BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Zone Defense

Zone Defense

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 6/21/2010 1:33:01 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm a bit confused how the defense works in a zone (for this game). Can anybody explain it to me? I understand that a 3-2 will give an advantage to perimeter defense and all that simple stuff, but in regards to who is guarding whom I have trouble. For example, will my PG be guarding their PG for most of the game, with a bit of an extra boost from his teamates. If their PG is driving, does my center pick him up? I would think that if my center picked up his PG when driving, then my center would have the huge advantage.

I'm particularly having trouble understanding how the "I want me () to play defense as ()" works for a zone.

So anybody that understands this, I would really appreciate it if you could explain it to me. I realize I might have the fundamentals completely off...I just can't imagine that the game engine for defense functions at all like real basketball for zones so I have no idea what to expect with this.

This Post:
147529.2 in reply to 147529.1
Date: 6/23/2010 2:39:13 PM
Zwölf
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Zwölf 2
(147635.4)

"The only difference between personal and zone coverage is that matchups on each possession will be slightly randomized when zone defense is chosen"

Perhaps that thread and particularly GM-kozlodoevs words explain the issue a bit for you, though it isnt very clear (the thread).

As I understand it, yes, your PG will be guarding their PG most of the game, but sometimes, randomly, your other players guard him too. And if you set for example your SF to play defence as PG, then he will defend their PG most of the game.
In real life basketball when their PG drives, naturally your C picks him up, but I dont think it works like that in this game. When he drives he'll be still guarded normally (the way I just explained).
Thats what I think. Hope you understand it. Hope it helps :)

Rubbercube