BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Player History - All-Star Appearances

Player History - All-Star Appearances

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 02/01/2010 10:10:47
Overall Posts Rated:
Subject pretty much speaks for itself. Would like to see all star appearances listed in player histories. Even better if it was specific enough to list appearances as starters and backups.

Addicted as hell to this game. Keep up the good work

Last edited by Tracy Marrow at 02/01/2010 10:11:12

This Post:
130090.2 in reply to 130090.1
Date: 02/03/2010 06:15:11
Overall Posts Rated:
I have even bigger ideas. At the moment the All Star Weekend/Week is the low point of the season. I do like it becuase it gives a chance for a variation in the normal routine, it makes game shape difficult for one week, hurts your cash flow a bit and it is cool for teams still in the cup. On the other hand there is close to zero excitement and I bet lots of coaches don't even bother checking to see if their players are in the all star game or not.

My suggestions are:
1a) All players in the all star game get it at least added to their player history.
1b) Better yet if they have been in an all star game add a trophy to their picture forever like the one that is on the all star page. This would be a supporter feature. More supporters = more money!
1c) Best of all give them a trophy every year they are in an all star game with a little number on it saying what division it was. Some players could have a row of trophies after a few seasons.

2a) Have an all star MVP. This could be as simple as the best rated player on the winning team, the top scorer on the winning team or the person with the best overall stats on the winning team (just add pts, rebs, stls assists and blocks). Record this in the players history.
2b) Give the MVP a trophy.
2c) Give the MVP a trophy each time they are a MVP with the division also noted.

3a) List the players who are in the 3 point competition in their respective player histories.
3b) A trophy.
3d) Multiple trophies.

Overall more things that make the game look cooler are good for the game. More things that encourage people to become supporters are even better for the game.

4) Ok this will be even more debatable and I am sure lots of people will disagree. A cash reward for your player being in the All Star Weekend. We all know this happens in real life, All Star players do sell more jerseys just by being an all star. Lets do it in the game too. Don't make it a big amount but how about $5,000 per player and $2,000 per 3 point player. For most teams that would be like about $12,000, maybe some might get $30,000. Is that going to change the economy? Nope but for low level teams a bit more cash is always nice. Maybe the MVP can get a bigger bonus like $10,000 extra.

Good idea or silly?

5) Ok this has been debated elsewhere but how about a slam dunk comp? Would need a few hundred lines of description written but the team can always get some keen players to do it in exchange for free supporter packages. How do people get in? How about the 4-8 players who had the most dunks during the season? Alternately maybe a combination of (this is off the top of my head) driving x2 (this is the closest we have to speed), outside defence (seems to be closest to agility), inside defence (strength), rebounds (leaping) and a random (or hidden!) number.

If the BBs coded up maybe 500 different dunk descriptions from awesome to pathetic then for each player added their basic dunk ability (determined above) to another random number they would get the dunk and the score. Easy.

The counter argument is people want the BBs to concentrate on "really important things", but lots of my friends are professional computer programmers who have worked for fairly ok companies like IBM and NASA and tell me some jobs are easy and why not do them while others really hard and non computer people really just can't tell which are which. If this job was easy and they could have it coded in a couple of hours why not? If it was hard and would take days then I admit it is not worth it...yet!

This Post:
130090.3 in reply to 130090.2
Date: 02/04/2010 10:12:04
Overall Posts Rated:
1b) Better yet if they have been in an all star game add a trophy to their picture forever like the one that is on the all star page.

That, or at least something on their player page about number of appearances/starts. Trophies can take up room, so maybe it would be best to simply have a link on their player page off of the number of appearances/starts that takes you to the detailed history, which could include trophies I suppose.

2a) Have an all star MVP. This could be as simple as the best rated player on the winning team, the top scorer on the winning team or the person with the best overall stats on the winning team (just add pts, rebs, stls assists and blocks). Record this in the players history.

2b) Give the MVP a trophy.

This could be acceptable I suppose. I like this better than a trophy for every all star.

3a) List the players who are in the 3 point competition in their respective player histories.
3b) A trophy.
3d) Multiple trophies.

An award for winning, and maybe even for being runner-up in the 3 competition would be fine. But tell me honestly, without looking it up, who came in 5th in the 3-point competition in 2005? Do we really care? Should there really be an "award" for being that person?

4) Ok this will be even more debatable and I am sure lots of people will disagree. A cash reward for your player being in the All Star Weekend. We all know this happens in real life, All Star players do sell more jerseys just by being an all star. Lets do it in the game too. Don't make it a big amount but how about $5,000 per player and $2,000 per 3 point player. For most teams that would be like about $12,000, maybe some might get $30,000. Is that going to change the economy? Nope but for low level teams a bit more cash is always nice. Maybe the MVP can get a bigger bonus like $10,000 extra.

I think this already happens to some degree via attendance/sponsorship money increases for having better players on your team, and it would be a bit redundant. Not really a fan of this one.

5) Ok this has been debated elsewhere but how about a slam dunk comp? Would need a few hundred lines of description written but the team can always get some keen players to do it in exchange for free supporter packages. How do people get in? How about the 4-8 players who had the most dunks during the season? Alternately maybe a combination of (this is off the top of my head) driving x2 (this is the closest we have to speed), outside defence (seems to be closest to agility), inside defence (strength), rebounds (leaping) and a random (or hidden!) number.

The process of determining winners of 3-point shootouts in buzzerbeater is relatively straight forward (assumption). What stats would you combine to determine a slam dunk winner? If you base entry solely on number of dunks, players like Spud Webb would never have gotten a shot at competing. The competition would be full of 7'+, lanky, uncoordinated centers who do little more than stand underneath the hoop and wait for the ball. Many of the best "show dunkers" can't play worth a lick, and wouldn't play enough to get an entry bid. And let's be honest. How entertaining could it really be to watch a dunk competition in a text-based game? I just don't see this addressing the problem you want to see fixed: lack of enthusiasm about all-star week.

This Post:
130090.4 in reply to 130090.3
Date: 05/04/2010 07:37:43
Overall Posts Rated:
1b) Better yet if they have been in an all star game add a trophy to their picture forever like the one that is on the all star page.

That, or at least something on their player page about number of appearances/starts. Trophies can take up room, so maybe it would be best to simply have a link on their player page off of the number of appearances/starts that takes you to the detailed history, which could include trophies I suppose.

As the All-Star Game arises again next week, discussions about that topic came up in the german forum. I suggest some kind of "star" awarded to allstar-nominated players that appear on the player's (history) page, perhaps a golden star for those who were nominated in first divisions, a silver one for those in second divisions and a bronze one in third divisions (possibly some other colours for lower divisions). They could be labeled with the number of appearances. Similar could be done for the 3-point-winners, perhaps by a basketball labeled with the numbers of victories.

This Post:
130090.5 in reply to 130090.4
Date: 05/04/2010 08:34:16
Overall Posts Rated:
As the All-Star Game arises again next week, discussions about that topic came up in the german forum. I suggest some kind of "star" awarded to allstar-nominated players that appear on the player's (history) page, perhaps a golden star for those who were nominated in first divisions, a silver one for those in second divisions and a bronze one in third divisions (possibly some other colours for lower divisions). They could be labeled with the number of appearances. Similar could be done for the 3-point-winners, perhaps by a basketball labeled with the numbers of victories.

this is an excellent idea. id be interested in that. nothing more to say.

id also be interested in that all star mvp thing. it should be abot stats and i have an idea for the formula:
points*shooting percentage + rebs + assists + steals*1,5 + blocks*1,5
how about that?

*no bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings* - william blake
This Post:
130090.6 in reply to 130090.5
Date: 05/04/2010 20:17:20
Overall Posts Rated:
It should never be completely based on stats.

Otherwise some teams will have all the stars and some others will never get a player in the all star game

e.g. a fast paced team will get a lot more stats in terms of rebs, assists, etc as opposed to one that is more slow paced. The slow paced team will then be disadvantaged in getting players to the all star game

This Post:
130090.7 in reply to 130090.6
Date: 05/05/2010 03:28:41
Overall Posts Rated:
I think he meant a possible MVP title of the Allstar game itself.

I agree (and most users do) that the general selection of the Allstars should not be based on stats only.

This Post:
130090.8 in reply to 130090.7
Date: 05/05/2010 06:46:30
Overall Posts Rated:
I think he meant a possible MVP title of the Allstar game itself.
I agree (and most users do) that the general selection of the Allstars should not be based on stats only.

you are right. this formula is for an allstar mvp.

This Post:
130090.9 in reply to 130090.8
Date: 05/05/2010 09:22:28
Overall Posts Rated:
Great Idea!

I would love to see this implemented. tho along with the all star history, Season MVP and other player accomplishments
HoF for example should be added to the player profile as well. Adding a trophy is not a must,a simple text is good enough as long as individual player accomplishments are displayed on the players page!

Under the players best performance box?maybe?
2x Suomi III.2 All- Star
1x Suomi II.1 All-Star
1x Suomi II.1 MvP
1x USA II.2 All-Star
1x USA II.2 All-Star MvP
1x USA II.2 MvP
12/30/2008 - 9/15/2009 Suomi " Insert Team Name Here " Hall Of Fame
12/30/2009 - 9/15/2010 USA " Insert Team Name Here " Hall Of Fame

or something like that xD

Last edited by PHS at 05/05/2010 09:34:42

To: PHS
This Post:
130090.10 in reply to 130090.9
Date: 05/05/2010 09:29:55
Overall Posts Rated:
HoF for example should be added to the player profile as well. Adding a trophy is not a must,a simple text is good enough as long as individual player accomplishments are displayed on the players page!

i like that one ;)

This Post:
130090.11 in reply to 130090.10
Date: 05/05/2010 13:53:08
Overall Posts Rated:
Good suggestion!