Suggestions > Change league structure

Change league structure

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 8/26/2012 4:32:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi,

My suggestion is an open one. I can describe the problem, I'm not sure I have the solution. I hope we'll be able to get a good one by talking about it (If you'll agree that there's a problem at all)

I feel current league structure is not good as it has the following issues:

1. two games against teams in your group and only one game against teams in other group - This situation can cause an issue when one group is easier then the other. I'll take my league for example, 6 out of 7 to salary teams are in one side while the top salary team is in the other one. the team in the other group will most probably lead the league at the end of the season as it has much more easier games.

2. Boring - Mostly in top div leagues, managers can stay in the same league for a looooooonog time. sometime they feel they can't promote as they play in the harder group and sometime it's just boring as big parts of the league is vs the same opponents.

leagues structures are taken from the American model with East group and West group. This is nice and it helps the all-star game but I think we must find a different way.

Changing the numbers of teams in each league will be something very difficult with lot's of meanings. I think we should think of something simple. (Again, only if you think there's a problem)

I think making such change will really spice up the game and will bring life and new interest to many teams.

If you have any suggestions, write them here

"Did you miss me??? - "With every bullet so far..." Al Bundy

To: Ehud
This Post:
225618.2 in reply to 225618.1
Date: 8/26/2012 4:36:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
One suggestion that I have is that some teams will switch groups as part as off season process.

Maybe make it as a rule that 5th place teams will change groups.
Maybe have the 4th and 2nd teams change groups as well... it will make the league much more interesting with time

4th and 2nd only in case they didn't take the championship... if one of them did them 1st and 3rd...
(Only unpolished thoughts...)

Last edited by Ehud at 8/26/2012 4:37:46 PM

This Post:
225618.4 in reply to 225618.3
Date: 8/26/2012 4:40:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Not such a crazy idea... I think it will be really fun.

This Post:
225618.5 in reply to 225618.3
Date: 8/26/2012 4:57:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Another option might be to just change the game order.
Current game order is 7 games in your groups - 8 vs second group and then 7 again vs your group.

This situation let you always play 14 games vs your group and 8 vs other group

Maybe we can play something like this:

1. your group
2 second group
3. your group
4 second group
5. your group
6 second group
7. your group
8 second group
9. your group
10 second group
11. your group
12.second group
13. your group
14. second group
15. your group

Played vs all teams

16. second group
17. your group
18 second group
19. your group
20 second group
21. your group
22. second group

16 to 22 games will be according to schedule.
Schedule should change from season to season.

This change will lead to teams playing the same amount of league games vs each groups and still have some room of luck in schedule as we do in current structure...

This Post:
225618.6 in reply to 225618.3
Date: 8/27/2012 1:56:41 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Why only some teams? Make a lottery every season with all teams and we will be have different conferences every time;)

I really like that idea. +1

This Post:
225618.7 in reply to 225618.2
Date: 8/27/2012 5:30:53 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
One suggestion that I have is that some teams will switch groups as part as off season process.

Maybe make it as a rule that 5th place teams will change groups.

One more chapter in the old 5th place is the best/worst story? :-) By fixing some position for the switch we would open the door for some more unsportmanlike tactics. What I would like to see is that every team generally tries to finish as high in the standings as possible.

One simple solution to slightly refresh the conferences would be to introduce a minimum of 2 new teams on both sides each season. This can be done by switching one of the relagation playoff winners to the other conference in case the 6th and 7th place teams of the same conference win their series. The problem with this is that the refreshing happens with potentially weaker teams (especially if the switcher is the 7th, although they did just beat the 6th of the other conference). In this case, the aim of balancing the competition would not really be achieved. Especially so for div I leagues.

Only personal opinion/disclaimer below (no need to discuss):
Random leagues don't create as much rivalry as the current system, which is why I am personally pretty much against any reshuffling. We already have a random competition, which goes to the other extreme: the national tournament. And some users would like to make that much more predictable. I am not one of those, I really enjoy the tournament the way it is.

This Post:
225618.8 in reply to 225618.7
Date: 8/27/2012 5:40:51 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your reply.

I can understand all of your points. Specially about the rival and about refreshing the entire group.
What about my suggestion to make changes in the schedule?

Having team play the same number of games against each conference. the downside is you' face 7 teams twice each season (same as today, but not from the same conference).

Some managers will get a harder schedule and some an easier, but it will change from season to season ...

This Post:
225618.9 in reply to 225618.7
Date: 8/27/2012 5:42:19 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
What I would like to see is that every team generally tries to finish as high in the standings as possible.
Me too!! Whatever helps to make that possible, I support.

This Post:
225618.11 in reply to 225618.10
Date: 8/27/2012 7:26:06 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
What I would like to see is that every team generally tries to finish as high in the standings as possible.
Me too!! Whatever helps to make that possible, I support.

Probably the only way that can achieve this is by letting the last 2 teams of the conference relegate automatically while the 5th and 6th team go into the relegation playoffs. But this will cause an imbalance in number of relegated teams, so it's a stupid idea on my part lol.

I thing the answer is in the fan survey. It's probably tough to change without considerable thought, though.