BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > 2-3 zone vs. inside box and one.

2-3 zone vs. inside box and one.

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
292690.4 in reply to 292690.3
Date: 03/08/2018 03:59:52
Tamarillo Wings
IV.17
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slam Drunk Celtics
I do believe Box and One could be an interesting option, a way more efficient than 2-3 that expose you too much on the outside.

It is true that, playing against an inside oriented offence, a 2-3 may be somewhat effective, but with a little bit of offensive flow the problems created to your defence overcome the additional resistance offered in the interior.

The Box and One is not an extreme solution in my opinion. Regardless of the kind of Box played, if the players composing the Box are versatile defender (or at least most of them, without very very bad players in OD or ID), they're going to defend in a pretty balanced and effective way both the inside and the outside. Maybe with a different starting focus, but not too different among the two kind. It's obvious that, if on the opponent's team, there is one particular offensive player that really tops the others, a Box should represent a particularly interesting option. But I do believe, even against a pretty homogeneous offence, a well built Box could be really effective.

We have already discussed the difference between theory and practice of the Inside and Outside Box, so you already know from my point of view the Outside Box is the one that has to be played against an inside oriented tactics. But that's not the point here, the focus is on the effectiveness of the Box defending the interior, and this should be discussed without taking in consideration which of the two Box is mostly going to that.

The problem, in my opinion, is the same of the 3-2. There are really good advantages in those zones, and those are relevant. But, to overcome all the problematics that may cause you, it is important to have a roster built with some particular skills. The only exception may be just the case in which you have an offensive monster in the other team, but even here some minimum has to be matched.

Last edited by GM-samusaran (ITA-Staff) at 03/08/2018 04:00:46

This Post:
292690.7 in reply to 292690.6
Date: 03/08/2018 10:03:21
Tamarillo Wings
IV.17
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slam Drunk Celtics
Well, it all depends on who is your +1 and how valuable are the other players. Clearly, if the +1 is a big man I think it wouldn't make sense pushing him more to the outside, especially if you have 2 guards composing the box then.

On the other hand, it's pretty obvious that, if the +1 is going to be a guard without a high level of ID...it would be the opposite. The limitation of a excellent interior scorer will be very little if the m2m defence is assigned to a low ID player.

Your idea anyway is not wrong, I mean, it all depends on players. Let's say your best defender is a guard (for example PG) and all the other players remaining possess good ID...in that scenario it could make sense playing an inside box to use the box to defend the interior. In a different situation, as for example if your best defender is your PF and/or your guards don't have ID, I wouldn't consider this a good option. You'd lose your best interior defender on a m2m defence on a outside player...and you'd ask to defend the inside to a couple of guards with average/low ID.

But that's an interesting point! I would love to run some tests with a well built inside box against LI, unfortunately right now I'm in rebuilding mode and I'm not in the position to do that.

I have little datas regarding rebounding. The ratings are not too much different compared to a m2m with the same lineup, maybe slightly better but, at the time, I was focusing on different aspects.

This Post:
292690.9 in reply to 292690.8
Date: 03/08/2018 11:34:21
Tamarillo Wings
IV.17
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slam Drunk Celtics
That's good! I'll gladly take a look at your results ;)

Among things, I'm really considering to develop my team specifically to optimise the Box.