BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > training questions

training questions

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 6/27/2008 5:52:05 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Having been playing a month or so, I've now moved onto the 'training properly' stage of the game, and have a group of 6-7 guards I'm training.

the plan is to rotate between the various guard regimes to build vaguely balanced players, and I'm concentrating on handling and jump shot to begin with, as they seem to train the most useful skills.

related to this, I just wondered how people tend to update training.

in HT, it's a simple +1 after the players name every training session, but with multiple skills training at different speeds, that all gets rather trickier. Would something like +4 for a primary training and +1 for secondaries work or is there an easier way to do things?

As an aside, am I better concentrating on just one regime, or is moving between various training types good, assuming I have decent trainees in place?

This Post:
37195.2 in reply to 37195.1
Date: 6/27/2008 6:21:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Having been playing a month or so, I've now moved onto the 'training properly' stage of the game, and have a group of 6-7 guards I'm training.

i would propose that you sell one of your trainees, because training ain't linear and if 2-3 trainees don't reach the 48 minutes you waste some training. But it was way easier to give 5 player 48 min(+) and one player the last minutes.

the plan is to rotate between the various guard regimes to build vaguely balanced players, and I'm concentrating on handling and jump shot to begin with, as they seem to train the most useful skills.

handling was for me one less usefull skills, i would say passing is more important for the flow ... If you train with 6 guys, driving training is a bit slower int raining handling but it train so much skills, that it was an pretty cool training.(i don't know if you already mean one- on-one or the real handling training).

I think Outside defense was maybe the importants skills for guards.

A nice thread for training speed -> (381.1)

What to you mean with +1 and plus 4 etc?

This Post:
37195.3 in reply to 37195.2
Date: 6/27/2008 6:41:53 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
+1 means, that a player received certain skill training, but it haven't raised, still you put +1 to this player certain skill and know, that when it raises its the best time, to sell your player, o you know about how long it will take to get another skill raise

This Post:
37195.4 in reply to 37195.3
Date: 6/27/2008 6:44:28 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
in this case i would take the pessimistic guess from the training analysis thread and divide one through this number, so in the most cases of primary training +1/3 then you would have also gotan aproximation of your subskill.

This Post:
37195.5 in reply to 37195.4
Date: 6/27/2008 6:52:51 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
+3 / +1 (aiming for +10 to mean trained) sounds a good option I think. I'll aim to use those numbers.

interesting what you have said about losing a trainee, in that I've kind of thought that anyway.

the 7th trainee is very much one I intend to keep as injury cover only, but I was under the impression that trainees who managed to play 35 - 40 minutes over the week still trained quite effectively?

I've been aiming for things like 3 trainees @ 60 minutes, 3 trainees @ 40 minutes.

Would you say I'd be better going for 5 trainees @ 60 minutes.

Bear in mind I'm a newbie team in a division II that is far too strong for me, and can happily play my reserves in one league game every week, as my best team would still get beaten easily.

This Post:
37195.6 in reply to 37195.5
Date: 6/27/2008 7:55:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm pretty new too but was thinking handling would be very important-particularly for a point guard. Not minimizing passing it just seems that handling would be very important for a point guard.

Is the consensus that handling is a "less useful skill?"

This Post:
37195.7 in reply to 37195.5
Date: 6/27/2008 7:59:06 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I've been aiming for things like 3 trainees @ 60 minutes, 3 trainees @ 40 minutes.

Would you say I'd be better going for 5 trainees @ 60 minutes.

60 minutes shouldn't be the the target, if a trainne reaches 48 Minutes he got maximum training.

If you let play your 4 strongest trainees play in league as starter and backup(switched orders ins econd league game), each couple would mostly have betwenn 40-56 Minutes) if they become less then 45 minutes i try to give then a chanche as backup in scrimmage else i try to give the "third row" 48 minutes(playing with 8 players, where the 3 non training positions gets backups). You could also manage a bit playing time in assigning player 2 backup spot(maybe one trainee and one non trainee this reduces the amount of minutes he would bench the starting trainee), you'll see it was aa bit tricky and in some weeks with foul trouble or injuries it could cost a lot of training ... Or when you have threee serious games, because of the Cup which makes it more difficult to give the elite training the right amount of minutes(if you don't have three trainees on one level).

the 7th trainee is very much one I intend to keep as injury cover only, but I was under the impression that trainees who managed to play 35 - 40 minutes over the week still trained quite effectively?

With 35 minutes the training rate is "much" lower then 35/48, forty minutes are one limit a friend of mine had but not for all trainees ;) I can't give you numbers or could say you how much training was affected, the 45 minimum Training minutes from me was pretty conservative but i got 2 trainees who are in a national team or good oppurtunities to play there ... There is an los of efficiency, which you would recognize if one trainee often missed the 48 minute mark. But how much and which minimum training minutes are player should have, their are thousands opinions here.

To: dray
This Post:
37195.8 in reply to 37195.6
Date: 6/27/2008 8:04:26 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
all 6 guards skill are important for both guards :) So i mean sligtly differences with less "usefull" skills. So training these skills are definitly usefull, both i won't lay the main focus on that thats i wanted to say.

This text was a bit confusing, but sorry i don't found the right wprds right now i hope you could understand my comment to my older posting. And maybe some others guys says which skills they like mostly on guards :)

This Post:
37195.9 in reply to 37195.8
Date: 6/27/2008 8:18:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
thanks for the reply. I am training inside skills but used last week and next to try to get some guard bumps and handling was the skill on my guards that needed bumping. The prices of guards made this seem the easiest way to some improvement and limit turnovers!

This Post:
37195.10 in reply to 37195.7
Date: 6/27/2008 11:44:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
all interesting stuff, and if 35 minutes isn't really worth bothering with, it certainly makes no sense to train 7 players, so I've listed one of the weaker ones.

from my reasoning

48 x 6 = 288 minutes in total, which means that 5 players gaining 55 minutes of play each seems a realistic target to aim at, with the 6th player getting the odd few minutes in the friendly after my main players have all been fully trained.

This Post:
37195.11 in reply to 37195.10
Date: 6/27/2008 1:06:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
48 x 6 = 288 minutes in total, which means that 5 players gaining 55 minutes of play each seems a realistic target to aim at, with the 6th player getting the odd few minutes in the friendly after my main players have all been fully trained.

I'm afraid you will notice it is not THAT simple.
In order to get the minutes you will have to fill the players in the guards spots in your roster for the games. In each game you only have 3 rosterspots per position, but the third will see play only for a few minutes, and mostly even no minutes, unless there is foul trouble or injury. So actually you can only fill in 2 spots for each position effectively. Then what happens during the game, and depending on the tactics you have set, the distribution of minutes can vary a lot between these spots. Let's say you put 2 guards who are far from equal in skills in the 2 spots for PG position, then the better will probably play a lot of minutes, while the other only receives a few. BUT should you mange to be in front by a lot of points (more then 20) in the last quarter , suddenly your starter will not play any more minutes, and your back-up will play the remainder of the game....
If they both are equal they-ll probably splitt the minutes 28-20 or something close to that.
Due to this you might have a player having 46 minutes after 2 games, should you put him up for a third? or not, if so, he might end up having 66 minutes, if not he'll be stuck with 46...
You'll find soon enough it's not all that easy to get them all 55 minutes and 1 just a few minutes, during games the minutes will often not do what you wanted them to do.
I can tell you that when I am sitting here watching games, it happens more that I am shouting to my coach: " put this one back on the court!" or " let him have 2 more minutes please!" a lot more than I am shouting:"stop shooting, you miss all shots" or "start defending already, we're getting to much points against us" I think that says more than any other way I'd like to tell you it's not that simple to give your players the minutes you'd like them to have. ;)

Hope this helps you.

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.