BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > "Don't train" option

"Don't train" option

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 2/18/2010 6:28:53 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would like to see a "don't train" option for players who have currently very high skills and whose managers don't want to see them improve more - and consequently rise their wages - but want them playing in the positions they are supposed to.
I am currently training PGs and I think my training is complete, I've already achieved my goal of having 2 world class guards in my roster, with a nice backup for them. Continuing to train PGs would mean having to sell one of my great players and downgrade my perimeter. I could switch to C training, but this means that I would be forced to sell one of my great centers, because they currently have $200k of wages on aggregate, and if I keep training them because of my younger trainees they would soon reach more than $300k. The solution could be training SF, but it wouldn't fix the problem, since when I train my SF on the paint my Cs would receive training and their wages would rise, the same for my PGs.
I think BB is reaching a point (at least for teams that are playing for almost 10 seasons) where training is getting meaningless, because if you have too good players there is no sense in training them more due to high wages, and training young talents of 18-19y/o means making your team weaker. I could start doing like B3 finalist Vitoria Devils and just train game shape and live with my gate receipts and cup prizes, but I don't want to, since for me training is the most important thing on this game, or at least it should be.
So I think that a "don't train" option could be a nice solution for this problem, it could allow stronger teams to keep their superplayers and also train younger talents. Of course, keeping a "don't train" superplayer playing in the position that is being trained means that the team will lose one of the training slots available, but that could be the burden to bear in exchange for this possibility.

This Post:
131961.2 in reply to 131961.1
Date: 2/18/2010 9:30:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Train stamina and Freetrows,

This Post:
131961.3 in reply to 131961.2
Date: 2/18/2010 9:45:42 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if you jhave just one trainee, this is maybe a bit "too" much sacrifice.

maybe you could say, use the rigth potential, so that they stop automatically, but sometimes you like to stay with your players. For me it makes sense, even if i could life with the current system.

This Post:
131961.4 in reply to 131961.3
Date: 2/18/2010 2:36:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not sure if I was clear enough.

My proposal is that some players could play at a given position, let's say Center, and don't receive any training even if the chosen training is, let's say, rebounding for PF/Centers.

The goal is allow superplayers with high wages to play at the positions wished by their team managers without their salaries being rised tremendously at the end of the season. Of course, the teams that use this possibility will lose some training slots. If it will be worthwhile or not, up to the team managers to decide.

This Post:
131961.5 in reply to 131961.4
Date: 2/18/2010 2:47:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
hmmm...Not sure if I quite understand why you want to do this. Is this so you can play your already trained players in their desired spots as well as play trainees in that spot?

This Post:
131961.6 in reply to 131961.5
Date: 2/18/2010 2:51:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
hmmm...Not sure if I quite understand why you want to do this. Is this so you can play your already trained players in their desired spots as well as play trainees in that spot?

lets make an example, you normally train "just Center", this works fine with 3 trainees and as PF you play with a high skilled Center/PF. Now you notice, my young center are fine but they also need rebounding ->you have train PF/C which brings you in trouble because your "PF" shouldn't train(and don't play well at SF) and you just have those three trainees. What should ya do?

Another scenario, is that you just want to train in two of your three games, and make a damn strong lineup in the third game - somehthing which happens often at least in germany(we are kings in giving up our away games).

This Post:
131961.7 in reply to 131961.5
Date: 2/18/2010 2:56:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes.
Let's say you have 2 centers with 120K wages/week. You want to keep them on your roster but do not want them with wages above 120k. You also want to train centers. Under the current system, you have 3 options:

1) Train centers anyway, keep the 2 guys on your roster and never play them as centers.
2) Give up training centers, start training guards (don't try to train SFs since you need to train them on the paint also)
3) Fire your 2 guys, buy some nice trainees and get a weak inside for 2-3 seasons.

With the change proposed, a 4th option would be available:

4) Keep your 2 guys, buy a nice trainee and train him as C. While he improves, your 2 other centers will maintain their levels, your team won't suffer much. But you'll be able to train less players than usual, since your "don't train" players will occupy some training slots.

Last edited by LA-Bernspin at 2/18/2010 3:02:59 PM

This Post:
131961.8 in reply to 131961.6
Date: 2/18/2010 2:58:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
ah okay I understand what you mean now. I guess it would be helpful. Although this suggestion is very much directed solely to the top leagues as I doubt anyone in the lower leagues would choose to not train a player.

Another solution to this problem might be to change the training system. Make it so that you can train any skill in any position. So you could train Passing in C. Or you could train Rebounding for just C. Or something like that.

This Post:
131961.9 in reply to 131961.8
Date: 2/18/2010 3:01:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Another solution to this problem might be to change the training system. Make it so that you can train any skill in any position. So you could train Passing in C. Or you could train Rebounding for just C. Or something like that.

i wouldn't like that, this will make it to easy in my eyes ;) And if you screw up games to make it the hard way(especially SF trainers), and now everybody could come and make such players easily.

This Post:
131961.10 in reply to 131961.9
Date: 2/18/2010 3:02:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Okay, well what about simply making every training choice have at least a single position training option?
So Rebounding would have the choice of just training C.

This Post:
131961.11 in reply to 131961.10
Date: 2/18/2010 3:35:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Training overhauls have been proposed many times. It's ment to be a challenge to train multiskilled players. There is a significant improvement already for training someone out of position, as you choose which position he guards.
Only solution I see in this case is: get a player with potential that caps out at that skill level, to keep him near that salary. Basically you want to make money by training young players without adding extra wage to your main squad (as you can't keep that trainee anyway, he also demands more money next season).