BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Things that need to happen to stop a slow death

Things that need to happen to stop a slow death

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 8/8/2017 10:20:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This game needs more players. If you want to attract them in 'The Age of Apps' then some version of the following needs to happen immediately.

1. Gut and revamp national divisions. I know this is already happening to a degree, but why not just throw everyone into large pools broken up into three major leagues, loosely sorted by time zones. Your nationality would still hold true and we could even see some graphic on the homepage or whatever showcasing the country of origin.

WHY?

National leagues are imbalanced. Teams in smaller countries have to meet unrealistic salary floors once they promote to a higher division. The team with a 90k player salaries should be with other teams in similar situations. Instead we have a 90k teams with bots in most of their league, and insanely good teams in the division above them. They are in no man's land.

Consolidating on are larger scale would hurt in the short run sure, but it's the fastest way to increasing the player base, which will take too long to increase if we keep trimming a few countries one season at a time. In two years, this game could be dead. This change needs to happen in the next 3 months.

2. Stock the transfer list with tons of players whose salaries range from 10k-30k.

WHY?

This will lower their price affording new players a chance to improve their team without destroying their finances, while have the ability to train as well. They're improving in multiple ways, which is a nice feeling. People play games because the games hit certain reward centers of the brain. Call it a dopamine hit, neurons firing, whatever, people want rewarded for playing games (whether they realize it or not), and THIS GAME takes months and months for that to happen. It's too slow. I play chess. I read books. I am older and have forged a sense of patience, and if I think this game is slow, Imagine what a 25 year old thinks...

So you see, it's not about me. It's what's best for the realm.

3. Speed up training by allowing some customization in how players are trained.

WHAT?

Allow us to pick a player who gets a bonus to training (like a franchise tag), or lower the minute threshold to 40 minutes, or slightly increase the rate of training, or allow us to spend scouting points on increasing certain training, etc. ANYTHING to make it feel fun. That's why people play games, to enjoy themselves.

There is nothing enjoyable about spending 2 years saving up just to hit the salary floor once promoted and then go 2-20, only to drop back down and then sell some of those players. This scenario hasn't even happened to me personally. I am not complaining because I am selfish. Quite the opposite. I am offering constructive feedback because I want this game to survive another 5 years. I love it, and sometimes love is about being honest with the things you care about.

I hope to see a response from management on the above. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Coach Plotts at 8/9/2017 4:37:25 PM

This Post:
288766.2 in reply to 288766.1
Date: 8/9/2017 3:50:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
+1!!

I hope Marin reads this carefully.

This Post:
288766.3 in reply to 288766.1
Date: 8/9/2017 10:34:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I read books. I am older and have forged a sense of patience, and if I think this game is slow, Imagine what a 25 year old thinks...

Here definitely lies the problem. The vast majority of people who sign up realise how long it would take to be competitive and aren't prepared to wait around. Tanking is the only way to succeed with longevity (which only compounds the overall situation) and the people who want to join the game without understanding that don't last very long.

Allow us to pick a player who gets a bonus to training (like a franchise tag), or lower the minute threshold to 40 minutes, or slightly increase the rate of training, or allow us to spend scouting points on increasing certain training, etc. ANYTHING to make it feel fun. That's why people play games, to enjoy themselves.

Training is the best way to get ahead in the current market, and a lot 'established' players still don't understand the basics. A few seasons ago I seen an 18 year old MVP with 56 TSP that has barely been trained since. Offered to buy him for top dollar or give advice on how to train and was ignored. In my leagues last draft someone picked up an 18 year old draftee with HOF potential and 55 TSP who has yet to receive a minute of training. I explained that he is losing value by not training him and offered a more than fair purchase price if he didn't want to go down that path. He's listed him 4 times now without a bid.

If 100% of managers knew how to train there wouldn't be an issue with the current system. But they don't and its unrealistic to think they ever will. I like the idea of decreasing the minutes required, but personally would like to see the garbage time rule scraped so those who know how to train don't get punished for being successful first. It would make less of an impact on the economy (which is what the BBs are scared of) and makes tanking less desirable for managers who have money/assets but still want to train.

This Post:
288766.5 in reply to 288766.3
Date: 8/14/2017 9:57:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Training is a big part of it, as you said. If more lower division teams knew how to train and the benefits gained from it, they would stay more involved, imo. Those who train well stay more involved, it seems. I cant speak for others, but I know that for me Friday morning pops are one of my favorite log ins of the week.

A big problem I notice, especially with lower/newer teams, is that so many managers don't understand the benefits of game shape. I see guys in my league who have considerably better players than I do, but I regularly beat them with lesser and cheaper (salary) players because their stars are at mediocre GS, while my generic players are at proficient/strong GS. Perhaps some kind of tutorial might help?

Lastly, I think that many new players think they can log in once a week or so and eventually get better. If someone is just looking for a casual part time experience they can check in to, they most likely wont do well, wont see improvements, and lose interest. It takes a bit of commitment to make any headway in this game, and unfortunately no matter what changes are made, these managers will come and go with regularity.

Last edited by Heathcote at 8/14/2017 9:59:19 PM

This Post:
288766.6 in reply to 288766.5
Date: 8/15/2017 1:49:47 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
A big problem I notice, especially with lower/newer teams, is that so many managers don't understand the benefits of game shape. I see guys in my league who have considerably better players than I do, but I regularly beat them with lesser and cheaper (salary) players because their stars are at mediocre GS, while my generic players are at proficient/strong GS. 

In a lot of cases this also applies to experienced teams. Enthusiasm can be thrown into that category as well.