please please please stop free agents

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 8/2/2012 5:38:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
they are ruining this game in every way

how?

1) any player you ever loved, that you spent seasons training, that you wanted to build your team around, well unless he is a HoF potential SF is worthless & can be bought for a couple of hundred k on the tl

training is the most fun thing in the game & gets less valuable every week

2) every team that actually plays the game does this stupid thing at this time of the season where those in 3rd, 4th, 5th & 8th sell their rosters off cause they hope it is the 1 time in the season when they can get something for their guys, those in 1st 2nd 6th & 7th buy a totally new roster because players r so cheap

it stinks & is totally unrealistic do u see nba teams totally change thei rosters the week before the playoff like almost everyone does now? pathetic

3) teams in lower divisions r now bankrupting themselves 2 try & promote

in aussie div 3/6 there r now 3 teams with $500-600k rosters? what? aussie d3 is like d5 in usa or europe so why do teams have div 1 salaried rosters? cause you can buy $200k + a week players for less than 1 weeks wage

the value of players is so stupidly low ANY new team just starting can turn their initial $400k into a roster that would be unbeatable but would also drive them bankrupt in weeks

wtf do new players think? stupid game & quit

i think that this is beyone doubt 1 of the causes of the game losing 10% of its player base over the last couple of seasons - maybe the #1 or #2 cause

4) exception

free agency is useful for national teams & u21 teams 2 protect their players & future prospects but that should be it

time 2 let all those giant $200k turds finally float down the sewer where they belong

when they will disappear along with all the other free agents flooding the market then demand will soon catch up with supply & prices can head back to something same

This Post:
222853.2 in reply to 222853.1
Date: 8/2/2012 6:24:05 AM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
ummm, don't like it, sorry I like the cheap pays, it let's me make some steals, which is I guess one o your issues with FAs. and also, I've gotten some players outta retirment, like ss po. Val Delong, for instence. well, hope you don't get riled up. I though would like a salary cap in place like this:

D5: 150k
D4: 300k
D3: 400k
D2: 600k
D1: 1 MIL

I think the D2/D1/D5 is right, idk about D3 nor D4.......

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!
This Post:
222853.3 in reply to 222853.1
Date: 8/2/2012 9:08:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
1.) imho the reduction doidn't raised the prices so much, and the fa don't play such a dominating role on the transferlist anymore. Not sure if it will stop, for this maybe they probadly need to change the salary formula that the average team earn more money.

2.) if you sele your roster off, you could buy a roster back later even with higher prices since they will also get more money when they sell.

3.) imho when they bancrupting thmeself there are bad managers, but in a close league you always need to be (much) better then your opponent or willing to sacrifice a bit. Also 600k isn't a div one paycheck ;)

And the player are so cheap cause they cost so much, at least such things happen in lot of manager games.

Those 200k toads you mentioned, usually don't sell for 1 M so they already survive must FA's especially as non NT player. But if all will disappear, there will be again 200k player,s, just with weaker skills.

This Post:
222853.4 in reply to 222853.3
Date: 8/2/2012 9:25:42 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
i think u r mostly right except for

2.) if you sele your roster off, you could buy a roster back later even with higher prices since they will also get more money when they sell.

the thing is lets say u have a $800k roster & sell 500k down to salary floor u maybe make $1 million in sales selling @ the best time of the season & even if you cant buy back similar standard players cheaper later u make a killing

for 3 weeks (or 4 if u r willing 2 throw g1 of the new season or play it with a short roster) u arent paying that extra $500k

there may be a week or 2 when u dont have salaries depending on where u ended up but typically that can be $1.5million in saved salaries which is huge!!! & is encouraging u 2 play in a very unrealistic way

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

where u r right is with the big turds, i bookmarked a few today and even 3 days from the cutoff most of them died

This Post:
222853.5 in reply to 222853.4
Date: 8/2/2012 11:41:52 AM
Bisamberg Torpedos
Bundesliga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Bisamberg Torpedos II
And if you do this regularly the merchandise of your team will be horrible ;)

If you sell players worth ~500k Salary you should get more than 1 million if you have decent players ...

This Post:
222853.6 in reply to 222853.1
Date: 8/3/2012 10:42:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey fishy, totally dig your points that you list here as some major issues with the game at the moment and yer it pretty much bites, even though I am partially participating in some of said activities.
But its late and im tired and i have a crappy day at work, so could I get you to explain to me how getting rid of Free Agency will cause on-flow effect to the Transfer market and in turn, resolve each of the above problems?

love ur crusade work in the suggestions forums of late though, keep it up.

This Post:
222853.7 in reply to 222853.6
Date: 8/3/2012 11:01:06 AM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
if FA stops then there will be lower amounts of players on the market that are worsth something.

45% or so of the TL is those FAs

30% of it is total rubbish and junk

25% is the guys that are actually selling for value.

now let's say there are 7k guys on the TL each week. I bet 3k of them are FAs, 2500 are junk, then the extra 1500 is the worthwhile guys. and this is not including the massive amount of 33+ yr olds selling

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!
This Post:
222853.8 in reply to 222853.7
Date: 8/3/2012 11:20:49 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
ah ok, so overall Free Agency is causing flooding of players into the market, supply vs demand economics 101, which is driving down prices of legitimate sales, and also allowing people to buy older players for cheap just before finals, because there are so many and yadda yadda yadda fill inthe blanks to fishys mail... . Im with ya now.

Maybe getting rid of FA altogether is a bit of a nuke-solution?

Thinking out loud, and specifically with the older players being bought up cheap before finals, beside the obvious "stop letting people buy players one week out from finals" discussion thats been happening for many seasons now..........what about increasing the frequency of injuries to players who are over a certain age?
Or perhaps as well, increasing the frequency of their stamina drops after a certain age?.... basically, make older players less attractive to buy before finals/buy in general? I know there are always exceptions, KG just played the finals games of his life just recently and he is what, 36? But as a blanket rule, you could do this.

I dont really have a solution for a 28 year old Free agent with a $200k salary, other than the increase time before playoffs that people can buy guys.... what about introducing a 'Transfer Fee' for Free Agents? I know thats kinda covered by the 'you only get 87% of sale when u sell this player' thingy..... but a Free Agent is a guy from a team who went bust/bot or fired right? So he didnt get his transfer fee when his team went bot... well.. maybe he did sorry there might be some scenarios where this isnt true...
either way..... make it more financially disincentive to buy Free agents? i dunno.. 30% transfer fee, based on salary? no thats stupid ignore that....... what about having to pay an extra weeks ages for the time that the guy was unemployed on the transfer market?
im just spitballing here. throwing a few ideas around..... be gentle please, people have been mean to me on the forums of late, and i just dont know if i can take insulting comments anymore.
gosh its hard to sound sarcastic on the net.

This Post:
222853.9 in reply to 222853.7
Date: 8/3/2012 11:57:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
the amount of FA is much much smaller

This Post:
222853.10 in reply to 222853.8
Date: 8/3/2012 5:08:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Free agents saved this game. With lower prices teams have been able to fill out their rosters instead of waiting for that one transfer and saving up 4 seasons for it. With rosters filled, incomes are smaller, less money generated per team, less money to spend.
Currently there are more bargain players from managers than bargain free agents. This is good and retires a bunch of those high salary monsters (I hate it, but a few really good big men from Estonia have also retired, if I would of had 1mil on my bank account at their sell time, I would of bought atleast one out of 3).

I agree that "player renting" should be more expencive somehow. Free agents are not the cheap ones if we consider high salary players. 1mil is pretty high starting price for a 100k+ salary guy (depending on the skills ofcourse), but bargains are listed way below that.

This Post:
222853.11 in reply to 222853.10
Date: 8/3/2012 6:48:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
a ball 4 every1 some great comments here

coach regan - makes some good points but they wont make changes that r hard 2 code like changing injury rates but they can make changes that r easy to code

tough - thanks for explaining it so well, less supply more demand, remove free agents = prices go up so it is harder to rent guys for the playoffs

kukoc - i agree that they were needed way back in seasons 11-13 when the price of good players was way 2 high & it was difficult for young teams 2 ever get a good player

but u dont replace a drought with a flood

you dont want the cure to be worse than the problem

they need to turn on & turn off the free agents so that there is some sort of balance between demand and supply

this is supposed 2 be a basketball game not a stock market trading game

i have always agreed with the idea to lock playoff rosters much earlier @ least 3 weeks before the playoffs - that will make renting $200-300k monsters much harder

is anyone in a league where they havent seen massive selloffs & buys this week just 4 days from the playoffs? how do u plan with such short notice?

trade deadline would still be an exciting time if earlier like it is in the nba