BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > FML Radio: Outside Offense (GM-hrudey)

FML Radio: Outside Offense (GM-hrudey)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/20/2016 11:45:15 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Welcome to another episode of FML Radio, the only radio that you can see and which has no sound! If you missed last weeks episode with A-Dub on tanking it can be found here - (277929.1).

Today we want to talk about Outside Offenses. Are they even any good? To offer his thoughts on the matter we invited someone who is going all in on the hope that three pointers really can work with the right players. He is currently training three players who by my estimation have a combined JR of 49, and they are only 20!

(http://i.imgur.com/Wpd5N37.png)

Can builds like this thrive? Or will they be crushed beneath LI dominance? Please welcome,

GM-hrudey! (30851)
(http://i.imgur.com/ouzg1.jpg?2)

This Post:
278016.2 in reply to 278016.1
Date: 3/20/2016 11:45:40 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Who is the man behind the Beagle? Tell us about yourself.

I'm a computer programmer by day, father and husband at night. I don't think it'd be wise, legally speaking, to discuss what happens in the afternoons, other than I can safely say that I've never been convicted of smuggling alpacas inside my own rectum.

How long have you been playing BuzzerBeater?

I started playing BuzzerBeater for reals in March 2011, though I did have a team back in season 1 or 2 (Indy .500s) that I logged into once, made a fancy spreadsheet to track my training plans, and then didn't bother logging in again.

You have been doing some pretty unique things with your team recently, what do you hope to accomplish from it?

Mainly, I'm looking to see if I can create a truly unique outside team built from the ground up. Based on some of wozz' past analysis on the offsite, the theory is that jump range applies very little to open threes, but is much more important than JS on contested ones. So I figured the way to go is to set up my players so that, offensively, they'll look at jacking up contested three point shots as being their best option.

Do you think Outside Offenses will ever be able to stand toe to toe with Look Inside?

As things currently stand, no. I think there's a fundamental imbalance, not necessarily with the engine, but with the training and salary portion of the game, especially for guards. The simple truth of the matter is that if you're going to be training guards, you either spend a couple of seasons training JR (and JS, I suppose, if you're not me) or you punt that (and maybe spend the time instead on boosting IS). At the end, the player who is trained with JR and JS is likely to be in the SG formula, and so their salary rises significantly (since the OD cost in the SG formula is much higher), while the player who trained in IS has no noticeable increase in salary other than cross-training gains.

So then what happens when those players actually play? You find you have a more effective player with the LI guard, at a lower salary, with the bonuses that LI tends to improve rebounds and draw more fouls.

So, yeah, I don't see an outside renaissance how things currently stand. I think there's a decent chance some of this stuff changes in the future - it seems like the BB staff have tried to encourage outside shooting incrementally. I don't think it'll have a widespread effect unless the training situation changes, though.

Can you actually hit a three pointer in real life?

How many chances do I get to take, and am I being guarded? I was never particularly good at basketball, but my best shot was generally the turnaround halfcourt shot, which at one point in my life I was probably good on 15-20% of the time. Generally, the less comfortable I looked taking a shot, the more likely it was to go in.

That's not a high percentage shot, but it probably puts me above 90% of the guards in the NBBA, so if they want to pay me that weekly salary I'm down!

Which Outside Offense do you think is the most powerful?

It really depends. I think Motion is probably the best overall.

Please describe the BuzzerBeater community’s propensity to play Look Inside using a metaphor involving a kitchen utensil.

"My, where did you get that lovely spatula? At Spatula City! We sell spatulas, and that's all." Won't someone please think of the ladles?

If you could see one change implemented in BB whether it be a rule change or a change in user behavior what would it be?

I think an overhaul of training and the draft (if that's technically one change) so that the draft can provide some older but decently rounded and playable guys (like capped starter/star guys) and more 18-19 yo guys in the allstar - superstar range, and training can be rebalanced, so that 1v1 isn't the uber training it currently is, and maybe things like SB/JR/HA training can be more useful.

This Post:
278016.3 in reply to 278016.2
Date: 3/20/2016 11:48:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for tuning in, and thanks to GM-hrudey for coming on the show! I had to edit some of his answers for length purposes, his unedited responses can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/112MatvhZ-OmAGZDm11CaZU...

As always, let me know if you liked it and let me know if you have ideas for the next show. Until then, don't be afraid to train guards with the ability to score from outside!

This Post:
278016.4 in reply to 278016.3
Date: 3/20/2016 12:48:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Quality post

This Post:
278016.5 in reply to 278016.4
Date: 3/20/2016 4:40:14 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
Quality post

Ironically, your post sucked. Show a little more enthusiasm and appreciation using a gif, like me.

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago

This Post:
278016.6 in reply to 278016.4
Date: 3/20/2016 4:59:29 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
Are you still down for the sleepover @ 6pm? Black-ops and pizza! Allnight-er! We have to be in bed by 8:55pm, though.

This Post:
278016.7 in reply to 278016.5
Date: 3/20/2016 6:27:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Quality post

Ironically, your post sucked. Show a little more enthusiasm and appreciation using a gif, like me.
(http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/...)

http://i.imgur.com/F2TfVjc.gif

This Post:
278016.8 in reply to 278016.6
Date: 3/20/2016 6:28:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Aw man I'm late aren't I. Can we stay up until 9:15 at least? I feel like I'm at that age now where I can start taking on extra responsibilities but I'm totally cool if we stick to the original plan. Your call fam

This Post:
278016.9 in reply to 278016.8
Date: 3/20/2016 7:52:39 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
Nah, brah. It's too late. I'm already in bed. Next time 9:15pm for sure!

This Post:
278016.10 in reply to 278016.9
Date: 3/21/2016 8:28:52 AM
Greensboro Generals
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I got our movie for the night....DONT GET CAUGHT WATCHING THE PAINT DRY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s11Ff8MktME

gee golly willakers Beave you think he's from Indiana?/ His team is set up like every suburban school from South Bend to Terry Haute.

This Post:
278016.11 in reply to 278016.3
Date: 3/21/2016 2:06:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for tuning in, and thanks to GM-hrudey for coming on the show! I had to edit some of his answers for length purposes, his unedited responses can be found here: (https://docs.google.com/document/d/112MatvhZ-OmAGZDm11CaZU...)

As always, let me know if you liked it and let me know if you have ideas for the next show. Until then, don't be afraid to train guards with the ability to score from outside!

Literally the first and only time that the complaints about my length have been that there's too much. But it was definitely fun.