BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Not promoting

Not promoting

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/6/2011 8:42:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Right now I'm getting shot down for my idea and I want more opinions.

I'm in D.IV and I bought an old roster that could win so I could make money and build an arena. My plan is to not promote for a few seasons to build up the arena which will make me more money which will allow me to buy players.

I was advised to promote without doing that because I will make money on the promotion and my arena was always full. However then I would demote the next season.

Is my idea down right dumb or is it got some truth to build me arena in D.IV while I can?

This Post:
204094.2 in reply to 204094.1
Date: 12/6/2011 9:17:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Gday Bloke

i can only advise based on my experience with the game.

If you are planning to NOT promote for the next few seasons, why not keep your roster at a bare minimum?

What i mean by that is, having scrub players who are only paying a salary of like 1-2K a week, and having only 5-7 players on your roster, and having all your staff as basic staff who dont earn much wage.

you would make a killing in money, and yes your performances will suffer, so you may need to drop your arena prices to reflect this cause you wont sell out by losing all the time, but in the long run, the amount of money you will save on wages will help you build up your arena

i think when its time to promote, and you are satisfied with how many seats your arena has, then go out and purchase some good players who can get you that promotion.

Dont get me wrong mate, promoting is a great idea, but if you havent got the arena to go with it, its not really much point

anyways, thats my thoughts, and best of luck to you mate

cheers, Roozer

This Post:
204094.3 in reply to 204094.1
Date: 12/6/2011 9:45:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well its smart that you want to build your arena but you could always do that once you promote into III. as well. Next year is going to be a rebuilding anyways for you since almost all your players are 32+ for ages so why not promote, sell your older players, build up your arena and then promote back down? This way you'll have a bigger arena, a younger team and you would be able to get the top draft pick for your III. league. Just a suggestion though

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs
This Post:
204094.4 in reply to 204094.2
Date: 12/6/2011 10:52:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Two problems with this idea. First there is a salary floor in Div IV. so you would need to spend at least that much on players (I think it's around 50k). Second and most importantly, if you tank a season and end up demoting, you will lose a ton of money in the next season because no one will come to your games and you will make no money from your area. There is a team in my league that tank last season, demoted, and now his weekly income is negative 60k because no one shows up to his games.

Your best bet is to shoot for 5th place in your league. That way you won't have to worry about being demoted.

This Post:
204094.5 in reply to 204094.4
Date: 12/7/2011 11:58:25 AM
Cassville Yuck
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yuckville Cass
If had was to do it all again I would promote into D3 with no less than 12k seating in my arena. You get a pretty massive spike in attendance when you promote from 4 to 3. USA D3 seems to be getting tougher every season. Most teams that cone up spend their first season just trying to stay up. You won't have a lot of spare cash to work on your arena for your first couple seasons in three.

That being said, if I were you I would find three guard trainees with superstar or mvp potential and start building them over the next couple seasons. Have good enough big men to keep you in D4 and crank on your arena. When you get it to where it is D3 ready your trainees will be D3 ready and you can work on swapping out Bigs that can push you into 3. Once you get to 3 you will probably upgrade your Bigs again.

Cruise through D3 and look at some of those arenas of the top teams. That will give you an idea of what you are up against.

This Post:
204094.7 in reply to 204094.1
Date: 12/7/2011 7:02:06 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yuck and bossofbosses bring up good points, but I don't think tanking makes sense for you right now. You're 9-1, you'll have HCA through the finals if you win your game with Barack Oballers, and the money you'd make off the TL for your aging players wouldn't buy you trainees of any real value at this point. The promotion bonus is huge, like Yuck mentioned. You're looking at a 300k promotion bonus plus at least 50k more in attendance revenue, even if you tank next season. More if you increase your arena size. After 11 home games, that's an extra 850k above what you would make in D4 next season. That doesn't factor in the TV contract or increased merchandise revenue either. That will give you the money to buy some real trainees you can keep long term. Taking Yuck's advice and buying young trainees right now would realistically take 3 seasons anyway. Promoting is not going to hurt your bottom line much, if at all. I'd think it would help because you would be in line for a great draft pick if you finish 8th next season.

To: Yuck
This Post:
204094.8 in reply to 204094.5
Date: 12/7/2011 7:29:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I could copy this post and use it as my own. This is exactly what I am working on. D5 to D4 was a huge change for me and found myself way undermanned. Luckily I drafted an 18 year old mvp sf and an 18 year old all-star pg to go with my 20 year old superstar sg.

Now I am training and expanding my arena with the hopes of being good in a few seasons.

This Post:
204094.9 in reply to 204094.1
Date: 12/7/2011 7:37:19 PM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
MiƂwaukee Lethargy
many people will disagree i'm sure, but i see absolutely no point in having a giant arena -- even up to & including Div II.
to state the obvious, 1000 seats filled at $16 nets the same revenue as 2000 seats at $8. zero difference. & if one has so many bleacher seats (or any type) that even with minimal prices they're still half empty, what's the benefit???

More seats does not equal more money. People are almost portraying it as if they double their arena size & they'll double their income. It's simply not true. There's basically a cap on how much you can make in each division. Look -- win games & people will show up, moderately high prices and all. You don't even need an arena over 10k to be successful in DII. certainly not in DIII, DIV, or DV...

not saying a big arena is bad. or that that slowly building it up is bad. just that it's way overvalued.

This Post:
204094.10 in reply to 204094.9
Date: 12/8/2011 4:30:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
many people will disagree i'm sure, but i see absolutely no point in having a giant arena -- even up to & including Div II.
to state the obvious, 1000 seats filled at $16 nets the same revenue as 2000 seats at $8. zero difference. & if one has so many bleacher seats (or any type) that even with minimal prices they're still half empty, what's the benefit???

half empty arena -> fault in arena pricing. You could make it also with small arena, but should avoid it ;)

Your example, thats right mathematical but try to put in 3000 selled placed at 8$ and you are closer to the reality and then you see the difference.

This Post:
204094.11 in reply to 204094.10
Date: 1/9/2012 4:00:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Wow everything has changed since I posted this topic. I sold my trianees and bought a new roster + new trainees.

I am trying to promote with the following roster:

PG: 20k
SG: 40k
SF: 26k
PF: 26k
C: 30k

I think I can promote now!