BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > FML Radio: The Draft (khenry)

FML Radio: The Draft (khenry)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 5/8/2016 1:15:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Welcome to the last episode of FML Radio before the postseason. This is always a super exciting time in BuzzerBeater. Promotions are on the line, games mean much more, salaries change, players grow older, and of course the draft happens.

Personally, I seem to be really good at drafting live pieces of garbage. Today we're going to talk to a manager who has had a bit more success from the draft after selling his first round draft pick for 9,690,000 dollars last season.

Shrewsbury Honeybadgers own khenry!
(http://i3.cpcache.com/image/97593341_125x125.png)
----
Chek: Tell us about your life outside of BB.

khenry: I started BB a few years ago when I was a division 1 track athlete. I tore my shoulder throwing javelin in the first meet of the year after being primed to make the Olympic Trials so that was a bummer. I moved back home to Nebraska where I am now the Associate News Director at a radio station. I also produce a sports talk show on our local ESPN station, and I'm a volunteer assistant track coach at the college in town.

Chek: Last season you scored big in the draft when you sold your number one draft pick, Long Leach,
(http://i.imgur.com/BtmuDhg.png)
for nearly $10 million dollars, untrained. How has that sale affected your club?

khen: It really accelerated my plans. After my short hiatus I had saved up about $14M already from gate receipts and a fire sale before saving up. That extra cash allowed me to grab a couple extra pieces and run at a deficit while preparing my team to hopefully make a run at Div.II. I had a situation very similar to this in S27 when I had just drafted HoF Johnnie Byrne. Inflation hadn't set in then so his sale price was $1.7M but that was enough to buy another couple players to promote and build my arena.

Chek: Do you think Long Leach was really worth 9.6 million dollars?

Khen: I think in a normal market with his TSP and potential he would go for 3-5 million tops, so I listed him at 5. The current market has been inflated so the auction war took the price up to the final tally, which benefits me, but I think really speaks to the market being out of control.

Chek: What was your strategy when spending draft points and would you change it if you had the first pick again this season?

Khen: In my first 11 drafts my strategy was simply to do the Scouting Combine and Group Demonstration, then interviewing the players with the best Star Rating and fit the height I was training. That simple guide landed me 2 All-Stars, 3 Perennial All-Stars, 1 Superstar, and 1 Hall of Famer. I didn't invest in the draft unless I was in the bottom 6 of the league.

When the BBs expanded the scouting that we could do I really saved up my points. I again used the Scouting Combine and Group Demonstration, but also all 5 options to see the skills of the players. That used 70 scouting Points. I then found the players with the best Star Rating/Skills and interviewed as many as I could to maximize the potential for my draftees. I used 160-180 scouting points. That landed me [Long Leach, who] I sold, and a SS that I'm training.

Chek: On FML Radio's last episode Jason mentioned that he wants the draft to change so that teams are able to draft older players (~22) that are able to be competitive immediately. What do you think of this idea?

This Post:
278674.2 in reply to 278674.1
Date: 5/8/2016 1:18:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
khen: I think Jason had a great idea with expanding the draft. Adding older, more game ready players would be a great plan. It would just have to be a delicate balance of 18 y/o's with good potential and older, better players that can play now. At the end of the day, the draft needs expanding. I love the draft and do what I can with how it is, but not enough users take even a slight interest in investing in the draft. Money invested into draft/scouting points leaves the game, which I think is something the BBs would agree is what they have been attempting to do with the hoarding tax and overextension taxes to control the market a bit. The draft needs to have something done to create greater appeal for users.

Chek: If you were sorted into a Hogwarts house, which house would it be?

khen: I would most certainly be Gryffindor. I've taken enough of those Buzzfeed quizzes to know my personality

Chek: *Glances at logo of a badger* uh... ok. Would you describe yourself as someone who just takes what it wants?

khen: I would say I do take what I want. I don't give a shit. My logo isn't even mine. Just took it off some beagle I caught crapping in my yard. I don't give a shit. I'm just a badass.

Chek: If you could see one change implemented into BuzzerBeater what would it be?

khen: I would love to see the draft improved, but I haven't come up with any solutions as to how to do so. So if I were given keys to the kingdom for a day I would most want to see a BuzzerBeater World merger as laid out here (278372.1). I think the economy, competitive balance, and overall interest in the game would be increased if teams were on equal terms across the playing field. I also think NT/U21 interest would increase since in my suggestion America/Canada would have 4 regions to grow fierce rivalries.
----

Big thanks to khenry! We wish his club the Shrewsbury Honeybadgers good luck as they go into the playoffs of IV.54 as the number one ranked team.

Once again, thanks for tuning in to FML Radio. Please like and subscribe and rate and share. Hang this up on your fridge. Whatever.

ALSO look for an international edition of FML radio coming later today on the global forums, back by popular demand! We will be sitting down with NdR the coach of the Italian u21 team.

Last edited by Chekreyes at 5/8/2016 1:57:08 PM

This Post:
278674.3 in reply to 278674.1
Date: 5/8/2016 1:44:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for letting me take part!

I have 1757 players for sale and I'm $25,835,360 in debt. Buy them at outrageous prices, or be selfish and make me go bankrupt. You decide, BB.
This Post:
278674.4 in reply to 278674.3
Date: 5/8/2016 4:25:29 PM
Upsyndrome
III.15
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Upsyndrome II
I would most want to see a BuzzerBeater World merger as laid out here (278372.1). I think the economy, competitive balance, and overall interest in the game would be increased if teams were on equal terms across the playing field. I also think NT/U21 interest would increase since in my suggestion America/Canada would have 4 regions to grow fierce rivalries.

America/Canada region (1) Vs. America/Canada region (4): greatest rivalry of all time. What is this...The Hunger Games?

"You will lose." -Ivan Drago

This Post:
278674.6 in reply to 278674.4
Date: 5/8/2016 6:00:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It would be more like Atlantic v Pacific Northwest or Rocky Mountains v New England. Region names to be decided by BBs or user suggestions. Not just North America A v North America C.

I have 1757 players for sale and I'm $25,835,360 in debt. Buy them at outrageous prices, or be selfish and make me go bankrupt. You decide, BB.

This Post:
278674.7 in reply to 278674.6
Date: 5/8/2016 8:13:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Biggie vs Tupac vs Drake vs Eminem

To: Phyr
This Post:
278674.8 in reply to 278674.7
Date: 5/8/2016 10:14:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Biggie vs Tupac vs Drake vs Eminem

Gimme Lil Yachty all day

This Post:
278674.9 in reply to 278674.8
Date: 5/9/2016 12:58:05 AM
Milwaukee Lethargy
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
MiƂwaukee Lethargy
I've always figured you as more of a "Wham Rap!" type of guy.

(https://youtu.be/BsyHQgiem8c?t=25s)

This Post:
278674.10 in reply to 278674.9
Date: 5/9/2016 9:05:40 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I was until 5 days ago when this video came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251cxou3yR4

To: Phyr
This Post:
278674.11 in reply to 278674.7
Date: 5/9/2016 12:02:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Did you read the Global episode with Italy's U21 manager? I found it interesting that he said having Italian managers own their players hasn't necessarily been a big part of their success.