BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Improving competativeness between old and new users

Improving competativeness between old and new users (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/03/2011 19:30:57
Overall Posts Rated:
[As thread's name could not be changed by the thread's creator (Opened a new thread about that too...), I've opened a new thread that generalized the idea I've already wrote about for a wider discussion.]

The problem to be discussed:

If ,for example, every season a top team adds 1M to their value, than they'll have 10M advantage when the new user will join 10 seasons afterwards.
This difference will (most likely) not be reduced, and it (most likely) will get bigger, as the "old" team could invest more and by that enlarging their future profit.
Due to that, old users have great advantage over new ones. An advantage that is basically unlikely be catched-up by the new team.

I brang one suggestion for handling it (See below). Here is the place and time to add your suggestions.
My suggestion had been to add soft-cap and hard-cap that will be defined upon league's balance (each league will have their own caps). This had been also the solution in the NBA and other leagues in the US, which caused them (the leagues) to be a "great field of competativeness".

This Post:
201163.2 in reply to 201163.1
Date: 11/03/2011 21:40:50
Overall Posts Rated:
You sure like to bang on the same (non)issues...

Your idea is based on this vague premise that
every season a top team adds 1M to their value
. My idea is that this just not true. First, let me make sure that you are not suggesting that a new team in a div IV should be able to compete with teams in the top division right away? Not that loony, right? Good. The way I see it is that the economic is not built in a way that teams can just stockpile lots of money (except for countries with very few teams, not going into that). Basically, there is a given amount of talent you need to compete with the other teams in your division, and that correlates to a given salary range. Teams that overspend on salaries get into financial trouble, you can't go below -500k. So if a team wants to win, then any money lying around is spent to improve the roster, in order to win. Standing around with crappy teams just to make money is not really the point of the game.

Teams that promote get cash bonuses to help them bridge the gap to the higher division teams. And the arena size debate is also nonsensical, since bigger arenas then have to lower prices to fill the seats. So having 8000 bleachers @ $15 each is the same as having 12000 @ $10 each.

Point is, it takes time and patience to build a good team and take it to the upper divisions. You only needed one season to promote to div IV, so it wasn't so hard for the newcomer... A "salary cap" here is already in place. Teams have limited sources of revenue, so they just cannot afford to overspend on salaries, they would go bankrupt in a matter of weeks.

This Post:
201163.3 in reply to 201163.1
Date: 11/04/2011 02:40:00
Overall Posts Rated:
So, how is this a different topic from (200771.1)? This looks like the same discussion with same arguments, so my first take would be to close this thread and continue in the original thread.

This Post:
201163.4 in reply to 201163.3
Date: 11/04/2011 03:53:30
Overall Posts Rated:
So, how is this a different topic from (200771.1)? This looks like the same discussion with same arguments, so my first take would be to close this thread and continue in the original thread.

exactly. I close it.