New Skills Needed

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 03/10/2012 21:01:56
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't think this suggestion is ready yet for the Suggestions thread, so I'm going to start it here for refinement before the developers consider it for improving the game. Anyway, I think it's time to add some player skills to make the game more realistic and dynamic, and I think they'll make the game more interesting.

Set Shot (SS) - There's already a Jump Shot skill, but what happens when a player doesn't jump? A high SS will help the older players in the game make open shots even when they are too old to jump very much. It also helps the "old school" players who like to wear the short shorts. SS will be a factor in Free Throw shooting in addition to the Free Throw skill.

Charisma (CH) - A player with a high CH skill will be able to encourage fans and cheerleaders to cheer harder for their team and improve their team's Enthusiasm, even when on the bench. A high CH will also mean getting an occasional boost in the likelihood of a shot going in when the player charms the guy guarding him into backing down on guarding him so hard. A player with high CH will also command a higher salary than other players with similar skills.

Communication (CO) - The CO skill affects a player's ability to understand other players who speak a different language than his own, which is an important skill in the modern basketball world and particularly in BB when a typical team will have at least 8 nationalities. A high CO skill will improve a team's Game Flow ("I told you to cut to the basket!"), reduce the number of turnovers ("I thought you said to pass the ball!"), and improve team defense ("Why didn't you call that pick?!").

Trash Talk (TT) - A high TT skill means a player will be able to get into another player's head with things like about how his momma's so fat she has her own zip code, or about how his wife/girlfriend is so ugly the trash man won't even pick her up, etc. Having a high TT skill will distract the player he's guarding and cause more turnovers and a lower shooting percentage and will also cause him to commit more fouls since he'll be so angry. These fouls are also more likely to be flagrant fouls (and a resulting injury is also more likely).

I have a bunch of other ideas, but I figure I'll start with the ones that I'm sure everyone will agree will make the game better before I start introducing the more radical ideas.

Poll:  What do you think about the new proposed skills

prodigious
stupendous
phenominal
colassal
legendary

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!

This Post:
212453.4 in reply to 212453.1
Date: 03/11/2012 01:57:01
Overall Posts Rated:
What about ...
Choking in the fourth (LJ4)- This is the ability of player to disapear in the closing quarter and have huge chance to be replaced with Lucky fan who has better odds of closing the the game
Nail Bitting (LEnail) this boost merchandise due to the fact it draws media atention and apearence in Shaq-tin A fool

This should be moved to suggestions forum !

Seriously i never read something more ridicilous what i'll buy 5 skubs with legendary trash talking and make opponents team run away crying in the locker room .
Or i'll charm my opponents star with my homo bench scrub and he'll send him flowers and want to marry him and refuse to shoot the ball and just handing it over to him any one Lola Bunny-Space jam

Last edited by Coach_D at 03/11/2012 03:08:33

This Post:
212453.6 in reply to 212453.5
Date: 03/11/2012 07:55:37
Overall Posts Rated:
Oh yes i forgot about it +1 for you sir

- Chuck ''Come home boy'' :)

This Post:
212453.7 in reply to 212453.1
Date: 03/11/2012 08:11:46
Overall Posts Rated:
New skills is too much of a game-changer for me.

I play a cricket game where some (about 10%) of the players have 'trait's and/or 'preferences'. They work the same way - a minor performance boost in some conditions and a minor performance loss in others/down side of some sort.

Traits that might work for BB:

Committed: A player suffer a lower performance drop off during the game as his stamina falls (but has a slightly higher chance of picking up a minor injury).

Fan favourite: A player has slightly improved performance in home games (but slightly worse performance on the road)

Big mouth: A player is slightly more likely to draw fouls from his opponent (but is slightly more likely to be assessed for a technical foul)

Team leader: The team receives a small enthusiasm boost when he is on court (but the player commands 5% or so higher salary than his skills would otherwise command).

- You get the idea and I'm sure everyone could contribute their own 'traits'.

The important thing in terms of game design is that

1. only a few players have them
2. they make only a small impact on the game
3. they make enough impact to be worthwhile/interesting.

It's a tricky balancing act but if I was a BB, introducing some kind of 'traits' system would be high on my list of things to do to make the game better - and it wouldn't affect the current skill set up.

This Post:
212453.8 in reply to 212453.7
Date: 03/11/2012 08:27:49
Overall Posts Rated:
I like the traits idea better than the new skills. How would you train communication? Something like this: l would like to train pg/sg on rosetta stone for two weeks please.

This Post:
212453.11 in reply to 212453.1
Date: 03/11/2012 10:00:09
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't think this suggestion is ready yet for the Suggestions thread, so I'm going to start it here for refinement before

the creation process should also take place in the suggestion forum so i am going to move it.