Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/6/2012 11:44:26 AM
Manila Bombers
PPL
Overall Posts Rated:
From the game manual,
The BuzzerBeater's Best tournament begins with round-robin play. In the round-robin, each team will play four home games and four away games against random opponents. Once this stage has completed the top 32 teams qualify for a seeded, single-elimination tournament that will be played at neutral sites.

I just thought that maybe a swiss-system tournament may be better than randomly assigning two teams to play each other. With this type of tournament, we have a higher chance of ensuring that the best 32 teams enter the knockout stage rather than having some teams enter due to playing with bots in the first rounds.

In the swiss-system tournament, the first opponent for each team is based on world rank. So rank 1 vs lowest rank, rank 2 vs second lowest rank and so on. Then after the first round, winners play against winners and losers play against losers. Either world rank can be used or maybe PD. The rounds after the second are similar to the second with teams having the same record play against each other.

So what do you think?

This Post:
232503.2 in reply to 232503.1
Date: 12/6/2012 12:43:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
In the swiss-system tournament, the first opponent for each team is based on world rank.

Isnt world rank kind of a mess? Not that this wouldnt be an improvement, but also to consider:

-random draw like domestic cup tournaments
-remove bot teams, they represent most of the top losses by PD last night
-remove tounes. i kid (kinda)
-payroll minimum

just brainstorming

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt
This Post:
232503.3 in reply to 232503.2
Date: 12/6/2012 5:36:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Actually in a true appliance of the swiss system world rank is only kind of a "tie breaker" when it comes to first round:

(1) You hand out seedings before the tourney. In Round I (32 teams for example), 1 - 32, 31 - 2, 3 - 30 and so on.
(2) After first round, you do a new seedings table with all teams based on record. All teams with the same records end up in the same "group". Best team with a 1-0 plays worst team with a 1-0 record, ... same for 0-1 records.
(3) After 2nd round, you do a new seedings table with all teams based on the record....
Best team with 2-0 plays worst team with 2-0 ... best team with 1-1 plays worst team with 1-1 ... best team with 0-2 plays worst team with 0-2.
(4) After 3rd round, you do a new ...

Since there is HCA involved, you might have to tweak a little here and there, but there should be enough free seeding algorithms for that kind of games out there. It´s consistently applied in chess tournaments and it´s well proven.

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, die Dummheit und das All...

This Post:
232503.5 in reply to 232503.2
Date: 12/6/2012 10:09:03 PM
Manila Bombers
PPL
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, but I cannot think of a better way to seed teams. Maybe someone can find better seeding algorithms as GM-seelenjaeger said. :)

I like the idea of removing bot teams, but maybe payroll minimum is not needed as I don't find any reason for active teams to tank BBB.

By the way, who is Tounes? :P

This Post:
232503.6 in reply to 232503.5
Date: 12/6/2012 10:19:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A country