BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Draft has to go/be changed

Draft has to go/be changed

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/24/2010 4:11:45 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the draft should be removed, because the most important prerequisites for it to "work" are not met in this game:

The draft was installed to ensure that unsuccessful teams in leagues that dont pro/demote teams get the top-talent to be able to compete with the better teams, so in BB:

- teams can get promoted
- players are too bad to be a significant improvement for a team from the beginning (maybe they are in league IV)
- losing teams wont improve through drafting a good rookie (even the money you get for selling a guy doesnt change much in higher leagues)
- even if you draft early, you are not guaranteed to get a top prospect

So I think there are two possible solutions:

1. make skills/talent/age/height availiable and visible to everybody, so it is "clear" who should be drafted at which position. I have never scouted a player of the next years NBA draft class and still I have a pretty good idea of what it will lool like (tons of mock drafts/reports on the internets)

2. remove the draft and install youth squads on every team (except bots).

A youth sqaud could work like this:

You have to spend money for it weekly, just like we do for scouting, the more you invest the better your output will be. You can define guidelines how young players in those teams should be developed and trained, so for example, you spend 100k a week, you get 10 points you can distribute on lets say "Basics" (FT, DR, STA, HN), "Offense", "Defense".

The youth roster consits of 10 players, from the age of 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 (2x each) stats like position, height (changes over the years, so some players will grow), age are known for each player.

The two oldest players leave the youth squad to play with the pro team once they reach the age of 18 - I think those players should be somewhat stronger than the rookies we have nowadays (maybe 7k salaries for the top-guys)

I think that would be a very transparent and frais system as you could control your output to a certain degree and take out the luck-factor we have with the draft right now + smaller countries NTs would profit from it in the long term too.

Happy 1-ballin' everybody :D

This Post:
136956.2 in reply to 136956.1
Date: 3/24/2010 5:19:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry but I just can't agree with a lot of this. Maybe there are youth squads in Österreich but in most of the leagues I follow they simply just don't exist like that. They do have this feature in games like Hatrick so maybe it is realistic for European football.

One part I do agree with is that there should be more information, but there is already another thread on this. Maybe you should get a basic 5 ball report on every player for free. Then the first scouting gives you the exact grade, A+, A, A- etc and the second scouting gives you the potential. This would be very similar to the current system, would still mean there were a lot of surprises but would mean no-one could think Aaron Gray was better than Lebron James.

This Post:
136956.3 in reply to 136956.2
Date: 3/24/2010 1:06:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry but I just can't agree with a lot of this. Maybe there are youth squads in Österreich but in most of the leagues I follow they simply just don't exist like that. They do have this feature in games like Hatrick so maybe it is realistic for European football.

It does not matter if they exist in the real world YOU know, it only depends if it works with the current regime or not - and in my opinion this draft system fails in an environment where teams move up and down in leagues.

This Post:
136956.5 in reply to 136956.1
Date: 3/24/2010 11:04:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the only thing that needs changing is to reveal the players height. How can you scout a player and not know his height?? this is like basic information

The most frustrating thing for me this draft was drafting a 6'5 C and a 6'2 PF. Pretty useless to anybody that had intention of training big men.

This Post:
136956.7 in reply to 136956.5
Date: 3/25/2010 12:47:45 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
but useful if you wanna train SF
small C and PF have already some good inside stats, you train those when they are young and then after a year of two you switch to outside training

it's hard, but those versatile players are the most expensive and useful players in the game

This Post:
136956.8 in reply to 136956.7
Date: 3/25/2010 7:30:36 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
True but like I said, I have a Big man training regime with my other trainees being big men so getting a 6'5 player is useless as I am not going to change my whole training regime for that one player.

That is where the frustration comes from.