BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Reward Training Draftees

Reward Training Draftees

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/16/2012 8:43:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I thought of this today as a solution to a current problem and way to reward good drafting (which is sort of broken/unecessary) and training.

Idea: Set a max salary for players that were drafted by your team based on position/potential/size of stadium/league/etc.

We have seen issues with players such as Joe Bronson and many NT Centers where they get to be too expensive and either retire or change teams every few weeks. This discourages original owners from realizing potential and creating players for their NT.

This has precedent in the NBA, where it is termed as a "Max" contract and in the same spirit as the "Bird Rules". If Lebron was paid based on his skill level compared to other players, he would probably be unaffordable under the current salary cap, for instance.

An ancillary benefit to the salary cap relief of NT players is that teams will be rewarded for investing in the draft. The draft will gain significance and make it relevant outside of a luck based lottery (just had a thought pop in my head...would this promote tanking?). For instance, a $3,000 MVP SG would probably be a throw away player on the market, but could actually be beneficial to the original team under a "max contract" stipulation.

It would probably be necessary to limit the amount of Max players per team or build it in as a percentage of revenue some way so that you couldn't have half your roster be 300k beasts, but I think this idea has potential. Any thoughts?

This Post:
229996.3 in reply to 229996.2
Date: 11/16/2012 9:04:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes, but incentive to train your own draftees is only an ANCILLARY benefit of this proposal. The main benefit is to address National Team player salaries which get out of hand quickly. It would mean owners wanting to train NT players would have to invest greater in the draft.

Lebron accepting less money is not the main reason he has a lower salary. The MAIN reason is because of the salary cap in place. He would garner much greater wages in a non-salary cap system such as baseball.

My example of Lebron James was because of the fact that he is the most talented player in the NBA right now. If they didn't have a Max contract stipulation and he went to the highest bidder, it would be an exercise in futility. The max contract stipulation allows team to attract star players while still maintaining enough space to create a roster around them.

Bottom line: If Joe Bronson existed in the NBA he would reduce his asking price to allow himself to stay employed for more than 2 weeks at a time. BuzzerBeater needs a similar mechanism to mimmick this...call it the "Bronson Rule" if you like.

This Post:
229996.5 in reply to 229996.4
Date: 11/16/2012 10:08:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Fair enough. Thank you for the response.