Bugs, bugs, bugs > Experience

Experience (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 8/31/2010 6:38:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi folks,

I just ha a look at my experience pops in the last time (25 weeks). I had exactly 6 pops on my players, which seems to be very low. I know, it is the same for everyone and I dont want to complain about it. I just want to know if it really is possible to get a player with xp greater than 15 or sth like that.

I searched for some old Posts of the BBs where they showed how real NBA-players would look for them since I remembered, that these guys had a extremely high experience. Here is for example Lebron James:

Jump Shot: prominent Jump Range: awful
Outside Def.: strong Handling: prominent
Driving: legendary Passing: prodigious
Inside Shot: prolific Inside Def.: proficient
Rebounding: respectable Shot Blocking: mediocre
Stamina: respectable Free Throw: prominent

Experience: legendary

Two posts later BB-Forrest said: "lebron is a 5th year starter in the league with playoff experience, so I think a lot of experience is appropriate..."

I know, that his skills would look different right now since the BB-players in general are better now. However I am really surprised, that a player with 5 seasons and playoff-experience can have a xp of 20 (accorindg to the passages above), while in realitiy players with 10 seasons and 9 times playoffs is only at 7 xp (I dont know at which level he started).

I also know, that I quoted very old posts of the BBs, but I still think that there is something wrong with the experience calculation, because we will never ever see a guy with both, good skills and ver high experience.

Now here is what I really wanted to know.... is it working as expected, so that we will never see a guy with legendary experience or is there some misscalculation in the formula for experience?

This Post:
155734.2 in reply to 155734.1
Date: 9/11/2010 8:15:05 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi folks,

I just ha a look at my experience pops in the last time (25 weeks). I had exactly 6 pops on my players, which seems to be very low. I know, it is the same for everyone and I dont want to complain about it. I just want to know if it really is possible to get a player with xp greater than 15 or sth like that.

I searched for some old Posts of the BBs where they showed how real NBA-players would look for them since I remembered, that these guys had a extremely high experience. Here is for example Lebron James:

Jump Shot: prominent Jump Range: awful
Outside Def.: strong Handling: prominent
Driving: legendary Passing: prodigious
Inside Shot: prolific Inside Def.: proficient
Rebounding: respectable Shot Blocking: mediocre
Stamina: respectable Free Throw: prominent

Experience: legendary

Two posts later BB-Forrest said: "lebron is a 5th year starter in the league with playoff experience, so I think a lot of experience is appropriate..."

I know, that his skills would look different right now since the BB-players in general are better now. However I am really surprised, that a player with 5 seasons and playoff-experience can have a xp of 20 (accorindg to the passages above), while in realitiy players with 10 seasons and 9 times playoffs is only at 7 xp (I dont know at which level he started).

I also know, that I quoted very old posts of the BBs, but I still think that there is something wrong with the experience calculation, because we will never ever see a guy with both, good skills and ver high experience.

Now here is what I really wanted to know.... is it working as expected, so that we will never see a guy with legendary experience or is there some misscalculation in the formula for experience?

Interesting post. It's a shame you haven't gotten any replies to this.

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.
This Post:
155734.3 in reply to 155734.2
Date: 9/11/2010 9:20:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, obviously the speed of gaining experience isn't a bug. Regardless, it's pretty obvious that the LeBron James of the above example does not correspond at all to the experience model of BuzzerBeater. There are many pro-league level players with more than 5 seasons as starters and playoff experience who are not even close to legendary experience. I don't think BB-Forrest's comment should be taken in the way that a few seasons and playoff appearances will result in very high levels of experience in BuzzerBeater, but more in the way that James can be considered an experienced player in real life even though he is a pretty young man (even in world of sports). Obviously he's a top player and a leader, so he must have some experience.

I believe the reason LeBron's skills and experience look the way they do is that these sort of distributions led to most realistic results (i.e., most like real life results of the teams) with the game engine in its past state. The skill/experience distribution would probably be somewhat different today, since the game engine has been updated. But I think LeBron would still have a very high experience, higher than what we see for example on many national team players in BuzzerBeater.

It seems the range of experience used in BuzzerBeater is fairly limited or at least a fairly large group of players stay at low levels. Anyway, if we want to have such discussions, we must use other forums. As far as we know, there is no reason to suspect a bug here. I'll close this, but feel free to open the discussion again (just not here).