BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Scouting Allocation

Scouting Allocation

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 1/15/2008 9:11:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I suggest you change the way scouting is done so that people get less information about more people. For instance, I don't care to know that one prospect is 5 stars, A-, point guard, I'd rather know that he is 5 stars, and that someone else is 4 stars and someone else is 2, etc.

I'm not saying that everyone's star rating should be revealed before getting more info (that wouldn't be very exciting, now would it?), but I think the distribution right now is a little unbalanced.

For instance, I switched between 10k and 20k all season, and I have 26 players who are completely unknown - that's 54% of the total draft pool that I know absolutely NOTHING about.

Just my .02

This Post:
12778.2 in reply to 12778.1
Date: 1/16/2008 2:14:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Let me tack another suggestion onto this one.

Make the guy who's scouting these players a little more intelligent. Just looking at my draft rankings, I have one guy I know about who is 1 star, grade F, and a point guard.

What scout (who has limited "looks" or "time to check out players" or whatever you want to call it) would find a 1 star player and think to himself "Oh, I wonder what his grade is?" then "Oh, it's an F? I better find out about his best position too!"

If the scout uncovers some mediocre (2 stars or less) talent then they should'nt waste further looks at that person, or there should be some kind of setting where we as the users can instruct our scout "more guys, less info" or "max info, less guys".

Now, I guess this suggestion is assuming that scouting isn't totally random as it is, since it seems that everyone has a good number of 4 and 5 star players to put at the top of their draft list - a number that isn't really proportional to the total number of players. For example, I only have 3 two star guys and 1 one star guy, and far more 4s and 5s. So if scouting is already semi-intelligent, please make it moreso, or give us more control over it, or both.

This Post:
12778.3 in reply to 12778.2
Date: 1/16/2008 3:40:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree. Being told a 2 is a 'D' is useless.

The draft is fun. The vast majority of players look forward to it. Having a feature that needlessly irks players is not in the best long-term interests of BuzzerBeater.

Only provide additional information on 5's and 4's. That will keep people happy and more likely to become Supporters.

I don't see a down side to this change.

This Post:
12778.4 in reply to 12778.3
Date: 1/16/2008 5:58:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't think the only in-depth info we should get is on the 4s and 5s, I just don't see the point of having tons of info on the 2s. I don't want massive changes, just a shift.

This Post:
12778.6 in reply to 12778.5
Date: 1/18/2008 3:07:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the answer. You make a good point about the position being the first thing you notice, and I agree with you that I don't want the scouting to be easy or a no brainer by any means. I'm glad you all are taking a good look at this though, for future consideration.

This Post:
12778.8 in reply to 12778.7
Date: 1/19/2008 2:50:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
indeed, the sequence of info should change.
First scouting should be the best position, then a star grading, and then (but as said by others only if they have 3 or more stars) the grading a, b, c...

This would mean managers HAVE to spend more money in order to find out which are the better (or best) players, but they have to spend only a little if they want a player they are looking for.
It also means every player can be scouted at least twice, without having a 'dumb' scout, only the ones that are not so good will not get a 3rd scouting. With the maximum info one can get in 1 season, I think it would still be imposible to get ALL the info that can become available (quick calculation: 48 players, let's say about 20 would be 2stars or less, then we would need 48 * 2 + about 28 pieces of info = about 124 while one season of scouting is 16 weeks (?) and you can scout 4 players which is 64 pieces of info...)
I think most teams will want a certain position player to be added to their team, and it is possible that one would prefer a 4 star PG over a 5 star center if he has enough good centers but is looking for a good point guard.
With the system we have now there is a good chance to get a good player from your first pick, but you probably have no clue of his postion...

This is not an urgent matter though, since the draft is already good working, but once there is some time for this, the system might improve.

It may even be more improved by telling scouts which type(s) of players to look for, managers could still choose to scout the whole bunch, but they could also choose to scout only guards, in that case once a scout finds a center for best position, he will not scout him a second time, thus giving the manager more chance on valuable info from other players which are posibly guards. The downside is that the manager might miss that superstar center...

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
12778.10 in reply to 12778.9
Date: 1/19/2008 7:15:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
notice the about in that sentence...

I know there is a random factor in the amount of stars for the draft players, but isn't is safe to asume that if you order the players on star grading the 24th player in most cases would have 3 stars?

If you then put some 3 star ranked players above and beneath, one would estimate that the 2 star players start around number 28, exeptions possible.

So if my math is correct about 125 pieces (rounded) of info are needed to get the full scale of info following the system from my previous post.
With about 65 pieces of info one could max get ...
Even if I am off, and we would say you only would need 100 pieces of info to get it all, and one could get a max of 75 pieces of info, to make this a 'best case scenario' , still no single manager could collect it all...

no?
:)

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.