BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Stamina has too little of an effect?

Stamina has too little of an effect?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/21/2016 3:39:10 PM
Kira Kira Koseki
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
(94281244)

Not an "OMG how did I lose", as KK's team proved to be better in the team and match-up ratings, and any argument I have for being screwed by the referee is offset by one of his starters getting injured not long before the foul-out. I accept that I was bested fairly this time.

However... KK has literally no bench. Four of his starters played all 48 minutes without rest, and the fifth would have also if not for said injury which allowed his 10k salary cheerleader onto the court. My team wasn't that well rested either, but except for Melmeth, they at least got chances to sit down. KK's team should've been tired in the final quarter.

And the game seemed to be playing out that way as I did cut the lead to one, having been down eight at the start of the quarter... but then in the final two minutes, they start playing intense defence, I'm unable to score another field goal, and they win. Despite having four tired players and one lacklustre sub on the floor, they completely shut us down in the clutch.

Also they were playing Look Inside vs my Patient. I don't know if it matters, but if it does they should in theory be consuming more energy per possession by playing fast as opposed to my slow tempo.

This begs the question... does stamina have too little of an effect in the game engine right now? Because I have four back-ups capable of playing solid minutes when called upon (though only three played this time), and yet I get beat by a team that lacks a viable sixth man, much less anything that resembles a bench. Yes, his starting five is better, but it doesn't seem particularly realistic.

Because players remaining effective over a full 48 minute game without taking a rest is uncommon in real life basketball. It only ever happens when one player is so much better than everyone else that even in their tired state they are still able to play at a high level.

Last edited by Jay (OTT) at 12/21/2016 4:29:58 PM

This Post:
284142.2 in reply to 284142.1
Date: 12/23/2016 4:32:16 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The effect of (low) stamina is huge, just take a look at low stamina players and their rating in long or short minutes - browse the transfer list and see. Maybe his players all have excellent stamina.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
284142.3 in reply to 284142.2
Date: 12/23/2016 6:33:12 AM
Kira Kira Koseki
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
I know that his players all have excellent stamina and that is not the point I am trying to make here. Basketball is a fast paced game. 48 minutes is still going to sap the strength of even the most hardy of beings, especially with the only 'true' breaks in play being the half time break, two quarter breaks, and three timeouts called (all from my coach) all game.

This Post:
284142.4 in reply to 284142.3
Date: 12/23/2016 8:01:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Basketball is a fast paced game.

Well obviously not, when you are playing a patient offense. Better run them in the ground next time.

Maybe the regeneration during the breaks is too big, but that has not been a problem in the last 10 years. If you put a huge penalty on playing 48 minutes, you can completely ditch training too. I see the problem you adress, but the possible solution would bring like 10 even worse problems.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
284142.5 in reply to 284142.4
Date: 12/26/2016 7:43:01 PM
Kira Kira Koseki
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
Then why don't we ditch the HatTrick style training and replace it with the system BatTrick went with? From what I remember (I didn't play for all that long), that game gave you 10 'nets' a week that acted as practice sessions that you could assign to players. It's an idea that I may have to elaborate on in a new thread in suggestions...

Also, whilst you have a point in that Patient gave his team a chance to rest, it can be argued that by playing LI, they are consuming more energy on average per possession than my team is, which may cause the energy disparity to widen despite my slow paced offence.

This Post:
284142.6 in reply to 284142.5
Date: 12/27/2016 9:15:04 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Please don't ask me why certain things (do not) happen. If I had something to say many things would look much different.