Thoughts on zones

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/25/2013 6:33:26 PM
Neverwinter
CGBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey all, don't know if this was discussed before, so forgive me if I'm spamming. We are all aware that offenses/defenses don't work as intended, or people don't train proper players, or whatever.

Anyway, someone recently posted a link to an old thread about box and one defenses. That contained a BBs answer in another thread, and long story short, it appears that: In box and one defenses, the player who guards the opponent's best inside/outside scorer is selected by GE at the START of the game(by combination of skills, but irrelevant).

The important thing is, it appears, that that player POSITION continues having the same role even after substitution, correct me if I'm wrong.

So this makes me conclude, that zones work similar. Among the starters, players are picked for every role. Example, 3 outside defenders and 2 inside defenders. And after substitutions, the players who play in their position, continue having their role, regardless of skills. This would be an explanation for all those threads about where does SF defend in zones etc.

So the real problem with zones is actually, they don't work with blank lineup/lcd tactics? And MtM is the best choice for the same reason? And removing blank lineup would improve the zones efficiency, since players would spend entire time defending proper positions?

Were there any statistical analysis on this matter? I guess people with supporter can track things about who guarded who's shots and similar.

This Post:
251048.2 in reply to 251048.1
Date: 11/26/2013 4:19:38 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The problem with tracking defense matchups in zones is that 2-3 zone gives so many assisted shots there is no way to track them.

Also, I suppose in zones each possition defends its possition. Guards will be on the perimeter center on the zone and forwards from the low post to the 3point line, not the gameengine deciding where to put the players.