Help - English > shot distribution

shot distribution

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
299787.2 in reply to 299787.1
Date: 5/15/2019 5:45:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The skill of a player, the team, and the opponent's defense can play a part. For example, I expect a team that plays RNG with high JS/JR guys at PG, SG and SF should expect to see more shots than the PF and C. That's all I can think of.

This Post:
299787.3 in reply to 299787.1
Date: 5/15/2019 7:01:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It seems to me that in every slow paced offense, the GE looks more for mismatches and you might be more likely to see 2-3 players take the majority of the shots. When mismatches aren't present, you'll see a more even distribution. For quicker paced offenses, I tend to see the shots more dispersed and well rounded across the lineup.

With that being said, while the slower paced offense generally gets the better mismatches the ball and the shots, it seems to me that they are typically not as open of shots. Basically the better players will shoot more, but they won't be the higher percentage shots. The opposite is true for faster paced offenses. While the GE finds fewer mismatches, the ball is moving around faster and players get higher quality shots, but they aren't always your best scorers.

No facts or statistics to back this up, this is just what I have observed with my own team and some U21 NTs.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs

This Post:
299787.5 in reply to 299787.4
Date: 5/17/2019 10:00:00 PM
Smallfries
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Smallfries II
Here's my quick take on shot distribution:

LP/LI - obviously the goal in these offenses is to go inside. In LI you tend to see more layups/drives from guards as well as dunks and inside shots from the Big men. In LP, the ball is in the post more with your Bigs or best low post scorers with their back to the basket. You might see more assists from the Bigs as they tend to kick it out to the guards more. Guards in general seem to take more jump shots in LP.

In all of the base offenses the GE usually takes advantage of the mismatches more. In Patient you will see one guy shoot most of the shots, while in PTB and Base offense you tend to see equal shots between the starting 5. The difference is that in PTB or Base the GE leads to players taking their more "natural" shot rather than forcing a certain shot type.

In RnG you tend to see more shot amounts from PG-SF. Usually these players will shoot quite a few threes. The higher the JR on a guy, the more he will shoot threes. Also, guys tend to shoot more contested shots in RnG.

In motion, passing is a little more important and JR less important as more midrange shots are taken. This tactic is a good one to take advantage of a mismatch at PF or C as the GE feeds it more to those in motion than in RnG.

In Princeton, you will get a high dosage of jump shots from the guards and PF. You will need high PA from the PF as the offense runs primarily through him with guards cutting to the basket as well as getting open for threes. DR and JR are important in this offense. But you want good outside and inside scoring at PF to really take advantage of this offense.

In the Isos, you usually see balanced shot distribution with a little more of a focus on inside shots or outside shots depending on outside or inside iso.

Overall, if you want a few players to shoot more, go with Patient, Princeton, or LP (so the slow offenses). Otherwise, the GE will tend to have balanced shooting from your team in other offenses.

With all that said, this definitely can be dependent on the makeup of your team.

Last edited by Isaiah at 5/18/2019 1:28:02 AM

This Post:
299787.6 in reply to 299787.3
Date: 5/18/2019 11:46:07 PM
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
With that being said, while the slower paced offense generally gets the better mismatches the ball and the shots, it seems to me that they are typically not as open of shots. Basically the better players will shoot more, but they won't be the higher percentage shots.

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but in BB, aren't mismatches supposed to be higher quality shots than open ones? Eg a good shooter shooting over a terrible defender would have a better chance at scoring than when he's wide open. Or has the game engine changed?

This Post:
299787.7 in reply to 299787.6
Date: 5/18/2019 11:55:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
From what I understand it finds quality player mismatches but that doesn't always mean it leads to higher quality shots, it just creates more opportunities for the better shooting player to exploit the mismatch.

I suppose you can interpret it as a player "finding his spot" or as the player getting more open. I think that aspect is influenced by the offensive tactic.

The goal is to always get quality shots or open shots. Or the absolute best, open quality shots.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs
This Post:
299787.8 in reply to 299787.1
Date: 5/27/2019 9:38:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Flow level depends on shots and assists, I think. From my reading a center with good passing will win 20% of your games.