BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Subs Pattern

Subs Pattern

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/10/2012 11:10:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I very rarely see players getting substituted player for player, and not by batch.. and I think this should be changed with a priority... because that's not how it is done realistically.

It looks like we're seeing a basketball game having hockey-inspired subs pattern, no rotations going on.

This Post:
232835.2 in reply to 232835.1
Date: 12/17/2012 7:48:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Nothing about this game is realistic. You will see coaches call timeouts with 14 seconds even if they are down by 40, you will see a couple players average 40 points a night, you will see players play full 48 minutes when they have 12 men on their team while the other 7 just sit on the bench. There are tons of things that are not realistic.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs

This Post:
232835.4 in reply to 232835.3
Date: 12/19/2012 11:48:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It wasn't really meant to be an argument. I am just saying that if the only reason for changing it is because it is unrealistic then it wont happen.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs

This Post:
232835.6 in reply to 232835.5
Date: 12/19/2012 5:19:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If there were a suggested change and the reason was realism, I think given the time and resources necessary they would change it.
The only reason NOT to change it (besides lack of resources), even from BB perspective, would be that the change would cause something else to not be ask they like...like if it imbalanced play etc. etc.
I don't think they are trying to make the game unrealistic. So I think realism is a valid argument for any change.

I would hope they think about it differently than you do, in this specific instance.

The primary criteria should be: "Does this make BuzzerBeater a better game?" Realism is a nice thing but many things that would make BB much more realistic would absolutely destroy the game experience - whether it be having to prove yourself as a scout for X number of seasons to even get a job as a GM (and therefore a team to manage), or whether it be that any good players that you develop are going to be picked up by higher level or more prestigious teams, that type of realism would be game-killing for an online game such as this.

Of course, addressing the foibles of substitution patterns would likely make the game better, at which point we're probably falling under the "we can't do anything currently about the match engine" problem. While there's certainly a good reason to prevent teams from setting specific minute totals up for their players, more control over the broad substitution patterns in the lineup decisions would be a welcome relief.

I just think any discussion about changes proposed that is relying on "realism" as the driving force is making a poor argument. The selling point should be how it improves the game and maintains the concept that you can't have it all - you may have to sacrifice training for results or vice versa.

This Post:
232835.8 in reply to 232835.7
Date: 12/19/2012 6:56:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I didn'T even bother reading all of your post.

That's okay. I didn't bother writing all of it.