BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Draft issues

Draft issues

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 1/29/2008 5:15:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have an issue with the draft. As a conference winner, I get last pick each round - this is too much of a disadvantage,

I spent the full amount almost every week to scout, and barely had any info at all, and only on half of the players (only about 1 quarter had more than a star rating).

And then, as someone who has now been promoted, I get draft-shafted with 3 useless players who I will inevitably have to sell in order to try and pick up someone who will actually be useful to my team.

What is the point of being promoted if my team is status-quo, and I just get demoted again?

A demoted team needs help, sure, but they get the first pick of the draft, and they'll be in a much easier conference. Promoted teams need help to stay competitive at a higher level.

I think it should be a draft just as in the actual professional leagues - last pick in the first round, 1st pick in the 2nd round, and last pick in the third.

This Post:
14104.2 in reply to 14104.1
Date: 1/29/2008 5:17:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
in the rules is said that the teams who should invest in draft are the teams that hope to be in the last places..

This Post:
14104.3 in reply to 14104.1
Date: 1/29/2008 5:20:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it should be a draft just as in the actual professional leagues - last pick in the first round, 1st pick in the 2nd round, and last pick in the third.

There aren't any professional leagues (besides the startup AAFL) in the USA that uses such a method.

The 4 major professional leagues all use the same order for each round.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
14104.4 in reply to 14104.3
Date: 1/30/2008 12:58:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hrm...for some reason I thought they used reverse order in the pro leagues (except football which I knew didn't)...but only baseball has an order shift with the sandwich picks.

However, it's not as important in the Pro leagues anyhow, as they're in the same league every year, so parity is not as difficult to achieve...

But for BB we need to have SOME form of parity.

My 3 picks this year:

#1:
Jump Shot: atrocious Jump Range: atrocious
Outside Def.: atrocious Handling: inept
Driving: mediocre Passing: atrocious
Inside Shot: average Inside Def.: respectable
Rebounding: respectable Shot Blocking: inept
Stamina: awful Free Throw: average

#2:
Jump Shot: mediocre Jump Range: average
Outside Def.: mediocre Handling: mediocre
Driving: average Passing: awful
Inside Shot: atrocious Inside Def.: mediocre
Rebounding: average Shot Blocking: average
Stamina: mediocre Free Throw: inept

#3:
Jump Shot: inept Jump Range: atrocious
Outside Def.: mediocre Handling: awful
Driving: mediocre Passing: mediocre
Inside Shot: atrocious Inside Def.: pitiful
Rebounding: pitiful Shot Blocking: average
Stamina: pitiful Free Throw: respectable

--> All absolutely useless. I've only been in this game for a season and a half, and yet my worst player is better that all three of these players.
AND this is after $40K/week for scouting almost all season.

This Post:
14104.5 in reply to 14104.4
Date: 1/30/2008 2:24:56 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
--> All absolutely useless. I've only been in this game for a season and a half, and yet my worst player is better that all three of these players.

I could pretty much describe my draft in much the same manner - but out of the three draftees, all on the TL, the worst is the only one to garner a bid so far. Go figure.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
14104.6 in reply to 14104.5
Date: 1/30/2008 5:47:53 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

I could pretty much describe my draft in much the same manner - but out of the three draftees, all on the TL, the worst is the only one to garner a bid so far. Go figure.

For established teams (ie over 1.5 seasons) surely the draft is then meaningless for them? It will only be worthwhile if the BB community continues to grow as most people now will have 5 starters and most likely 2/3 reserves better than what they were offered... obviously a few exceptions.. so if the BB community hovers around 20,000 unless the draft picks are going to weigh in much better on average it seems a waste of money...

also even if you dont invest in scouting you still get 25% star ratings....

early days but i feel if it continues as it is it will only be required once every 3-4 seasons or there will be a massive divide where the top teams rely on the lower teams as feeders for their squads.... (not ideal IMO)

havent put my finger on what i would do.... will think on it and revert!

This Post:
14104.7 in reply to 14104.5
Date: 1/30/2008 9:16:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
And don't you see a problem with this?

What's the point of a draft if we're all going to just TL our players? We need a draft where we can at least grab one or two players to use as a base for our future.

Last season's draft was perfect - although 2 of the 3 players didn't pan out, the first pick is now my starting center. That was after I finished 5th, so my pick was the middle of the pack, and I still ended up with a very good player, who i was able to train up to a starter...

First picks in a draft should, in most cases, with scouting at least, be able to commence as decent bench players on par with what you have. Sure, there will be bust picks now and then in any league, but I've rarely heard of a draft in any league with a decent scouting program where every single pick turned out to be useless...

This Post:
14104.8 in reply to 14104.7
Date: 1/30/2008 12:25:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The first two drafts were productive for me, one player is still with me and was a stalwart on the USA NT, and another from the 2nd draft sold for a healthy profit after some training.

I'm satisfied with how my drafting has turned out, and I expect some seasons to have it be a little more miss than hit.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
14104.9 in reply to 14104.8
Date: 1/30/2008 12:33:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, I'll have to wait and see what turns out next year.

In the meantime, I'm holding on to one player and I will train him up a little. The other two (and one of my other players) are now on the TL. I just hope that I will be able to compete in the top division, and that I won't be auto-demoted...