BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > coaches sub pattern

coaches sub pattern

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 5/17/2008 5:18:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
My game went into OT today and before the jump ball in the first OT my coach took out all my starters and did not replace them till there was 30 secs left. I let my coach make the decision on subs. During that time was a time out and the coach should have made some subs. The coach could have lost me the game as my second team was playing against his first team. The subbing pattern needs to be worked on. There is no way that my starters go into start every quarter but not my OT.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.
This Post:
31705.2 in reply to 31705.1
Date: 5/19/2008 8:03:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
maybe your starters used up their stamina to get the game into OT, and when the OT started the subs where the best choice??

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
31705.3 in reply to 31705.2
Date: 5/19/2008 8:19:12 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
then the coach should use a time out or play the players more evenly. Not let my second unit decide the game. I have good backups but that is not the point. Even during the game my coach should decide when to make subs and should play my best players on that given day instead of putting in my starters who might be struggling and being out played by his backup.

You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em, Know when to walk away and know when to run. You never count your money when youre sittin at the table. Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done.
This Post:
31705.4 in reply to 31705.3
Date: 5/19/2008 3:51:47 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I have to say that subs really confuse me. when I watch a game live, I often find that if a team is far ahead, the starters still tend to stay in the game all the way to the end. I would think that if a team is up by more than 10 points with 5 minutes to go, there the bench should be emptied at that point, rather than risk the health of a starter to injury. Even if I start a second-stringer, a third-stringer typically doesn't even get a whiff of playing time in games that are already decided.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
31705.5 in reply to 31705.4
Date: 5/19/2008 3:56:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would think that if a team is up by more than 10 points with 5 minutes to go, there the bench should be emptied at that point

That's not really a safe lead.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
31705.6 in reply to 31705.5
Date: 5/19/2008 4:39:30 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, at least in the last 2 or 3 minutes then? The point is, I have yet to see a game when the coaches acknowledged that the game is decided and the bench warmers came off the bench, which is what I would expect to happen sometimes. Basically, I have yet to see evidence of any threshold for a blowout triggering the use of the guys at the end of the bench. Is there one?

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!

This Post:
31705.7 in reply to 31705.6
Date: 5/19/2008 8:45:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
With my experience, my subs finished the game in a scrimmage after being up 20-30 points in the 3rd. Also, 10 points can be easily caught up with in 2-3 mins. Just strong defense and a couple big shots, then you'd be back into the game.

This Post:
31705.8 in reply to 31705.7
Date: 5/19/2008 8:55:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yup.
10 points could hardly be enough unless you're one minute or minute and a half from the end. More than that should be risky.

If you wan't your bench warmers to play the last 5 minutes you should be leading by 15-20 I think, though It is obviously a question to which each of us should probably have different answers.

Anyway, there IS such a threshold and bench warmers DO come to play when you're winning by a certain advantage. I can't answer you though at what point exactly that happens.

This Post:
31705.9 in reply to 31705.8
Date: 5/19/2008 9:32:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The bench is cleared when your team is up 20 or more in the 4th quarter.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
31705.10 in reply to 31705.9
Date: 5/20/2008 4:17:44 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
lets forget about your 3rd stringers.

what if you point guards are even in skill and your backup is having a better day why cant he get more minutes. why are all the subs together excep for foul trouble. why when up 30 points in the third are my starters still playing. how do i get my bench more active. why cant i have a six man. i have one bench player as good as my 5 starters and i cant get him more than 15 minutes a game when he does not start. I want to know if it is possible to get my bench more active. I already let my coach decide and he tends to only play my starters .

This Post:
31705.11 in reply to 31705.10
Date: 5/20/2008 9:03:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm pretty sure there is a threshold for 3rd period too.
I say this because I had many situations where my bench warmers would actually play more minutes than my starters, mainly in the easy matches.

As to a sixth man, you have to put him as a backup in more than one position. Which is also what in fact usually happens with real 6th players, at least to me, to deserve the name, a 6th player should play 25min+ almost every game. I

Last edited by LA-André at 5/20/2008 9:03:52 AM