Help - English > Which direction?

Which direction?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 2/18/2012 9:59:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok, short and sweet, here is the deal.

My team promoted to D4 this season, and it's a tough D4 division in my opinion.

1st Place is 3-0 (beat me 136-112)
2nd place is 3-0 (beat me 120-110)
3rd place is 3-0
4th Place is 2-1 (beat me 100-71)
5th place is 1-2
6th place is 0-3
7th place is 0-3
8th place is 0-3 (which is my team)

As you can see, I've not had an easy schedule at all and have lost to three of the top four teams in the league. My team clearly was not ready for the promotion. I have no doubt my team is as good as 5 through 7.

Should I go ahead and give up on this season and just try to make money and train my players up for next season? If so, I would dump all of my high-priced vets on the TL and keep my team near the salary floor.

Or shoudl I keep fighting and try to make the playoffs? I do have the money to buy some stud players if I want.

If I decide to give up on this season, I know that #8 automatically drops back to D5. And I'm fine with that. I'd rather go back to D5 for a season anyway, continue to train my guys, and continue to put money in my bank. Right now I have $800K in my bank and should easily have close to $2M by the end of this season. But if I finish either #6 or #7, I play in the relagaion series. I would get attendance money for those games, right? Is it home team gets money in those games, or is it split 66/33 like the championship series?

If this were your team, what direction would you take?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

This Post:
210897.2 in reply to 210897.1
Date: 2/18/2012 10:23:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Honestly i think you were ready to promote and have just had some bad luck. In two of your three losses, the other team played with higher attitude (TIE, NORM, CT) then you and the games were still decently close so i think you almost as good as them and the other loss was to the 4th seed, who to me actually appears to be one of the best teams in the league. I would try to stay in IV for a few reasons.

1. Its no fun being in a V. League, sure you win a lot of games by a lot of points but its like having no challenge.

2. The more times you finish towards the bottom of your IV. league but dont demote the more chances you have at getting better trainees, who you could easily train up, or sell to buy a stud and put you in a playoff position. If you demote, however, to play in a V. League you will most likely get 20+ wins again and get crap for your draft picks.

3. If you are going to have about 2 million bucks by the end of the season, and you happen to get a good draft pick you could easily buy a 23-24 year old guard with a high salary (35-45k+) and he could be a game changer for you.

SO BASICALLY IM TELLING YOU TO STAY AND FIGHT. You deserve to be there and i see nothing but positive things for staying in IV next year.

P.S. Yes the relegation series is split 66/33.

Hope this helps.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs
This Post:
210897.3 in reply to 210897.2
Date: 2/18/2012 10:39:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Honestly i think you were ready to promote and have just had some bad luck. In two of your three losses, the other team played with higher attitude (TIE, NORM, CT) then you and the games were still decently close so i think you almost as good as them and the other loss was to the 4th seed, who to me actually appears to be one of the best teams in the league. I would try to stay in IV for a few reasons.

1. Its no fun being in a V. League, sure you win a lot of games by a lot of points but its like having no challenge.

2. The more times you finish towards the bottom of your IV. league but dont demote the more chances you have at getting better trainees, who you could easily train up, or sell to buy a stud and put you in a playoff position. If you demote, however, to play in a V. League you will most likely get 20+ wins again and get crap for your draft picks.

3. If you are going to have about 2 million bucks by the end of the season, and you happen to get a good draft pick you could easily buy a 23-24 year old guard with a high salary (35-45k+) and he could be a game changer for you.

SO BASICALLY IM TELLING YOU TO STAY AND FIGHT. You deserve to be there and i see nothing but positive things for staying in IV next year.

P.S. Yes the relegation series is split 66/33.

Hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I gave you a +1 for the detailed response.

But it seems kinda strange coming from a D5 team :)

I'll have to check your history out and see why you're in D5. Obviously you've been in higher divisions with the knowledge you have.

Anyone else have any opinions about my team and the direction I should take?

This Post:
210897.4 in reply to 210897.3
Date: 2/18/2012 10:43:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
IF you want you can tank back into D5, promote and try it again, but I wouldn't recommend that. Like EBW said, you should stay and fight. You can can still have a pretty good season if you just TIE the teams you know you can't beat, manage GS and enthusiasm and maybe if you have cash, make some good additions.

Message deleted
This Post:
210897.6 in reply to 210897.5
Date: 2/18/2012 11:01:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry, I thought the forums were here to ask questions and get opinions.

Not sure why it bothers you so much. If you don't want to help me with your opinion, then why open the thread?

What have I done to you to deserve such a nasty, rude response?

This Post:
210897.7 in reply to 210897.6
Date: 2/18/2012 11:11:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have a buddy that just promoted from the league you are in, you actually took his place. Looking at the top four teams in your division yes they have good players, but they all have one problem. They don't know how to manage game shape. Looks like you could use some help in that department as well. I have found you have a huge advantage if you manage first enthusiasm (which it looks like you have figured that out), but also game shape. Look at my last game (http://www.buzzerbeater.com/match/42765695/boxscore.aspx) , I played someone that at some positions has better players than I do, but much worse game shape, and I blew him out.

Also with 800k you can buy one great player or two good players, and after you sell the ones on your roster that you replace you will be fine financially.

I promoted to div IV last season, and made it to game 3 of the championship. Not to toot my own horn, but I just managed gameshape and enthusiam and did pretty well.

Last edited by Prof. Bricks at 2/18/2012 11:11:50 PM

Message deleted
This Post:
210897.9 in reply to 210897.8
Date: 2/18/2012 11:21:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
YOure starting the same topics over and over again every day 10 new topics in the help by you and youre told the same thing over and over again.

Not only are you rude, you are very wrong. I've not started a thread on here in way over a week, maybe two weeks, and I've never asked this question on the forums.

This Post:
210897.10 in reply to 210897.7
Date: 2/18/2012 11:26:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have a buddy that just promoted from the league you are in, you actually took his place. Looking at the top four teams in your division yes they have good players, but they all have one problem. They don't know how to manage game shape. Looks like you could use some help in that department as well. I have found you have a huge advantage if you manage first enthusiasm (which it looks like you have figured that out), but also game shape. Look at my last game http://www.buzzerbeater.com/match/42765695/boxscore.aspx , I played someone that at some positions has better players than I do, but much worse game shape, and I blew him out.

Also with 800k you can buy one great player or two good players, and after you sell the ones on your roster that you replace you will be fine financially.

I promoted to div IV last season, and made it to game 3 of the championship. Not to toot my own horn, but I just managed gameshape and enthusiam and did pretty well.
Thanks for the info.

I've actually did pretty well in controlling game shape in the past, but I blew it up to start this season because I lost the first couple games and then decided to go ahead and burn my guys out by trying to win my cup game and get certain guys some training minutes, which I did.

But yea, I agree, better game shape would help my guys. When it's just two league games per week and then a scrimmage, I control my game shapre pretty well. But I messed it up the last two weeks trying to both win and train.

I also have done pretty well in the past on enthusiam, but again, I blew it up early this season just trying to win a game. But it's not worked, and probably set my team back even further.

Again, thanks for the info and opinion, it is greatly appreciated.

This Post:
210897.11 in reply to 210897.3
Date: 2/18/2012 11:28:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
haha actually i havent been in any other league higher then V. I just have gained a lot of info from three different mentors and it sucks being in V. league. BTW don't let these other people get to you, your fine asking questions. Thats how you learn the game better. They are just kinda over-reacting Hopefully we can be in the same IV next year ;)

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs