Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 4/8/2008 6:02:26 PM
AS Barroom Heroes
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Lone Pine Productions
I'm gonna start off by saying that I won the game that I am discussing (in double overtime), so I'm not posting just to complain about a loss. I am starting this discussion because I think there is something seriously wrong with how the new Game Engine handles the last minute in close games. Here is what happened in the final moments of my last game, and you guys tell me if you think this is normal.

I am winning by 7 points with 36 seconds left:

00:36 Intentional foul to stop the clock by my opponent
00:36 1/2 free throws for me
00:36 TO by my opponent
00:34 3 pointer by my opponent
00:32 Intentional foul to stop the clock by my opponent
00:32 2/2 free throws for me
00:32 TO by my opponent
00:29 3 pointer by my opponent
00:27 Intentional foul to stop the clock by my opponent
00:27 1/2 free throws for me
00:23 3 pointer by my opponent
00:21 Intentional foul to stop the clock by my opponent
00:21 1/2 free throws for me
00:19 3 pointer by my opponent

Result: in 17 seconds my opponent shot 4/4 from three point range and committed 4 intentional fouls to stop the clock. That's an average of either a foul or a 3 pointer every 2.125 seconds. And only 2 of the 4 3-pointers came following a TO, which supposedly should give the attacking team a better chance to take a good shot.
So in 17 seconds, in which I shot a not-so-bad 5/8 from the FT line, my opponent came back from 7 points down, scoring 12 points.

Now, I don't know if this is a bug or just something that the Game Engine mishandles, but it certainly cannot be right.

Also, keep in mind that, not considering those final 4 three pointers, my opponent shot 10-31 from 3 point range during the rest of the game, which is about 30%..not bad, but nowhere near what he should have been shooting to justify what happened in those 17 seconds.

Lastly, this is something that has already happened to others, and has been a topic of discussion for some time now in the Italian BB comunity. I'd like to know what the BBs think of this situation and if it is something that will be fixed.

This Post:
23501.2 in reply to 23501.1
Date: 4/8/2008 6:10:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What exactly is "not right"?

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
23501.3 in reply to 23501.2
Date: 4/8/2008 6:15:49 PM
AS Barroom Heroes
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Lone Pine Productions
Are you kidding?

You think it's normal that sistematically, every two seconds for 8 consecutive plays, a team is able to commit an intentional foul and shoot (and make a 3 pointer) from just beyong the arc? A team that shot 32% the rest of the game?

This Post:
23501.4 in reply to 23501.3
Date: 4/8/2008 6:22:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Are you kidding?

You think it's normal that sistematically, every two seconds for 8 consecutive plays, a team is able to commit an intentional foul and shoot (and make a 3 pointer) from just beyong the arc? A team that shot 32% the rest of the game?

It might be unusual, but with hundreds of thousands of games played a week, you're going to see some odd, but possible occurences.

It's certainly not impossible for the scenario that happened to you to happen in real life.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
23501.5 in reply to 23501.4
Date: 4/8/2008 6:36:46 PM
AS Barroom Heroes
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Lone Pine Productions
Like I said, this is NOT the first time this (or something similar) has happened. We have been discussing it in the BB Italia forum since pretty much immediately after the changes to the Game Engine were made, and it has already come up elsewhere other times, with the official response being that after a TO, a team is more likely able to take a better shot, resulting in a higher chance of making the 3 pointer.

And as it for not being impossible, let me have my doubts. The 3rd and 4th 3-pointers were taken not after a timeout, but after a missed free throw and a made free throw. So what you mean to tell me is that, on consecutive plays, a team is first able to inbound the ball and take a 3 pointer from just beyond the arc on the other side of the field in 3 seconds, and then grab a defensive rebound and again take a 3 pointer from just beyond the arc, this time in 2 seconds? All this after having already scored two consecutive 3 pointers, both times in 2 seconds, on consecutive plays? And while managing to commit a clock-stopping foul in exactly two seconds for 4 consecutive defensive plays?
Can you show me where something like this has happened in real life since you say it is "certainly not impossible"?

This Post:
23501.6 in reply to 23501.5
Date: 4/8/2008 6:39:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Are you trying to say that it's physically impossible, not unlikely, but impossible for your scenario to occur?

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
23501.7 in reply to 23501.4
Date: 4/8/2008 6:39:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Reggie Miller scored 8 points in 8 seconds against the NewYork Knicks so 12 points in 17 secons is possible.

The question is: does this happen many times in BB. If yes, its a bug...

Ben je op zoek naar een BB-Buddy die jou alle kneepjes van BB bijbrengt? Neem dan deel aan het Buddy-sytem. Pm mij voor meer info
This Post:
23501.8 in reply to 23501.4
Date: 4/8/2008 6:41:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It might be unusual, but with hundreds of thousands of games played a week, you're going to see some odd, but possible occurences.

These kind of oddities seem to be a little bit too common though.

The new GE is trying to simulate the 'real' last minute and honestly I think that BBs have done a good job with it... but I also think that there is room for 'fine tuning'.

This is what happened in the last 8 seconds of my today's game:
0:08 defensive rebound for team A
0:06 foul by team B
0:06 2/2 FT made by team A
0:02 3 point made by team B
0:00 Foul by team B
0:00 0/2 FT made by team A

All fine except that team A was ahead by 11 points already... I think that with -11 points and 6 seconds to go team B should just give up instead of continuing the foul and 3p strategy... and the foul on the last second is just nonsense.

But you will surely pretend there is nothing odd also with it as you too often do...

This Post:
23501.9 in reply to 23501.7
Date: 4/8/2008 6:45:42 PM
AS Barroom Heroes
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Lone Pine Productions
No, he did not. He scored 8 points in 11 seconds, and the dinamic of how he did it whas completely different. He stole the imbounds pass before his second 3, so he didn't have to travel the length of the field. My opponent had to do that not once, but twice.

This Post:
23501.10 in reply to 23501.8
Date: 4/8/2008 6:47:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Reggie Miller scored 8 points in 8 seconds against the NewYork Knicks so 12 points in 17 secons is possible.

The question is: does this happen many times in BB. If yes, its a bug...

What is your definition of "many times"?

Games Played This Week: 145857
Games played in an entire NBA regular season: 2460

The NBA has 1.6% of the games for a season that BB simulates in a week.

Crazy things statistically will happen much more often on BB then they will in an NBA game.

These kind of oddities seem to be a little bit too common though.

The new GE is trying to simulate the 'real' last minute and honestly I think that BBs have done a good job with it... but I also think that there is room for 'fine tuning'.

This is what happened in the last 8 seconds of my today's game:
0:08 defensive rebound for team A
0:06 foul by team B
0:06 2/2 FT made by team A
0:02 3 point made by team B
0:00 Foul by team B
0:00 0/2 FT made by team A

All fine except that team A was ahead by 11 points already... I think that with -11 points and 6 seconds to go team B should just give up instead of continuing the foul and 3p strategy... and the foul on the last second is just nonsense.

But you will surely pretend there is nothing odd also with it as you too often do...

Right, I'm pretending.

Personal attacks aside, see my response above.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
23501.11 in reply to 23501.9
Date: 4/8/2008 6:48:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
No, he did not. He scored 8 points in 11 seconds, and the dinamic of how he did it whas completely different. He stole the imbounds pass before his second 3, so he didn't have to travel the length of the field. My opponent had to do that not once, but twice.

Right - the Miller game isn't really germane to this discussion.

See my last post, though.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live