BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > The main three things that will make this game break the ~50K users limit

The main three things that will make this game break the ~50K users limit (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 4/9/2012 12:16:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This thread is opened for pointing out what are the main three issues that causes this game not to grow beyond the ~50K users, although it has a very good engine, and is built with several cool and important features.

Here are mine;

1) Being a BB-agent is something easy (to those having time), and gives too much advantage to those users over the others.
Basically, one can just focus and be a good player here although it has nothing to do with BB-managing.

BB-agent - Is a user who focuses of making moeny out of buying and selling multiple players during the season. Deals that would have never happen on a real-team.
I've never saw a team buying players and selling them in few weeks at most with a huge diffefrence in value.

How could it be handled?
A) Selling players should have much greater affect on fan-base, even if they weren't key-players at that team.
B) Limiting the revenue on a player upon some calculation of that player's value.
C) Giving the users a TLH (Transfer List History) where they could find a much more reliable value for that type of players, and hence make a better desicions about a deal.
D) Allowing semi-automatic auction, where a user can set its first bid and max bid.
After this part of the auction, online users could put (also) online bids.

2) The game, as a team "climb the ladder", become much more "flat".
The training feature become almost useless.
The draft even useless than that.
And at some point even the tactics is not relevant to most games, as they are much weaker.
This causes, as a reaction, to a league of tankers, where only a few (4-5 at most) teams really trying to win the title, and the others just saving money.
There is no fun in that - playing a very few important games over a full season.

How could it be handled?
A) Tanking should be "punished" by the fan-base.
A team that its owners just being cheap, and tries to earn more money and not improving the team is affected dearly by fan-base in the "real-world".
B) Making the draft something that is worth a while to each league, while keeping the balance between them and weaker leagues.
This could be achieved by a guarded contract for first rounders, and by adjusting the level of draft players to the league they are drafting to.
To balance, their price will be higher for those teams than should be, and their training slower.

3) Lack of competitveness
Each season a team add more assets - money, players, arena size, etc.
This causes that the gap between teams with the same BB-managing levels would never be closed.

Examples of that:
A) Three of the biggest BB-nations (France, Spain and Italy), that their total size is one quarter of all BB community, had not a single team that joined the game later than season-four (checked at the end of season 17!!!).
B) Last season (for example) the standing at the German top division had been pretty much exactly upon order of joining the game.

Basically - on larger nation, it is expected that there was enough good BB-managers that joined at the start, and hence it is less possible to overcome them.
On smaller BB-nations there is much more chance that a good BB-manager is (much) better than those who had joined earlier, and hence could overcome this not BB-managing related gap.

On smaller BB-nation, it causes a much bigger problem, because the users are leaving much sooner, as they face this wall much earlier.

Solutions?
A) Adding Luxury-tax and Salary-cap.
B) Fan-base should be affected upon the strength of the opponent - winning a weaker team has small affect if at all, for example.
Fans will not come that much to see an expected win over a weaker team.

Last edited by Pini פיני at 4/10/2012 12:55:51 PM

This Post:
214199.3 in reply to 214199.1
Date: 4/9/2012 3:19:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
In lithuania we have one great manager whos going back to LBBL for the 3rd time with different team in his 11 seazons or so.... in next seazon hopefully (this year promoted to div II) So basicly its not so hard to climb up to highest division with some luck of course, but personally i think most of the managers are just farming money in league II.

And salary cap would be very helpfull, i agree with it. Since now i have ridiculous situation i am going -28k a week trying to win league IV having 14 game winning streak, which is ridiculous. The more ridiculous is, that we have teams in my league who have even highers salaries and going to get even stronger before playoffs..... My teams virtual salary now is 210k, even if i pay 167k atm since my trainees improving, and there is a team with 250k virtual salary and another with 220k so thats pretty impossible to get out of this league. I think 9 out of 16 teams there have negative income:D

Last edited by Gajus Julijus Cezaris at 4/9/2012 3:21:31 PM

This Post:
214199.4 in reply to 214199.3
Date: 4/9/2012 4:00:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
In lithuania we have one great manager whos going back to LBBL for the 3rd time with different team in his 11 seazons or so.... in next seazon hopefully (this year promoted to div II) So basicly its not so hard to climb up to highest division with some luck of course, but personally i think most of the managers are just farming money in league II.

And salary cap would be very helpfull, i agree with it. Since now i have ridiculous situation i am going -28k a week trying to win league IV having 14 game winning streak, which is ridiculous. The more ridiculous is, that we have teams in my league who have even highers salaries and going to get even stronger before playoffs..... My teams virtual salary now is 210k, even if i pay 167k atm since my trainees improving, and there is a team with 250k virtual salary and another with 220k so thats pretty impossible to get out of this league. I think 9 out of 16 teams there have negative income:D
Give his team's name and we can check how he doing that (tanking, BB-agent or other).
In any case, when one BB-manager is much better than others, he has chance going up the ladder, but a BB-manager with the same skills just can't do that.
The assets that are being pilled up each season prevent that from happening.

As you wrote, when a user gets to that wall, and you know that the opponent is not better than you, but has much more assets due to his time on the game, and facing it season after a season. When that is what users face, it causes them (some of the time) to quit the game.

This Post:
214199.5 in reply to 214199.4
Date: 4/9/2012 4:08:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A part of the solution of problem number three would be a progressive tax on deposits, teams should not be able to put more than a few million in their bank account.

This Post:
214199.6 in reply to 214199.5
Date: 4/9/2012 4:23:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A part of the solution of problem number three would be a progressive tax on deposits, teams should not be able to put more than a few million in their bank account.
This is one of the solutions indeed. [and, as you wrote, it is only a part of the solution]

One thing about that -
The cap should be upon league's value.
On division V few milions is something they will never have, and on (some of) DIV-I it may be just a small amount of a team's budget.

This Post:
214199.7 in reply to 214199.6
Date: 4/9/2012 4:52:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Edit by GM-Perpete:
Let others have their own opinions. Thanks.

Last edited by GM-Perpete at 4/9/2012 5:04:33 PM

This Post:
214199.9 in reply to 214199.8
Date: 4/9/2012 5:10:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had been part of a draft for 4 seasons.
I got three Perenial Allstar, and one MVP playerI invested 10K per week each season, and selling the first one (and probably the one that I'll gain less from all) basically covered that up.

I guess that the NBA teams are fools to invest on scouts, and users here who do that are just as much, and it is a total supprise that they do that and making money out of it.

Not investing a dime means that you will always get more than what you had invested, and once in a while you have chance to hit the jackpot.

The old users cannot say that they are not gaining more assets per season, as the tycoons cannot say that they are not gaining assets when they buying another company and paying salaries to those employees.

This Post:
214199.11 in reply to 214199.10
Date: 4/9/2012 5:24:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Seems you have been in some pretty inactive leagues then. I have not much to show for my drafts. i have gotten 3 p.allstars i think and nothing above that. The best on is still in my team and will probably be for as long as i play this game.
I seldom have gotten money back from the draft though. It gets brutally harder to grab a good player the higher up you get. I guess you'll notice that your self soon enough.
I got those four players on two drafts, on one of them I've finished first (DIV-IV).
The other two on last season where I've chossen 15 out of 16 teams... do the math.