BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Mentoring program (as part of the game)

Mentoring program (as part of the game)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 8/14/2012 7:11:42 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
There is a problem with new joiners (except that currently the rate of them seems lower than the rate of users leaving the game, but this is a whole different issue).
New joiners usually have a very steep learning curve.
My suggestion is to have a mentoring program as part of the game. It also could be said that this team is your "daughter-team".

Anytime a new team is created, a team from the upper divisions (Div-I or Div-II) will be randomly chosen for mentoring that team.

Their goal is to assist them get along for their first season / first X weeks.
They will be measured upon that team success by the Fan-Survey resulting by additional small income or a loss in case of a bad mentoring.

It will achieve three goals:
1) Assisting newbies and that may assist the game grow (as less newbies will leave right away).
2) Will add some interesting feature to the teams from the upper divisions (as they some of the current features are basically void for them).
3) Will make the community more "alive".

This Post:
223569.2 in reply to 223569.1
Date: 8/14/2012 7:27:13 AM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
I got mentored by a D3 team (Remember, each country is different) so in Israel? you would probably have D1ers and D2ers mentoring, in which cases in countries Like USA, France, Italy, Spain, and Poland you could have people from D3 mentor you, you see where I'm getting? We could put the page in your Nation's thread cause it wouldn't make sense in Global. Then have the Criteria. There is currently a thread like this in USA. also I like the term "child" rather than daughter.........

Like it. But as I said a big nation could have a D3er mentor. And they do just fine. 14X7=98 days so a mentor could help you for 100 days.

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!
This Post:
223569.3 in reply to 223569.2
Date: 8/14/2012 7:52:56 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Which teams / divisions could train is something flexible and not the base of this suggestion, so I don't see a problem with a D3 mentoring as well (for big BB-nations).

This Post:
223569.4 in reply to 223569.3
Date: 8/14/2012 9:46:39 AM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the idea of making it easier for new managers to find mentors is a wonderful idea. Right now, a new manager looking for a mentor usually reaches out to older teams in their league, or maybe they find someone in the forums whose posts they like. (Or they sometimes ask a BB for help, in which case some of us have to refer them to our assigned probation officers, as court ordered, before we are allowed to be big brothers on account of, oh, never mind.) The trick is creating a convenient way to connect new managers in need of help with willing (and able) mentors (preferably who are of sound mind and not those needing a different kind of help, such as via medication, lobotomies, shock therapy, enemas, etc.).

For now, maybe the quickest way to get something together would be as part of a thread in the Help Forum, similar to the Private League Ad threads, where new managers looking for mentors can post or mentors can who are available to help can post. If this looks like a potentially workable idea, maybe we can get some discussion on this here (if folks think this will work) and then, perhaps as a result, the staff will come up with some ground rules for such a forum thread if it looks like it’s workable.

I could also see creating a more organized Mentor page being an idea worthy of study as a more long-term idea for development, but I have a feeling that this wouldn’t be the highest of priorities for the developers right now. (I keep hearing about this tanking thing that seems to have garnished a lot of attention…) But any ideas about how a Mentor page would also be appropriate.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!