Maybe 1% or maybe 40% of all BB players. Maybe one player from drafts will be with special ability per league or maybe 5 or...

Last edited by ZyZla at 12/12/2009 1:55:20 PM

ZyZla - ZyZlūnas ZyZlavotas ~c(=
This Post:
121676.10 in reply to 121676.9
Date: 12/12/2009 2:20:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
We already have the "physical" atribute. If you ask me, there are plenty more also.

This Post:
121676.11 in reply to 121676.8
Date: 12/13/2009 12:15:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
thanks, i tried to make it realistic by having only one special ability for a player. We could also try to only give those special abilities to about 10% of players or less.Yes, it could be difficult to implement this because some traits may overlap (like experience and basketball IQ). But it seems for me that player experience is a "catch all" skill for all those intangibles because as mentioned, it already takes into account decision-making and clutch ability. I was thinking that it would be better imo, if player experience was instead broken down into something like clutch ability and basketball IQ while also determining it as a special ability for a select few players.

@Zyzla: No, I actually play MMA Tycoon :) I got the idea there. In that game, along with skills like defensive grappling and clinchwork, there were also hidden attributes like having a "big heart" and "intelligence/ability to adjust".