Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 8/8/2015 6:20:59 AM
Kira Kira Koseki
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
We have a 'how did I lose' thread in Global... but this was a match so messed up that I suspect it to be a bug, hence why I'm posting here instead;

(85782133)

This was a game I fancied my chances of winning, yet it instead ended up being a blow-out victory for them that only looks close due to the fourth quarter. Kobe Resurgents may have two gun bigmen, but none of their other starters have any reason to have played the way they did tonight. My PG tonight has 20 OD and 125 TSP, and the SG 19 OD and 117 TSP. Their PG has a salary of 48k and the SG 40k, nowhere near enough to be better than my guards regardless of what skills distribution they might have.

So why did their guards combine for 13-22 shooting whilst holding mine to 5-21 prior to garbage time!? I look at his team's PP100 in the PG, SG and SG spots and find myself wondering how those match-up ratings can be so high for him when not only do my guards have high OD as previously stated, but my SF has 16 OD and 15 ID as well, and those match-up ratings would've been even higher had garbage time not triggered.

What's the point of me spending a combined 11.1 million on a team that is strong in every position and had good back-ups as well, when they get outplayed by players earning less than 50k per week, and the coach only gives the bench a combined 20 minutes on the court? The only things that made sense in this game were the fact that they out-rebounded me (my SF's one weakness is rebounding and they had 200k bigs), and the score-line in the fourth quarter once the oppositions back-ups entered the court, and unlike the starters, played about as well as you'd expect them to based on their salary.

I thought that I'd seen the worst of what kind of unlucky results the GE could throw at you in Season 31 where my solid team was denied a play-off spot by frustratingly narrow defeats. But this was a game so bad that I can't just put it down to bad luck. I understand that HCA, combined with Normal vs TIE, can help a lesser team beat a stronger opponent, but with my team being much better than his on paper at PG, SG, and the bench, and at worst equal at the SF spot and slightly behind at PF and C, there is no situation where his team should be able to stomp all over mine at all five positions on the court and send the game into garbage time.

Hence why I do not see this as a 'How did I lose' game. I see it as a glitch in the game engine. Some might not agree with this conclusion. But I only lost to this same team last season by 15. They had HCA and effort advantage then too. They haven't changed their squad since then, whilst I feel that I have improved mine. And there was no garbage time in that game either:

(82496166)

How then can I lose the first 34:22 of tonight's game by a scoreline of 83-47? In a game that I thought I was going to win no less!? I'll be shocked and amazed if anyone here has an explanation that makes sense for this one...

Last edited by Jay (OTT) at 8/8/2015 6:29:14 AM

This Post:
272674.2 in reply to 272674.1
Date: 8/9/2015 8:14:18 AM
TrenseRI
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
While I understand your frustration, I have to say that this result is not as impossible as it looks. There are several reasons for this:

1. Any game in BB has a random factor. This random factor will sometimes pull the game in one way so much that it might provide a much weaker team a victory. In this case, with two similarly strong teams (yes, I consider you two to be similar!), it gave the other team the extra punch it needed in the first three quarters.

2. It isn't all random (or luck) too. You know that HCA is important. You know the extra effort is important too. Combined? They are mostly insurmountable in matches with teams of similar strength.

3. His guards may not have high salary but they might have some key skills that allow them to shine in this specific tactic. However, this is the only part of the match which I find dubious too. While the guards offensive success may be explained in part by the first two points, I feel that the guards can often give an unfair advantage in a inside based tactic. It is truly something to consider when analyzing this GE and planning the next iteration, so we will definitely try to check that aspect then. Only then will I be able to say if that is a real problem or not.

I hope I managed to clear this up a little at least.

This Post:
272674.3 in reply to 272674.1
Date: 8/10/2015 9:44:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

This was a game I fancied my chances of winning, yet it instead ended up being a blow-out victory for them that only looks close due to the fourth quarter. Kobe Resurgents may have two gun bigmen, but none of their other starters have any reason to have played the way they did tonight. My PG tonight has 20 OD and 125 TSP, and the SG 19 OD and 117 TSP. Their PG has a salary of 48k and the SG 40k, nowhere near enough to be better than my guards regardless of what skills distribution they might have.

In addition to what Marin said, I looked at the baskets Ĺ atulis scored and saw:
dunk, driving layup, dunk, "switches hands mid-air on the way to the basket", alley-oop, inside shot, dunk, fade-away

OD might not be the only defensive skill to consider in this case, then.

This Post:
272674.4 in reply to 272674.1
Date: 8/11/2015 4:01:07 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It isn't bug, it isn't even close to bad luck. BBstats were 140 vs 134 (You were better), but it's very small difference (one sublevel in every statistic). And we have to remember that stats of opponent were decreased in Q4 because of garbage time and worse players on court. So we can assume that before garbage time opponent's BBstats were at least the same as Yours or even better.
Similar BBstats + HCA + more effort in most cases means victory.
It isn't easy to win first game in season when it's away match. GS is the same, enthusiasm the same (and in most cases lower than in next games) and therefore HCA has bigger effect than in further part of season.

This Post:
272674.5 in reply to 272674.3
Date: 8/12/2015 9:01:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
i think what you are trying to say is:

no Shot block

:)