BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Remove self-bid

Remove self-bid

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/14/2012 7:26:09 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm bidding on a player right now. His price is IMO a bit below market average. So the owner is bidding over me...?? Why doesn't he put a price for which he hopes the player will sell and if he doesn't, relist him again? I wish bidding on your own players would not be possible as it's unfair.

This Post:
233010.3 in reply to 233010.2
Date: 12/14/2012 4:56:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And if he got an injury on another player, he's screwed ? Or sometimes, you mistake a player with another and you put on the market the wrong player.

It looks like you want to say BBs use self-bid to help fight against misfortune (injury or plain mistakes). I didn't get a feel BB is about this. Actually total opposite.

If I mistakenly add another 0 to a bid, who is there to save me?
If I mistakenly dress up the 10th player and he takes 12 minutes away from my trainee in a blowout, who is there to save me?
If I accidently fire a player, what can BBs do?

There are so many chances to screw up and nobody helps you with that. But suddenly, you want to tell me BBs let self-bid prevent your screw-ups? From BBS I'd expect an answer like: "We don't allow self-bids; if you are worried that your player will be sold under market price, you shouldn't list him for 1k." Because in my case, that manager didn't bid on his player because he accidentaly sent him on TL or one of his players sustained an injury; he simply wanted me to pay more by using a cheap shot. What can you do to prevent that from happening?

Last edited by Koperboy at 12/14/2012 4:57:53 PM

This Post:
233010.4 in reply to 233010.3
Date: 12/14/2012 6:01:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
How about beeing responsible for your own actions?

I can see a plan beside self bidding ... trying to lure someone in a "bidding" war, putting multiple players on the list, and once one is bought, make sure you keep another on the team, and so on...

Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, die Dummheit und das All...
This Post:
233010.5 in reply to 233010.3
Date: 12/14/2012 7:23:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
When you buy back a player, you pay the transaction tax and his time in the team is reset to 0, that means if he is immediately put back on the TL and sold, the seller gets only around 80% of the value.
Potentially, it's a huge loss for the seller, it's a risk (and a stupid one) to try to artificially manipulate the bids. I have seen it sometimes but I think most of the time, people are genuinely trying to buy back their player.

If you feel you are being tricked, why don't you just move on ? Isn't that the best lesson to give to a smarty seller ?
It's very easy to spot that the current bid was made by the seller, I don't think that many fall for it.
You thought it was an opportunity but obviously it is not and if the seller was not allowed to bid, he wouldn't have put this tag price so move on, don't create yourself a problem to deal with where there is none... Don't worry, we will notice who has made the last bid, we have eyes too :)

I am not against the suggestion but I don't feel it is necessary.

This Post:
233010.6 in reply to 233010.3
Date: 12/15/2012 10:11:17 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
From BBS I'd expect an answer like: "We don't allow self-bids; if you are worried that your player will be sold under market price, you shouldn't list him for 1k."

Why do you expect such an answer? The self-bidding has been there from the beginning, and this is not the first time someone wants it removed. Clearly the BB's do allow self-bidding.

he simply wanted me to pay more by using a cheap shot. What can you do to prevent that from happening?

Nothing prevents the seller from bidding, but he can't force you to outbid him. It is therefore essentially you who can and will prevent the seller's dirty trick from working.

The idea of player sales in BuzzerBeater has always been that all sales and bids are final. There are many users who want the opportunity to cancel a transfer listing. There are many users who want to cancel a bid. Neither is happening.

This Post:
233010.7 in reply to 233010.3
Date: 12/16/2012 4:24:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
users do make some human error mistakes and the game try to protect against it (i.e. "confirmation" button before firing a player)

In this case users might want to self bid after something happened that they couldn't predict or control (not human error) - such as other player getting inj and making the sell not worth while.
Other case might be that the player being sold got inj and his price is lower then what manager wanted to pay.

Users pay for self bidding. taxes are payed and % drop to ~79% again.

"Did you miss me??? - "With every bullet so far..." Al Bundy

To: Ehud
This Post:
233010.8 in reply to 233010.7
Date: 12/16/2012 4:34:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
In this case users might want to self bid after something happened that they couldn't predict or control (not human error) - such as other player getting inj and making the sell not worth while.

Well, that's what I don't understand. BB never cut us any slack. Any error we make - human or non-human - there's no reverting, repairing, rewinding. Why, all of a sudden, this need to "protect the players"? I don't feel like players are being protected except in this case. I remember few weeks ago when a system errors made some players, who were already bought, put back on TL and if someone overbid the owner, he lost the player he actually already bought. It seems like these cases need much more protection than an injured player situation, for example.

This Post:
233010.9 in reply to 233010.8
Date: 12/16/2012 4:43:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
you are talking about a bug. this is a designed behavior. I don't think BB doesn't cut us any slacks... It's a bit harsh to say that.
As I also stated - managers do pay when they self buy so it's not as it's possible / worthwhile to try and sell players for cheep, hoping for a bid war and if not, re-buy the player - it can't work in the long run...

To: Ehud
This Post:
233010.10 in reply to 233010.9
Date: 12/16/2012 5:24:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
So, just in time I guess...I was sending BB-mails to owners of 18y old prospects for U21 and I accidentaly recruited one of them. So basically I have one less spot on U21's roster because of that. Will anyone "cut me some slack" and dismiss him without enthusiasm drop?

This Post:
233010.11 in reply to 233010.10
Date: 12/16/2012 5:33:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Isn't there a "confirmation" button before you recruit someone? (Long time since I was NT manager)
If no, I would suggest there should be one.
This suggestion doesn't effect most of the community so it should be under minor suggestions but I do think it's an important one.