Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 3/30/2018 9:53:13 PM
Sandersville Preyers
IV.9
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Faulknersburg Friars
I just watched a quarter of basketball using the outside box-in-one defense where my PF--the worst outside defender on the court-was covering three different players in three different locations on the perimeter with anticipated results. I see one of your big guys getting caught once in awhile as the zone shifts, but not that many times in one quarter. Is that common with this defense, or just random occurrence?

To: LDR
This Post:
292912.2 in reply to 292912.1
Date: 4/2/2018 10:03:45 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I just watched a quarter of basketball using the outside box-in-one defense where my PF--the worst outside defender on the court-was covering three different players in three different locations on the perimeter with anticipated results. I see one of your big guys getting caught once in awhile as the zone shifts, but not that many times in one quarter. Is that common with this defense, or just random occurrence?

I wouldn't read too much into the locations; I don't have any links to it but I'm pretty certain that it was stated that the BB match engine basically just simulates outcomes of possessions based on the skills of players involved, tactics, etc. rather than actually simulating the positions and movement of the ten players on the court plus the ball. So the engine runs a possession, spits out that player X will shoot a jump shot, and that player Y will be contesting it, and whether it's good or not, and then the viewer places it somewhere. In a zone, though, if there's a player who is definitely worse at defending the type of shot that the opponent is looking for, the odds are good that they'll be picked upon frequently. Unless, of course, you actually have a team that wants to shoot three point shots, since the engine also seems to hard code that you have to at least take 60% or so of your shots inside the arc, no matter how worthless your guys are inside the arc.

This Post:
292912.3 in reply to 292912.2
Date: 4/5/2018 8:09:40 AM
Sandersville Preyers
IV.9
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Faulknersburg Friars

I wouldn't read too much into the locations; I don't have any links to it but I'm pretty certain that it was stated that the BB match engine basically just simulates outcomes of possessions based on the skills of players involved, tactics, etc. rather than actually simulating the positions and movement of the ten players on the court plus the ball. So the engine runs a possession, spits out that player X will shoot a jump shot, and that player Y will be contesting it, and whether it's good or not, and then the viewer places it somewhere. In a zone, though, if there's a player who is definitely worse at defending the type of shot that the opponent is looking for, the odds are good that they'll be picked upon frequently. Unless, of course, you actually have a team that wants to shoot three point shots, since the engine also seems to hard code that you have to at least take 60% or so of your shots inside the arc, no matter how worthless your guys are inside the arc.

Expectations and damned expectations! That explains a lot of what I have seen in the viewer—matching PBP and location on the viewer for some shots is very entertaining. I’ll never view the game the same Thanks!

To: LDR
This Post:
292912.4 in reply to 292912.3
Date: 4/5/2018 2:31:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Expectations and damned expectations! That explains a lot of what I have seen in the viewer—matching PBP and location on the viewer for some shots is very entertaining. I’ll never view the game the same Thanks!

You haven't lived until you see a blocked shot be called an airball and given to the defense and a guy shooting free throws from the bench.

This Post:
292912.5 in reply to 292912.4
Date: 4/5/2018 3:33:27 PM
Sandersville Preyers
IV.9
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Faulknersburg Friars

You haven't lived until you see a blocked shot be called an airball and given to the defense and a guy shooting free throws from the bench.

😂 I’m going to start writing them down. And all This Time I never realized there was a cap on the number of shots that would be attempted from behind the arc. There goes 34 seasons of strategy thinking I just hadn’t trained guys right—😭