This Post:
Date: 06/06/2024 12:29:46
Sanxia Hawks
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sanxia Hawks II
Proposal to Abolish "Training Positions"
BuzzerBeater is a simulation of a real basketball manager game, right?

The traditional training methods should be abolished, as times have changed!

I have always found the concept of "training positions" quite strange. Placing a 220 cm tall player at PG or a 180 cm tall player at C is extremely unrealistic, and they might have to stay in those positions for 3-4 seasons. I hope the system can be simplified and made more flexible. For example, in the training interface, you could "select" three players to train, with training time based on their playing time, but the training speed might be influenced by their height (e.g., shorter players might train rebounding more slowly).

One of the benefits is that arranging players in "training positions" would not be as easily targeted or guessed. This means that unless a player is listed for sale, no one would know what they're being trained for except through their performance data.

This would discourage the mindset of "I'll just leave it as it is." Even during a rebuilding phase, without aiming for the top pick, you could still make an effort to arrange a good lineup and play well.

This issue becomes apparent when you train a small forward for outside skills and then switch to inside skills; the team’s weakness in the inside becomes obvious. With such a flaw, you might not want to invest in good players until the trainees are more complete, leading to a dull period. However, without "training positions," even if my trainees are substitutes, as long as they play 45+ minutes a week, they can still grow well.

One of the benefits is that when you can fill the five starting positions, the transfer market will become active. Newcomers joining the league will find it to be a competitive and exciting environment, rather than experiencing tanking or seeing five players playing 48 minutes each.

This Post:
323722.2 in reply to 323722.1
Date: 06/07/2024 10:31:56
QQguest
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Interesting, I have never thought about it this way.

Can I understand it as
the training areas (such as Inside Defense, Rebounding, Outside Shooting, and Handling) remain unchanged,
and the content and speed of training remain unchanged,
but only the second drop-down menu that decides which positions to train is changed to the number of players (changed to 3, 6, 9, or Team based on the original number of positions),
and a new "select" option to choose which players to train is added?

Last edited by little Guest at 06/07/2024 10:55:15

This Post:
323722.3 in reply to 323722.1
Date: 06/08/2024 16:24:28
Jack Sparrow
IV.58
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree with the basis of the proposal but precisely one of the things that I liked most about the game is discovering that a player had to be used in certain positions to increase his qualities in a certain skill.
Contrary to what you say, it is something completely real. For example, Pau Gasol acquired his passing and dribbling skills playing as a point guard for Barcelona despite being the tallest on the squad.

He did do that in the lower categories, not once having risen to the first team.

That's why I like your idea but related to another that I have proposed, which is youth teams. (323660.1)

I think that the player's initial training is very important and that once he reaches the elite the player continues to evolve but more in tactical concepts, game vision and above all experience but at 24 years old he does not know how to shoot from 3 or give a pass You are no longer going to become a master of that.

On the other hand, that a national team has to play official matches with improper third-category players, either to avoid exhausting the starters or to train them when they are already quite old, seems crazy to me without any sense.

This Post:
323722.4 in reply to 323722.1
Date: 06/08/2024 18:57:52
Field Mice
SBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ale Aardvarks
Everytime someone complains about position training to develop certain skills compared to the real world I think of Giannis Basketball Reference page that has him listed at PG/SG/SF his first 4 seasons when he developed lots of his skills that made him what he is today.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/antetgi01.html

This Post:
323722.6 in reply to 323722.1
Date: 06/11/2024 10:15:57
Franca Shoemakers Revival
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Mito só o da Caverna
Variations of your proposal have been proposed all those years. They are all mostly nice but they would also mean a completely different game and thus are hard to consider.

However, there is an implementation that could be made and which would allow more variations, would allow some secrecy and also would keep the spirit of how BB training works:

- training should be possible not only for the player's designated offensive position but also for the player's designated defense position.

For example, you have a perimeter player that you want to develop his inside skills, than:

Player A - offense PG defense C
Player B - offense SG defense PG
Player C - offense SF defense SG
Player D - offense PF defense SF
Player E - offense C defense PF

You choose that you want the players who defend as centers to train ID, so in this case player A receive training.

In order to keep things more realistic, this could be the default way to train defenses.