BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > New team perks

New team perks

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 1/3/2012 10:03:06 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I just started a new team and see I have 300k and 9 points in scouting. Is there anything I can expect each week at the beginning in terms of perks ? extra money or scout points ? Thanks

This Post:
205797.2 in reply to 205797.1
Date: 1/3/2012 10:29:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think you get $50K a week for the first few weeks.

The first thing your should do is read the help manual cover to cover, it will answer most of your questions like this one and will put your knowledge ahead of 75% of the people playing this game that never bothered to do the same.

http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thread=144856&m=1

This Post:
205797.3 in reply to 205797.1
Date: 1/4/2012 8:01:00 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah you get 50k for the first four weeks as a bonus. Scouting points..... you won't get any bonus ones but I'm surprised you started with 9. I started with 10. Dunno how it works. Maybe leftover points from the previous team are carried over. Also you don't have a Player Salary Floor for your first 16 weeks. That means there isn't a minimum salary that you have to pay your players. If you don't have a chance of promoting I'd say you buy some trainees and scrap the rest of your team in order to take full advantage of the absence of a Player Salary Floor. Just have around 10 players in your team and don't buy any more. GS shouldn't be a problem if you don't schedule any scrimmages. Just give your starters 48 min in one game and your backups(can't be called backups now eh? ) 48 minutes in the other game. Don't schedule any scrimmage and get a advanced lvl trainer. A higher lvl trainer is not worth it for you. Hope this helped....

"Falling in love is not at all the most stupid thing that people do but gravitation cannot be held responsible for it."

This Post:
205797.4 in reply to 205797.1
Date: 1/4/2012 8:53:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Step 1 do not spend any money.
Step 2 go through your roster and cut to the minimum you need probably about 8. Fire the rest. Do not fire anyone young if they have the potential to be trained.
Step 3 Read the game manual, FAQ and help threads.
Step 4 Get a mentor the USA has a system in place.
Step 5 have fun!

Edit: I just checked and you already cut to 8. Bad news is no-one great to train, the best is not that good:

Sam Marshall (24478826)
Center
Weekly salary: $ 3 518
Role: draws a paycheck
(BuzzerBeta)
DMI: 9000
Height: 7'2" / 218 cm
Potential: allstar
Game Shape: respectable

Last edited by yodabig at 1/4/2012 8:55:44 AM

This Post:
205797.5 in reply to 205797.4
Date: 1/4/2012 10:38:04 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thank you guys, that extra 50k per week will help. There is no way to stay in 4 so I will be demoted to 5 then this team will need to be built from the ground up. Should be fun but it looks like a long long road. Think I will just cut the team to the 5 players I need so I don't forfeit and mess everyone in the league up. Then at the end of this year cut the rest to the one or 2 I will keep. At that point hope for a decent draft pick. BTW which is the better 10 point draft option or should I actually put money into the draft ? Judging from the team I played yesterday which had 2 or 3 25k per week players it will be several seasons in 5 before I can think of even getting back to 4 or does anyone think that putting money into players now and trying to stay in 4 by the skin of my teeth is a decent option. I don't but would love to get other peoples take on this.

This Post:
205797.6 in reply to 205797.5
Date: 1/4/2012 10:57:00 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
If you're very likely to have one of the worst records in the league, then yeah it can be worthwhile to invest in the draft. Drafted players give you more merchandise income, which in effect lowers their salary. And even in D4 leagues, probably not a huge amount of managers are investing a lot in the draft, so you can easily get a good player.

First, I would suggest deciding whether you want to train guards, or whether you want to train big men. Stick to one kind for now. Many people recommend training guards, as they can be expensive to buy on the transfer list. But bigs are good to train too, so I think it's whatever you prefer. Once you decide that, wait until closer to the end of this season, and when the deadline for playoff eligibility is over, then prices on players will decline. At that point, buy veteran players for the positions you're not going to train. In terms of USA D5, respectable to strong skill levels are decent. Know that at 33 years old, guys can start to lose skills.

Then, I'd probably spend the rest of this season giving a bit of training to Dutton, Marshall, Pizarro and/or Davis (depending on what you might train next season). These guys may never be long term starters, but they could be backups, and as your initial team players, they're counted as home draftees with respect to merchandise bonus. I'd personally choose the guys from those who have good defense skills, and then train either jump shot, or one on one training for the rest of the season.

For the draft, would suggest doing the 10 point scouting combine. This will let you see the ages and heights of the prospects. You'll definitely want to get an 18 year old player, as age affect training speed quite a lot. Then you'll see who has appropriate heights for your choice of guards or bigs (think 6'4" or less, or 6'10" and above, respectively). After that, invest in 2-3 scouting points for the next couple weeks, and "scout" a few guys with your desired height (that's 1 point each). If you find a guy with 4 or 5 orange balls in skills, you could consider spending 2 points to get an estimate of his potential. Then rank him high and hope you grab him!

Ok, I've rambled enough. Any more questions just shoot!

This Post:
205797.7 in reply to 205797.5
Date: 1/4/2012 11:16:44 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
You're better off demoting to DV anyways. Just save up as much $$$ as you can between now and then and figure out how everything works over the next few weeks.

This Post:
205797.8 in reply to 205797.6
Date: 1/4/2012 11:26:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the info, if I demote will my draft stats come from my current league or the league I demote to? Kind of feel I don't want to spend too much money on the draft as it is just a crap shoot and would rather buy from the transfer list.

This Post:
205797.9 in reply to 205797.8
Date: 1/4/2012 11:54:48 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
You always draft from the league you are in that season.

And I agree, I wouldn't spend too much money either, so you could consider buying trainees at the start of next season. I personally believe the own draftee status is quite valuable, and worth spending money on drafting, at least in low divisions. But it's easy to get unlucky, and you don't have a lot of time to do a lot of scouting. Note that scouting points can be saved between seasons, so you could do some scouting now, and use them next season. Even though you'll likely have a better record after demoting, you'll be in a league with many bots, and owners who don't invest in scouting. So you can definitely a get players then too.

I'd suggest checking out players with star to perennial allstar potential. People tend to overpay for high potential guys who will never reach their cap (potential doesn't affect training speed). A lower potential guy who is cheaper can be fully trained for one season and they'll be good players in D5. Fully trained for 2, they'll be decent when you get back to D4. These kind of guys can be had for 50K and less at the start of next season when everyone rushes to unload the trainees they don't want.

This Post:
205797.10 in reply to 205797.9
Date: 1/4/2012 12:27:28 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
That is great info - thanks so much. I am going to just play this season out and save as much money as I can. Then at the end of this season spend some money on 2 big men who are "mature". Then hope I might get a good trainee from the draft (in my league the average scouting is just 6k = no one is scouting) and purchase guard trainees and one good young SG/PG/SF. Train for the next year - rinse repeat.

This Post:
205797.11 in reply to 205797.10
Date: 1/4/2012 12:34:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Spending $$$ on the draft might be a good idea. You'll have a top 3 pick and it looks like one of those other 2 teams has packed it in already.