BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Franchise Player

Franchise Player

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 4/7/2012 9:50:47 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
With all the monster salary players selling for really cheap right now I got thinking as to how this problem could be solved. What if a high salary player was a truly sustainable option without having a negative impact on the rest of the team? Demand would obviously increase for such players, and in turn so would price. There are two obvious ways to make a high salary player more sustainable;

1. Reduce the players' salary
2. Give a substantial increase in merchandise to a team with a high salary player

And this is where my suggestion comes in. If you could add a franchise player tag to your highest paid player (buzzerbeater could automatically do this) and receive a substantial merchandise bonus proportional to player salary, then this could justify a high salary player in your team. Alternatively, a salary cap relative to a players' current salary could be used - the player would accept a lower salary to be the star player of the team. A combination of the two could also work. This would naturally make having a high salary player on your team more appealing, and this increase in demand would start to increase transfer prices.

I believe this would alleviate some of the issues surrounding high salary players and would also help NT's as high salary players would be less likely to jump from team to team, losing gameshape week to week. It could also help to stop new teams from going bankrupt - if the price of the player is too high how would they afford him?
I am aware that having a high salary NT player brings merchandise benefits, but for the rest of the players there is no benefit at all (apart from performace of course). A high salary NT player could offer a double bonus, giving an increase in merch for being an NT player and giving the franchise player bonus.

There are obviously reasons why this idea would not be such a good thing, but if we want to sort out the issue around high salary players, what else can be done?
I am interested in any suggestions, and also to any tweaks that could be done to make this idea better, but from my point of view, I believe this idea could be a genuine solution to one of the biggest problems in buzzerbeater.

This Post:
214067.3 in reply to 214067.2
Date: 4/7/2012 10:52:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree that this would solve a lot of the problems. The question is, do we want to remove these players from the game or do we want to make them financially viable and increase the standard of matches in top leagues?

This Post:
214067.5 in reply to 214067.4
Date: 4/7/2012 3:09:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If were looking at the real top of the iceberg we can see that some of them has had a 200k salary cut due to the last seasons changes in salary. Still though they are to expensive.
So i don't think we should keep cutting their salary further but rather cut the cord that they desperately are clinging to as to not get retired.

I entirely agree. If the players get salary cuts to become affordable, they'll keep being trained even further until they're either in need of yet another cut. At some point, if the cuts reach deep enough, player salaries will never be a concern for teams again, which would pretty much get rid of the whole point of having a financial system in the first place, since it'd really no longer force you to make strategic decisions on team composition, just work on hoarding enough money to buy these now-affordable monsters that would be churned out on assembly lines.

This Post:
214067.7 in reply to 214067.6
Date: 4/8/2012 5:20:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Its so sad to see 24-27 old players that have cost like 2mio as a rookie are now worth just 500k because nobody wants 200k+ salary players..

BB has really got to do something.. players like this will always be trained if not by clever managers then by farm teams to get the best players for the NT.

also teams in 3rd-5th league cant afford the salary but can afford to buy the player.. there are too many people getting bankrupt and you cant really blame them, they might be quite new to the game. at least make sure people have enough money to buy a player and pay at least the first salary.. better 2-3 salaries. thats what i said seasons ago but BBs said that wont be a problem..

it is and it will be getting worse as long as more players improve than get worse by aging..

maybe there should be max contracts like in the nba.. 18-20 players cant earn more than 50000. 21-22 150k, 23-25 200k and you wanna train your players further at 26 you may go to 250k or something..

Links to players on sale deleted

Last edited by Foto at 4/8/2012 7:47:34 PM

This Post:
214067.8 in reply to 214067.7
Date: 4/8/2012 5:51:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I disagree about the "you can´t blame them" part. Strongly disagree.

It might help to get a "projected financial development" feature though, which gives you the estimates of your financial development over the course of a season at any point (you might want to add the value for your arena incomes manually), so that the minor league teams stop running out of money all the time.

Otoh, teams going bankrupt actually ADD money to the overall economical circle (as their debt gets erased), so I doubt less team running out of money is going to fix the prices for the top league players.

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, die Dummheit und das All...
This Post:
214067.9 in reply to 214067.8
Date: 4/8/2012 6:47:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
they can count to 4x-200k.. thats 800k in 4 weeks a financial projection might be good but only if you make restrictions.. when buzzerbeater tells you in 4 weeks youll have at best earned 1mio then you should not be able to buy a player that earns 250k a week..i bet half of the people signing up for bb do not yet care if they go bankrupt.. they only check out another browser game

the plan is not to let new users go bankrupt and leave em like "omg buzzerbeater.. what a crap.. the best players are so cheap i can get em but they earn more salary a week than you paid for him" if im new to a game and see the best players cost the least, i wont be excited about the game.

its gotta be "hell yea buzzerbeater is the best ill get all my friends to sign up"
it has been that way and i hope when the first full generation goes to retirement the game will be somehow balanced.

This Post:
214067.11 in reply to 214067.1
Date: 4/9/2012 7:26:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
A better question to ask would probably be if these fans of your team want to buy shirts of the best player, or the player with the highest salary? Often this doesn't go hand in hand.

Then the next question to answer would be if it's viable to see 3rd or lower division teams full of the best players in the world. I'm not sure if Lebron would want to go play in for example the Dutch 1st Division of Basketball instead of the NBA

Last edited by BB-Patrick at 4/9/2012 7:28:39 AM