BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Garbage Time

Garbage Time

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 2/14/2008 2:38:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Actual the second row becomes all the garbage time, maybe this is a good solution for a lot cases ... But in todays cup game this solution looks a little bit strange to me, in the last ~15 minutes my second lineup stand on the court without changing any player. One of those second line Up players plays nearly the full game, because one of my starter get early 4 Fouls and even the third row getting their minutes(ok i shouldn't post that 3 minutes before ent, now the third line comes on court).

My solution for garbage time was, that in garbage time the order changes so that players with few minutes(in this game) stand in front and players with many minutes takes the second or third spot. And not that the second lineup plays till their dies ;)

Last edited by CrazyEye at 2/14/2008 2:40:00 PM

This Post:
16163.2 in reply to 16163.1
Date: 2/14/2008 5:45:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had to read nearly that whole post to figure out what "garbage time" is. I see you are referring to the Blowout Rule.

The design of the Blowout Rule is that when you are up by 20+ late in the second half, the players you selected as your starters will be benched by the coach automatically. The idea is to save your starters from injury when you don't really need them to be playing; and also to save newbies from getting routinely crushed by 70 points and quitting the game. (At least this is how I understood it, if I am wrong someone please correct me)

It is an element of RL basketball that is alive and well in BB. I understand that it is frustrating from a training-minutes perspective, particularly in the 3rd game of the week.

EDIT=You won your game by 40 points, and the team you played had absolute crap for defense. Perhaps if you had played a slower offense like Patient or Low Post rather than Push the Ball, you might have had better luck with your training minutes.

Last edited by darykjozef at 2/14/2008 5:49:40 PM

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.
This Post:
16163.3 in reply to 16163.2
Date: 2/14/2008 6:11:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
my training minutes would gone silly to, but blowout time( sry for the garbage but we call it so even in german so i think we use the right english term) is used to give player with less playing time a chanche to compete ... But this isn't just the second row, this is especially the third row and when a starter was sitting onn the bench the whole game he would his game practice too ...

If you say it to protect "noobs" from getting crushed, this is silly in this game because the second row is sometimes stroger then the first one, esspecialy against weak opponents.

And this system won't save my trainings minutes, but its sometimes silly if 2 Backup plays 40 minutes(or even 30+) and the starters mostly under 20.(nand the third row who mostly profit rom blowout time, get 3 minutes^^)

Edit: Why is garbage time such a bad word? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garbage_time

Last edited by CrazyEye at 2/14/2008 6:15:11 PM

This Post:
16163.4 in reply to 16163.2
Date: 2/14/2008 6:21:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
mmh maybe they could change that 48 minute training rule, instead of fasten the training they could raise the minutes to max, you could choose then to concentrate and train faster on less players and a bigger risk of an injury, or try to train more players with less risk and maybe better gameshape, if training is based on playing time, more playing time should bring more train,
or just take it away from playing time and make the training seperated from games, like you choose in a menu from your overall training time which players get how much, by also risking injuries.

that instead of playing cup/league-games with b-team or c-team...

This Post:
16163.5 in reply to 16163.3
Date: 2/14/2008 6:28:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Nothing wrong with calling it garbage time, I'd just never heard it called that =)

I think most of what you are saying is a direct result of how managers routinely set lineups based on how BB uses minutes played to affect training and Game Shape and how the coach picks from your depth chart. The fact that the strongest players are sometimes set as backups or reserves in order to spread playing minutes more evenly across all players is what makes garbage time frustrating.

The only way around this from a suggestions perspective is to make Game Shape random, and completely removed from playing minutes. Then the only issue with garbage time would be making certain your trainees got appropriate playing time to train effectively.

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.
This Post:
16163.6 in reply to 16163.5
Date: 2/15/2008 7:33:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
First of all in America it is called garbage time. IT comes from playing the worst players on your team and giving them minutes that are equal to garbage because they don't matter. Now on to why this forum was actually created. I won all 3 games this week by a total of 119 points and my 11th player played 17 minutes and my 12th player played 2 minutes. Both of them should have been playing a lot more considering i had each game wrapped up before the 4th quarter even started. Why should i even keep them in my lineup if they are not going to play when I'm up 50. Also if a player got hurt in the last 3 minutes of a game when my 11th or 12th player should have been on the court would be a reason for a coach to be fined or fired.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.
This Post:
16163.9 in reply to 16163.7
Date: 11/17/2008 4:23:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think there should be non garbage time in the playoff finals. As simple as that.
It's an unnecessary risk of an hart attack :)

Secondly, I am in favor of garbage (unlike other users), but I think it should apply to both winning and losing teams.

This Post:
16163.10 in reply to 16163.9
Date: 1/30/2009 12:22:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm strongly perplexed by how the garbage time/blowout rule is working right now.

The thing that i find mostly unpleasant is about the final result of the match.
I just lost a PL game after being 24 points ahead at the end of 3rd. Then my bench got on the field and in 5 minutes the 24 points became 9, and only then my starters got back. Then the fatigue accumulated by my full-court press finished the job and i lost at OT :)
While i don't really care about today match, i don't think that stuff like this should easily happen in a PO or important RS match. Sure my opponent can have a miracle 4th quarter, but AUTOMATICALLY giving him the chanche to get 15 pts for free is plain ridicolous.

In my opinion garbage time should be atleast optional, or apply for both teams.
As it is now, when i put my best 5 men on the floor (and the bench is sadly not as strong) i know that ending the 3rd quarter winning by 21 is much more worse than ending it winning by 15. I shouldn't be scared of being winning of more than 20 points, damn! :P

I'm very curious of hearing the opinion of a BB about it, of what they had in mind when they decided it to work like this, and if they think it's ok as it is now.

This Post:
16163.11 in reply to 16163.9
Date: 1/30/2009 12:49:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think there should be non garbage time in the playoff finals. As simple as that.
It's an unnecessary risk of an hart attack :)

Secondly, I am in favor of garbage (unlike other users), but I think it should apply to both winning and losing teams.

I agrre with first proposal,because i don't think that in a single game of Po any team plays wihout attention
About the second...i think that the losing team should maintain his starters on the field,if they not recover in a short time at least a little bit of disadvantage,garbace time should be applied also to the losing team