BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Foul Trouble Controls

Foul Trouble Controls

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 5/22/2008 3:40:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Currently, if a player is charged with 2 fouls in the 1Q he sits for the rest of the quarter, and similarly for 3 fouls in the 2Q, or 4 fouls in the 3Q.

I think that this is too conservative, especially since fouls appear to be somewhat random. That is, if a player picks up 3 fouls in 15 minutes, it doesn't mean that he would pick up another 3 in the next 15 minutes.

So I'd like a control called the "foul rate" which would be specified in minutes/foul. So let's say that I set the foul rate at 12 minutes. Then if a player has 3 fouls to give, he would continue in the game when there was less than 12x3 minutes remaining. So in this case, a player would continue to play with 3 fouls during the 3Q. A setting of 8 minutes would be similar to the current game engine, and value of 16 might be used if you simply wanted a player to continue to play even if he has several fouls.

This could also be extended to multiple players. Recently, I had a game where the starting SG and his backup both had 3 fouls by early in the 2Q. Both were benched and the reserve SG came into the game. But if you have two players with 6 fouls between them, there is no reason to go to the 3rd player.

If it appeared that both players were in FT, a check could be made to see if they were collectively at risk. If not, then the player with fewer fouls could be use.

This Post:
32566.2 in reply to 32566.1
Date: 6/4/2008 5:34:59 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Currently, if a player is charged with 2 fouls in the 1Q he sits for the rest of the quarter, and similarly for 3 fouls in the 2Q, or 4 fouls in the 3Q.

This could also be extended to multiple players. Recently, I had a game where the starting SG and his backup both had 3 fouls by early in the 2Q. Both were benched and the reserve SG came into the game. But if you have two players with 6 fouls between them, there is no reason to go to the 3rd player.

last saturday I had this odd first 30 seconds where my PG fouled 2 times in a row, was substituted by the back-up PG, who imediatly fouled too. Homer Simpson would say: "Dow!"
30secs and already 3 fouls on my PGs. Talking about a good start! (roleyes)

Last edited by Lord of Doom at 6/4/2008 5:35:46 AM

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
32566.3 in reply to 32566.2
Date: 6/4/2008 12:31:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I saw that and it's quite unusual, although I had it happen to me once but I had 4 fouls in like 30 seconds (one attack). That sure sucked the life out of my team for a while.

And its D'oh ;).

This Post:
32566.4 in reply to 32566.3
Date: 6/4/2008 2:13:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
:)
thanks, I knew somehow ''dow'' was wrong, but couldn't think of anything better to resemble the sound...

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.