BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Adjusting the draft to the pyramid structure

Adjusting the draft to the pyramid structure (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 4/27/2012 3:48:24 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I've once got this ridiculus "explanation" ("BB has a pyramid structure") as an excuse of why salary-cap will not work on BB (a salary-cap that will be set for each division and each BB-nation independently).
I believe that this is one of the ways those old teams that BB gave power to keep the uncompetitiveness of this game (where for example France has ZERO teams at their current first division who joined later than season 4).
But this is not the point.
Some of the points here I support regardless of that, and the others must be set, and supported by the same "honest" user, as they are following his arguement.

Here is the suggestion;

Due to the pyramid structure of this game there should be the following rules:
1) Each team MUST pay a minimum payment for draft players. Currently it is 0...
For that amount they will get to see the current breakdown of those 48 teams, which are the nine picks who get the starting 5 balls, which are the ten picks who get four, etc.
They will NOT receive ANY ball for scouting, for that they will need to pay more (upon current system).

2) The prices for scouting (on a pyramid structure league) should be... pyramid as well.
On the lower league one expects to pay less. On a pyramid structure league...

3) The players with better potential will get to lower leagues.
The higher league will not develop them (and this is a fact on BB).
[How many players goes from high-school to the NBA? Not much].

4) The pricing will be in accordance for the division and league (pyramid structure).
A player who gets to the NBA will almost always get more there than in Europe (or elsewhere).
A player leaving the NBA will get less in Europe (or elsewhere).

5) The draft all purpose is to give teams that has worse teams a higher draft pick, on order of assisting them competing.
Hence, in a "puramid structure", the better draft picks will be... in the lower divisions / worse BB-nations.

Last edited by Pini פיני at 4/27/2012 3:50:13 AM

This Post:
215106.2 in reply to 215106.1
Date: 4/27/2012 4:33:01 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
First of all in Israel, the Israel Ligat Ha'al has teams like aaamir33 that come from season seven but there are an amazing majority from the first few seasons.

And much as my friends will shun and hate me for agreeing with you I think you have said something correct here (along with the usual pile of misinformed drivel).

1) Each team MUST pay a minimum payment for draft players. Currently it is 0...
For that amount they will get to see the current breakdown of those 48 teams, which are the nine picks who get the starting 5 balls, which are the ten picks who get four, etc.
They will NOT receive ANY ball for scouting, for that they will need to pay more (upon current system).

Incomperhensible!

2) The prices for scouting (on a pyramid structure league) should be... pyramid as well.

This is the one good idea. Teams in division V can't afford to spend $40,000 a week on scouting but they are the ones that could do with a boost. Too often these low division teams can't afford to scout much and the good players go to inactives or bots. I haven't thought yet how to do this in en elegant way but I support this idea.

Wrong. I guess you never heard ok Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett. Wn a couple of championships recently too.
Wrong. The higher leagues do develop them. In Australia the vast majority of good training is done by division II or good division III teams. Most division IV teams don't know how and can't afford a level six trainer. In the very top leagues (only ABBL in Australia) there is less training but it still happens, just it is more the polishing of great 23 year olds rather than working with 18 year old rookies.

4) The pricing will be in accordance for the division and league (pyramid structure).
A player who gets to the NBA will almost always get more there than in Europe (or elsewhere).

Wrong! So the worst paid NBA player gets paid more than a top European professional? Rubbish. Especially incorrect for players in their first four seasons as the rookie salary scale gives them a lot less than they could earn in Europe but they stay because of future earning potential.

5) The draft all purpose is to give teams that has worse teams a higher draft pick, on order of assisting them competing. Hence, in a "puramid structure", the better draft picks will be... in the lower divisions / worse BB-nations.

Surely you aren't suggesting "worse" nations get better draft picks? Surely? Someone please tell me he is kidding.

Message deleted
This Post:
215106.4 in reply to 215106.2
Date: 4/27/2012 4:54:39 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

This is the one good idea. Teams in division V can't afford to spend $40,000 a week on scouting but they are the ones that could do with a boost. Too often these low division teams can't afford to scout much and the good players go to inactives or bots. I haven't thought yet how to do this in en elegant way but I support this idea.
"Suprisingly" you are looking only for the lower division teams, and did not wrote about having higher prices for the top divisions (pyramid way).
I guess you may support that for lower division's teams, as they are each BB-nation farm for the NT (at least the U21 one).

Wrong. I guess you never heard ok Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett. Wn a couple of championships recently too.
Wrong. The higher leagues do develop them. In Australia the vast majority of good training is done by division II or good division III teams. Most division IV teams don't know how and can't afford a level six trainer. In the very top leagues (only ABBL in Australia) there is less training but it still happens, just it is more the polishing of great 23 year olds rather than working with 18 year old rookies.
Not supprisingly as always - you gave the two rare cases of Kobe and Garnet.
Those did not contradict my statement, who sayed that it is rare, and not that there is none.
This does not contradict my statement, as they are the rare cases, who proves and put more light on the majority of cases, where those players goes to collegue or playing abroad.
BTW - Michael Jordan. Do you know this guy? Bird? Magic? Did they get straight to the NBA? NO THEY DID NOT!!!

DIV-1 does not train players that arrives just from the draft.
DIV-2 rarely do.
DIV-3 makes most of the work.
DIV-4 does not have the ability to do that, but have the training time to do that.

Wrong! So the worst paid NBA player gets paid more than a top European professional? Rubbish. Especially incorrect for players in their first four seasons as the rookie salary scale gives them a lot less than they could earn in Europe but they stay because of future earning potential.
It is amazing how you are trying to change claims here to make some arguement that worth none.
I claimed - The worst NBA player will get less if he will go to Europe.
The best European player will get more if he will go to the NBA.
At lease most of the times.

This is a Pyramid-structure payment.
Amazingly here you do not support the Pyramid-Structure, but on regard to the salary-cap you are...

5) The draft all purpose is to give teams that has worse teams a higher draft pick, on order of assisting them competing. Hence, in a "puramid structure", the better draft picks will be... in the lower divisions / worse BB-nations.

Surely you aren't suggesting "worse" nations get better draft picks? Surely? Someone please tell me he is kidding.
Let's start with the main point - lower divisions will get better draft picks.

To say that I was supprised that a top division team once again had opposed the Pyramid-Structure in respect to draft picks. The same structure they used to explain why salary-cap would not work.
To say that, will be to lie.
On my part I am not doing that...

Message deleted
This Post:
215106.6 in reply to 215106.5
Date: 4/27/2012 5:25:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
since it is again just about weird well discussed Pini theorys, closed.