This Post:
Date: 06/24/2024 05:36:04
Kerlci
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Kerlci II
Hello again for the NT season 65 thread

Thank you for your vote of confidence in the past elections. I admit, I didn't dedicate much resources into the pre-election campaign, since there was no other candidate, so I even dared to go on holidays But now it is only a few hours before the first game of the season, so I must get things going.

This season we are again playing the European championships. We fell into a very difficult group with two clear favourites, Spain and Italy. Their main rivals will be our opponents from the last EC, Portugal. Austria are seed 4, we are seeded 5th and Belarus 6th, and those teams are of similar quality. Azerbeijan and Wales are the clear underdogs of the group, probably both teams will aim for that one win.

What are our ambitions for this season? Honestly, we cannot aim ridiculously high, since Italy and Spain are several levels above us, Portugal is also better, while with Austria and Belarus we will most likely battle for the 4th place in the group. But we will play fiercely and ambitiously, although this might cost us a win or two.

Our schedule is as following: Belarus, Spain, Austria, Portugal, Italy, Azerbeijan, Wales. Not ideal, since we will have to play all the most difficult matches in the beginning. Also, bad news is, that our GS in front of the Belarus match is not ideal and we might have some problems here. But still hoping for the best outcome

Good news is, again, a very nice draft class, and also nice progress from the previous year's draft class. I have put up a list of all interesting NT players (aged 18 to 35) on the discord, if anybody is interested please join. Probably our discord will need some further verification process (for only Swedish managers... plus me for the time being:) ), since now it is an open book.

As for the this year's team, not many changes are expected. I expect a much higher role from several players, such as Kristian Forsbratt (a long avaited prodigy) and Sören Häggin, who suddenly became a world class player. This season will be probably the last whole season of Sweden NT legend Tommy Fyhrhult, although the "LeBron rule" might keep him active for some additional time. Although I would prefer that such announcements would be put further in advance, this new rule (players start to loose skills at 35 instead of at 34) gives us smaller teams a bit of advantage, and will probably ease our change of generations, especially among inside players.

Good luck in the new season, train your players, and keep them in a good GS

Last edited by Deschamps at 06/25/2024 00:13:07

This Post:
324332.2 in reply to 324332.1
Date: 06/26/2024 06:13:28
Kerlci
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Kerlci II
In the first match of the season, we successfully defended against the attack from Belarus, who aimed for a win, but fell a bit short due to better tactical decisions from our side (75170).

We struggled with a poor game shape before the match. Roster in the first game of the season is usually a bit unpredictable, since there is a lot of variation between game shapes of important players. More than 50% of them are typically still at 7, while some reach high 8 or even 9, which is a really significant difference. Therefore, even lower quality players might come very useful. Such was also the case here. Our starting five was quite common, Hartsten, Fyhrhult, Häggin, Börjesson and Dallius, while our reserve lineup had some unusual names, such as Sabata Nkabinde (2nd appearance in the NT), Niclas Kihlsjö (first appearance), and a veteran Charlie Håkansson, who was also almost forgotten in the last two seasons. But he aged well and came useful for this match.

Belarusians still had higher DMI among their players, and played with a higher attitude, so I was very pessimistic when I scrolled down the tactical decisions. Start of the match was very even, and it was difficult to tell who profited more from their advantages. Neither team got any lead in the first quarter, we were in front for the most of it, but at the final seconds Belarus ended with an advantage of 30-28.

We started Q2 much, much better. Sören Häggin scored a very distant three pointer for our lead, 33-32. That amazing shot gave us some well needed self-confidence, and only 90 seconds later we were already ahead by 8, thanks to another three pointer from Sören. Our march didn't end there, we kept our pace, and yet another Häggin's three pointer got us to 51-38. We reached the highest advantage of +15 just a few seconds later. By the end of the half time, our concentration slightly lowered, and Belarusians managed to get a bit closer, with a half-time result of 60-50 for Sweden.

Thanks to the higher attitude, Belarus still threatened us in the beginning of Q3, with the closest result being 66-61. Afterwards, we got back to +10 and kept such lead until the end of the quarter. Strong beginning into Q4 got us to 98-81, but then the oponent woke up again and got to 109-103 with 3 minutes to go. Sabata Nkabinde then scored two important points, and later, yet again, Häggin scored a three pointer which got us to 114-105. Afterwards, the Belarusians lost some nerves, a flagrant foul was made by their guard Jagor Halinovich, and this effectively sealed the game.

I must say, I was positively surprised with the outcome, we showed real strength and managed to get a very decent result. Belarus was the first opponent of Slovenia in the last European championships, and it was quite a nervous match, especially until the half time (72505). With more parameters on their side this time, I must say the result is very promising. But random is a huge factor in BB, so not much can be judged from only one match.

Player of the match was, no doubt there, Sören Häggin, who scored 41 points, gave 6 assists, and collected 6 rebounds. Nine assists were also distributed from Roger Hartsten, who also demonstrated a nice performance and can take most of the credit for our high "offensive flow" rankings.

Next comes Spain, one of the two superpower nations in our group. They are the defending European vice-champions, but had a somewhat mediocre world cup performance. We will try to do our best, but it is no secret, that we will save some strength for later matches. Portugal managed to beat Italy thanks to the higher attitude, so this will make a battle for the top two spots even more interesting.

Last edited by Deschamps at 06/26/2024 06:17:45