BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Importance of Arena

Importance of Arena

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 7/11/2021 12:58:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I *think* i know the answer to this but I'd be grateful for any advice for those who are wiser than me.

So, I'm currently in rough place in my league. As I see it, I have two options. Option one would be to buy another player or two and solidify my position (and avoid relegating). The cost of this would be that i would make less money per week (or maybe none). THis would mean I cannot finish building out my arena.

Option two is, continue losing and try to avoid relegation (and likely fail). The advantage of this would be that I would continue making money and continue to build out my arena. I estimate that I need about another 2.2M to finish building my arena.

In short, should I be OK with relegating in order to continue building up my arena? I'm leaning towards continuing losing, building out my arena and spending a season in DIV in part because I know this is a marathon and not a sprint. Another factor is that (I think) my DIII league is somewhat competitive and I could end up in an easier DIII league upon re-promotion (and re-promotion bonus).

I'm not planning on selling my players because I make a decent enough profit (~50K without cup or BBM) and i would start getting blown out since I already have one of the lowest salaries in the league.

Poll:  Relegate?
Response Votes Result

Tank and build arena 40
88.9% 88.9% 88.9%
88.9%
Fight to stay competitive 5
11.1% 11.1% 11.1%
11.1%

This poll ended on 7/25/2021.

This Post:
311217.3 in reply to 311217.1
Date: 7/11/2021 2:12:13 PM
Johns Creek Wave
IV.27
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Holly Springs Haggis
I'm in your group, so you probably shouldn't take advice from me. And I probably shouldn't give you any advice either. But at least I'm familiar with the group.

The only real reason to tank is to get the 1st draft pick. In order to make that worthwhile, you'd have to dump money into scouting. And there's no guarantee you'd get a really good player anyway. So tanking is never a great option.

OTOH, steel sharpens steel. You will never learn more about the game than by playing in a competitive league. And in the long run, that will help you more than anything. Your stadium will get built eventually. But what you learn by trying to stay alive is invaluable.

We're only 3 games into the season and you never know what will happen. We already know that one team is trying to dump a high salary player. We had one team go bankrupt last season. How things are at the end of a season can look a lot different than now.

Personally, I'd dump some of the guys at the end of your bench and use their salary to buy another player.Just make sure it's a player that fills a need and doesn't cost too much. And don't get too worked up about salaries. They don't tell the whole story about a player. I have the second lowest salary number in the entire league. I finished 3rd last season. I'm not scared this season.

Last edited by Gaillimh at 7/11/2021 2:15:13 PM

This Post:
311217.4 in reply to 311217.1
Date: 7/12/2021 5:52:52 AM
Tampines Fusion
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
One thing I learned from Venomous Scorpions is that tanking works wonders. Tho I don't know how bad the income is for Div IV since I can't even drop into Div III despite being dead last for a few seasons, so my perspective might not be entirely accurate.

You're just past your third full season. BB isn't exactly a "short term" game. Focus on competing now and you might probably stay a competitive Div III team 10 seasons later with minimal hope of promoting. The most important thing in your first few seasons in BB is to get that arena constructed as fast as possible. You aren't far away from it tho, I can see you've only got a few thousand seats for lower tier and bleachers left. So personally if you asked me, I would focus on building my arena and then only compete.

Last edited by BuzzRBeater at 7/12/2021 5:53:28 AM

This Post:
311217.5 in reply to 311217.1
Date: 7/12/2021 3:42:37 PM
Optic Fibres
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Wānaka Lakers
I'd definitely just focus on training and get your arena finished as that's your main source of income. Another thing I'd do is start investing in scouting and make sure you get the best draft pick available to you at the end of the season. That could give you instant funds if you decide to sell or a focal point for your team for the next ten seasons if you decide to train.