BuzzerBeater Forums

Non-BB Global (English) > New to Basketball (not BB)

New to Basketball (not BB)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/28/2008 12:22:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Reposted for Superfly Guy by GM-BadLarry

Hey - dont know if it was a repeat but I managed to sit thru a full game of real Basketball yesterday - Duke v WVU for a place in the sweet sixteen?

I wanted to share my observations and ask if i had interpreted some of what i'd seen correctly. I was impressed with Alexander (C?) from WVU and also the smallest guy (Mezuno?) who walked off with some great stats.

Overall I felt the key area of the whole match was defence.... both teams seemed to be closing down as opposed to standing off and therefore trying to create turnovers... i felt that Handling and Driving are 2 skills that seem vital across all positions.... early on the Duke PG sank two 3 pointers and was at one point totally controlling the play and I can see the importance of the PG needing good passing now. Then later as the game became more open - Alexander (who for me was the MVP) started to exploit holes that Duke left open as they tried to get back in the game.

But the defence seems pivotal to success as if you dont leave a man open inside or out it seems almost impossible to score against...also FTs. Both teams rarely missed shooting i think over 80% in most cases. You really got the feel also for when coaches use timeouts....

How accurate is my assessment? I appreciate that different tactics will demonstrate different strengths and weaknesses.. I am definitely thinking of pumping my OD and Passing for all small guys as opposed to more JS....

This Post:
21388.2 in reply to 21388.1
Date: 3/28/2008 2:17:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
cheers - 2nd thread move in 2 days - perhaps I should hunt around a bit further than english and help!!

This Post:
21388.3 in reply to 21388.2
Date: 3/29/2008 6:51:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes OD and passing for guards is important, not just shooting skills.

Duke play a very jump shot / perimeter style game as they don't really have an elite bigman. Probably a very interesting game to watch but not the most typical. The pace of the game in college games where one team is an underdog is an interesting thing to look at in releation to improving your tactics on BB too. Did the other team try and slow down he favourite, so there were less possesions and the better team couldn't average out a poor performance (never know how to describe this in simple terms).

This Post:
21388.4 in reply to 21388.3
Date: 3/30/2008 1:30:47 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Tbh I thought after the 1st quarter (where Duke took a reasonable lead) WVU seemed to be playing fast all the way to the finish... their OD seemed to snub out Dukes early promise and I guess confidence took over from there.

I hope another game comes on Japanese TV soon and I can make a comparison.