Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/20/2010 10:12:48 AM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
this is a pre-emptive NOT a bug report.

Last night we finished implementing a new strategy for processing data from the Game Engine. This has reduced our running time for simulating games by more than a factor of 2, which should help games run on time in the future... though more improvements are still necessary.

Part of how we were able to accomplish this was by delaying the integration of some of the results into the main database. We are now inserting some information from the results just once an hour. So, it is possible now that your game will have been completed, you can watch the match replay, the score shows up in your schedule page... but when you click on the boxscore you will see a lot of empty information.... also, your economy page will not update right away. Never fear, it will eventually update.

There also is the outside chance (a small one) that events could conspire to make your standings update run before all the boxscore information was included and this would mean that the league leaders would be inaccurate for that week. Again, they will be corrected at the next standings update.

I might not have thought through all the ways that this could alter people's experience on the site, but keep I thought I would preemptively address these issues before someone repots them as bugs.

This Post:
135277.2 in reply to 135277.1
Date: 3/20/2010 11:15:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
There also is the outside chance (a small one) that events could conspire to make your standings update run before all the boxscore information was included and this would mean that the league leaders would be inaccurate for that week. Again, they will be corrected at the next standings update.

So in this case, also your merchandice would be calculated based on the wrong information? I would rather miss watching one game live than have the wrong team stats. I need stats in my opponent scouting report.
Is there a chance that some teams in the league will get updates and some do not?

This Post:
135277.3 in reply to 135277.2
Date: 3/20/2010 12:34:53 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
i'm afraid we simply disagree with you... we are trading off a small chance that the league leaders won't include 1 game for 1 week, versus a guarantee that games run late for everybody all the time.

I agree with you that its not an ideal solution, we have tried many others , and will continue to look for better ones, but this is the best solution we have at the moment, and I think in reality this won't happen.. and if it is a problem we can consider moving standings updates back for every league in order to give more time for this process to finish.

This Post:
135277.4 in reply to 135277.3
Date: 3/20/2010 4:16:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Standing updates are running 4-5h after the league game has finished? It's near midnight anyway, if needed then you could actually move them even later. It does not matter if I see them game night, or the next morning, all I want is to have the statistics updated.

This Post:
135277.5 in reply to 135277.1
Date: 4/3/2010 1:08:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Player stats not showing today's games..

This Post:
135277.6 in reply to 135277.1
Date: 4/6/2010 2:44:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I gotta say that this new "feature" is something that lowers my gaming-experience quite a bit. When you follow a match live and then see the end result, you directly wanna see what you did wrong and if you were lucky/unlucky.

Especially this destroys alot of the discussion in the chat, when you have no real facts to discuss, then there is nothing to discuss and nowadays people just leave the chat right after the game has ended. Before this change we could stay in the chat for 30-40 minutes and discuss different matches and what we did right and wrong.
I really hope that you BB-* will change this process so that we can see the boxscore right after the game is done. It would make the BB-experience much higher!

This Post:
135277.7 in reply to 135277.6
Date: 4/6/2010 2:46:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
agree.. annoying..

This Post:
135277.8 in reply to 135277.6
Date: 4/6/2010 3:13:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
We have found that the BB experience is much more impacted by delayed games than delayed boxscores - the majority of users I've encountered would much rather have the games run on time than the boxscores.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
135277.9 in reply to 135277.6
Date: 4/6/2010 3:18:50 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
so we thought this new solution was going to solve our problems.. and it did solve one big problem, seperating the insertion of the boxscores and the game processing is a good idea... namely because you don't need to see the stats until the game is over and that gives us more time to accomplish the inserting.

However, in the middle of the game day it seems that we have too many games to run to ever have time to do the inserting, or at least the way the system is setup now where you can either process games, or insert boxscore results.

I am now working on a new solution which will make use of a backup system in which it should always be possible to both run games and insert boxscore results before the games are completed. Its about half finished, and should be ready for thursday's games..

This Post:
135277.10 in reply to 135277.9
Date: 4/6/2010 3:50:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
and how long will it take to fix it for today's games?

To: dio
This Post:
135277.11 in reply to 135277.10
Date: 4/6/2010 3:57:17 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
they are inserting as we speak.. it just takes a long time because we built up such a backlog not having time to insert them most of today... i expect in the next hour they will be done.

I have finished now implementing our new solution, and will be monitoring it for the rest of today's games.. but the real test will be on thursday.