BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > AllStar Private League

AllStar Private League

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 5/5/2010 12:30:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Wouldn't it be awesome if you and a group of your friends created an All-Star team that could challenge other All-Star teams in private league matches? I would love to see this as a private league option.

I've given this a bit of thought, and here's how I think it could be implemented:

- A person could start a new group, lets call it an "Alliance" while we try and figure out a cooler sounding name.
- This person is then designated the leader of the alliance, and can invite other teams to his alliance.
- The alliance has its own page, with its own forum for discussion. I would say the alliance page should look very much like a team page (with roster, schedule, team stats, etc).
- The leader of the alliance can then create a roster, using any player from any team that is in the alliance - hence creating an all star team.
- A maximum roster of 30 can be chosen (I believe this is also the maximum roster for a regular team?)
- The alliance will have key statistics that will give some indication as to how good the team is, eg "Average Salary".

OK, so thats how an alliance is setup. Now setting up an Alliance vs Alliance league is very much like setting up a private league - An alliance leader can create a private league, and invite other alliance leaders to join the league. To make this easier, maybe the following features can be implemented:

- A page that shows any alliances that is looking for a private league.
- Alliances listed on this page should show their average salary, so the person inviting can determine whether the alliance will be competitive, or whether they are too good, or not good enough, etc.

Anyway, those are my ideas so far. I think it'll be a great implementation, especially for teams that aren't good enough to have players on national teams or U21 teams, and all star weekend only comes once a season. I mean, it would be great to see my star small forward in a team with my friends star centre and my other friends star point guard, etc.

This will also promote a better community and teamwork. Example: in my alliance i focus on training outside shooting while my alliance team member focuses on training inside scoring, etc.

A lot of the technical infrastructure is already there, like private leagues, federations (for private forums), etc. so hopefully it wont be too much additional work.

Anyway, would love to hear some feedback! Flame away!

This Post:
142936.2 in reply to 142936.1
Date: 5/5/2010 12:44:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I love the idea, would add another dimension to the game. However I think it could be very hard to code something like this. Also it could be open to corruption as the leader of the "Alliance" could see all stats of all players in his "Alliance" and he could reveal these stats to other players.

Good idea, but I think there are other features that the game needs that should be prioritized higher than this.
Well thought out though.

This Post:
142936.3 in reply to 142936.1
Date: 5/5/2010 12:56:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
yeh awesome idea man! my friends & I would definitely like to join forces & take on other private league "Allined" teams.

they kind of already do this for National games & U21 games, so this additional feature would be awesome for people who currently purchase the supporter feature. 1 private league game a week is oK, but if I had a choice I'd prefer to have a Private League All Star team over a Private League comp.

great idea, hopefully the Buzzer Beater gods will consider it or even consider something along these grounds for people who purchase the Supporter feature & continue to grow the Buzzer Beater legacy!!

jw

This Post:
142936.4 in reply to 142936.2
Date: 5/5/2010 1:02:39 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your feedback Naker!

I agree, opening up your whole roster to the leader of the alliance is bad, because it opens up your whole teams weaknesses and strengths. Let's amend that, and have it work the following way instead:

- People that the Alliance leader invites can "offer" specific players up to be used in the Alliance All Star team. Eg, I offer my star small forward and shooting guard to be used. This way, only two of my players have their stats viewable instead of my whole team.

I also agree that there are other features that are important, like improvements to current functionality, improved stability, etc. However, I also think new features to the game are important, to keep it fresh and exciting! I've known this game for nearly two years now, and don't remember when the last time a major feature was introduced. (I used to have a div3 team, but that went bot due to inactivity. I have only just recently returned to BB this season).

With respect to difficulty, yes I agree it is not trivial, but I would also say it is not a huge development from scratch, as a lot of the functionality is already there, it just needs to be utilised a little differently. Of course I don't see this being developed by the next season or anything, but to have the BB give it serious consideration and maybe implemented over the next year would be fantastic!

To: JW
This Post:
142936.5 in reply to 142936.3
Date: 5/5/2010 1:09:04 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the support JW.

My sentiments exactly! The technology is there, utilised for U21 teams, NT teams, even public league all star games. Just need to expand it a bit more for some juicy all-star private league action!

This Post:
142936.6 in reply to 142936.4
Date: 5/5/2010 1:09:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
No worries, I like the solution you offered. Allowing teams to offer up specific players only to the alliance is a good way to go and minimizes the risk of someone exposing your entire teams stats. Just out of curiousity, will all members within an alliance be able to see the stats of all the players that are chosen to be on the alliance team? I think they should be able to otherwise it would be a little boring and everyone would prefer to be the leader of the alliance.

Then there could be an Alliance competition, where the top 1024 Alliance teams around the world battle it out on Friday nights to see which collection of superstars are the best. Kind of like a world cup with superstar teams but for supporters only. And then the winner could get a trophy or something.

This Post:
142936.7 in reply to 142936.2
Date: 5/5/2010 1:30:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
That's a great idea!!! I have a group of friends and I want to put in my best player along with theirs to see how our team would match against other groups. I don't think this is restricted to just one nation, hopefully we can match up against any group around the world.

Last edited by datzilla at 5/5/2010 1:37:08 AM

Yo! Yo! D for D best PF in D Aussie BB. D Name is Kye Duffill (10080211), averages nothing but pure amazing! Vote for Duffman!
This Post:
142936.8 in reply to 142936.6
Date: 5/5/2010 1:37:52 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah to keep it fair, I think all members in the alliance should be able to see stats of all players on the Alliance Roster.
And of course, I see the leader of the alliance as being the facilitator of the process - i would presume to say that alliances should be ruled by democracy (which is why I suggest a private forum for each alliance to discuss tactics, lineups, etc)

I love the way you're thinking! I thought exactly the same thing, having a "Tournament" style of the top alliance teams to duke it out, with a trophy as a reward. Didn't want to suggest it in my original post to avoid clutter, but definitely a very cool feature!

Baby steps though.... baby steps... :)

C;mon BB's read this and say you'll do it! :) Or at least think about it! :D

Last edited by akuma at 5/5/2010 1:38:43 AM

This Post:
142936.9 in reply to 142936.8
Date: 5/5/2010 1:42:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
should there be a limit on the size of an alliance? How do we keep fairness so that alliance size doesn't reflect to team strength & performance?

Last edited by datzilla at 5/5/2010 1:44:23 AM

Yo! Yo! D for D best PF in D Aussie BB. D Name is Kye Duffill (10080211), averages nothing but pure amazing! Vote for Duffman!

This Post:
142936.10 in reply to 142936.9
Date: 5/5/2010 1:46:36 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah man I would say there should be a cap of how many teams are in an alliance.

8 sounds like a good number?
Of course, it doesnt necessarily have to be 8, just up to 8

This Post:
142936.11 in reply to 142936.10
Date: 5/5/2010 1:59:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I like an 8 team cap. To make more alliance teams that are more similarly skilled you could make it a 5 team max though.