BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Better Construction Estimates

Better Construction Estimates

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 6/27/2008 6:58:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Finally, beware relying too much on construction estimates. Estimates are not exactly how many days it will take to construct your stadium, and on average, construction estimates tend to be rather optimistic. If you really, desperately need your arena expansion ready in 10 days, you should probably not trust a 10 day estimate from the construction crew.

The rule excerpt above states that estimates are not exact. I'm currently expanding my arena, and I'm finding that it's taking 3 actual days for the estimate to go down 1 day. I'm not asking for the estimates to become exact, however it'd be nice if they were at least in the ballpark. I just don't see the point of even having estimates if they're going to be this grossly inaccurate.

Before anyone says that the current system is supposed to simulate real-world construction delays, let me just say, that in real world, a construction would usually have to pay a penalty for every day that they're late in completing a project.

So, how about it? Can we have estimates that have a reasonable (1-2 days) margin of error?

This Post:
37285.2 in reply to 37285.1
Date: 6/27/2008 7:26:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Punctual construction, like in real life, would certainly have to carry a higher price.

This Post:
37285.3 in reply to 37285.2
Date: 6/28/2008 8:46:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Punctual construction, like in real life, would certainly have to carry a higher price.

hehe.

actually I was going to react: they only have to pay for each day of delay if it is taken up in the contract. In BB there is no constuctioncompany willing to sign this kind of contract.
But this is even better.
Actually it might be a nice new feature in BB: the option to have punctiual construction, by paying more for it. For example if you mark the punctual constructionbox you pay 20 or 25% extra.

If this can ease the pain of the initiator of the thread:
Last construction I waited 5 days for the number to go down from 6 to 5 days.... so.

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
37285.4 in reply to 37285.3
Date: 6/28/2008 3:28:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not going to pretend to know the nuances of the construction business, but I would venture a guess that if any kind of company consistently took 3+ times longer to complete projects than what it had promised, it would not be able to stay in business for very long.
Either way, real world applicability is not really my main point in my reasoning for why I'd like to see the estimates become more accurate. I fail to understand how having a grossly inaccurate estimate contributes to the game play and user experience. I hate to bring up the dreaded H word, but in Hattrick -- which, dare I say, BB is somewhat modeled after -- construction estimates are pretty much on the money. I just don't get the rationale for BB doing this differently. I would imagine the formula for calculating the estimate would be fairly easy to change.
OK, I'll stop beating a dead horse now. Thanks for reading.

This Post:
37285.5 in reply to 37285.4
Date: 6/28/2008 5:11:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
:)
it is perfectly normal that there is a bunch of players that would like it to be more acurate.
However I find it prety amusing it is not. (odd eh, especially when I had to wait like 5 days before it went further down, I must be a massochist. ;) )

No seriously, when I first started to expand, I was looking when my next home game was, and expanded so I would have it finished by then and actually it worked! The next time it didn't work, after so many expansions I must admid I don't even look when my next game is anymore, I just choose the amount of seats I'd like and build, I realy don't care anymore how long it takes.

Sometimes it's even exiting to follow and see it will or will not be done in time for a given game...
You'll get used to it, and when you do, you'll ask yourself why you ever did bother. ;)

As a last remark I must add this: if your company will succeed does not so much depends on the time it finishes work, but the country it is in. For example: roadworks here in Belgium compared to the Netherlands: 5 km highway: in Belgium it takes at least 4 months, but more often then not it will take about a year. In the Netherlands it takes 1 week-end to 1 week. This is the same with all other road works, what the Dutchmen do in 1 week, takes a year in Belgium, still the Belgian companies do not get bankrupt, why? don't ask me, I'm clueless. I fear you hired a Belgian company for your expansion last time. ;)

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
37285.6 in reply to 37285.1
Date: 6/29/2008 12:45:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I can imagine that you can have an option to sign a contract with the company - that they have for example 20 days to expand your arena and this therm must be reached no matter what happens...

...however this can cost you something more because of that kind of service

This Post:
37285.7 in reply to 37285.6
Date: 6/29/2008 12:53:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
there can be even more options - you can pick a small, lager, whatever company accorging to their's quality/speed

there can be an situations that more quality expand - less maintenance you need, or offer to a general rebuilding?

posibilities are endless as always

This Post:
37285.8 in reply to 37285.7
Date: 7/2/2008 9:53:20 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry ..

but this is hilarious. The time it need sin BB has nothing to do with real life. Please be serious, especially when you are an Official.

It´s not a bug it´s a feature.

Just say that you want it like it is ... ok. But don´t pretend, that this is reality. If this is reality in the states, then please adjust reality for germany, because we don´t need triple time for buildings.

Back to serious discussion. As stated by the thread opener i think it would be much better to have a more accurate duration. We are not saying it should be exact on a day, but pleaaaaase every change is better than what we have now.

Thx for your time

This Post:
37285.9 in reply to 37285.8
Date: 7/2/2008 12:03:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I do not understand the problem, of course it is a feature and all know that it maybe needs more time for buildings and because of that all can plan it... plan the double of the estimate time and you are in time!

In all it makes no sense to built seats for the next games, you need to plan for longer!

This Post:
37285.10 in reply to 37285.8
Date: 7/2/2008 3:13:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
well, if you are from Germany, I think you must know I am right in my example for the Dutch-Belgian diversity. ;)

It ofcourse is just a silly example.

We actually truly don't want reality, otherwise , while we are building, a lot less people can come and watch, because it will not be possible to keep all seats open while changing the arena... ;)

This Post:
37285.11 in reply to 37285.10
Date: 7/8/2008 11:55:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
actually to get myself rid of this headache is my getting a schedule that is only 6 days

i actually round it up, usually if your project reaches less than 300k you probably will get around 6 days plus delays its around 9-10 days max. the start building again because if you build 16 days worth it will probably be 25 days or more and your not getting your money worth as fast.

so do it lightly and when its done you sure can feel the upgrade already fast and continue to work on the next,

=================================================

honestly its crazy to say add more money to be fast i guess this is wrong, because the contractor who accepted the money know already he got to do it fast.

from what i know some contractors even wanted to keep giving overtime instead and do it fast than following the number of days schedule to finish.

its also funny at times we experience delay a lot but we dont experience a sudden advance in the work meaning if its 10 days there has to be days that it can suddenly go to 8 or 7 days just one day passing.

what im thinking there are natural or things we cant control or shit happens at times, then we should have a sudden pop up on construction saying

while building suddenly hit a hidden pipe and for this the work is delay how many days , or a tornado hit the town and work is blah blah , the mayor of the town delcare it " no OT pay for 3 days " and work became fast

then you choose if you want to add more money or no to make it fast

but i know if the contractor break something he should shoulder it