BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Shot Blocking...

Shot Blocking...

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 6/30/2008 4:24:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't know if shot blocking works correctly or not...I'll assume it does and there are some unseen effects. If not, I guess this belongs in the bug reports.

One of the things I am a little disappointed by is the lack of block shots (at least from a statistically basis) that big men with shot blocking are credited. Shot blocking should be a visible part of the game -- its one of the most exciting parts of the real game. A big man with good shot blocking should block more than 0.5 blocks per game.

Also, once shot blocking becomes a meaningful statistics...it would be nice if it was included in the league leaders.

In short, BB should not marginalize the contributions of NBA greats like Manute Bol!

Steve

This Post:
37650.2 in reply to 37650.1
Date: 7/5/2008 12:26:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Or Dikembe Mutombo...

I also want to push thru the importance of shot blocking... i think that shotblocking doe not have a great forumla yet in the engine.

i have a player who have proficient inside defense and strong shot blocking... good enough to be a consistent shot blocker (i thought that he should have at least 1.2 blocks per game)

yet he averaged 0.9 blocks per game. which is i think it's too low for a player with those types of skills...

also... maybe one factor that inhibits shotblocking efficiency is because based on my experience, even if players play zone defense (2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1 defense), they just stick in their own man... meaning center versus center, OF vs PF, and nothing else (even in full court press)

maybe what i'm suggesting may affect the current game engine, but really, i wish that players with high ID and SB will be able to block other players (players who drive to the area of the shotblocker, especially).

also, make shotblockers have consistent blocking. meaning, he should have game having 2-3 blocks straight (b.wallace), or having no blocks but having 9 in one special day (m.camby) or somewhat like that

i strongly push through revamping the blocking formula, so that the game will be a notch higher to being realistic, and inside defense will be more prioritized

P.S.
i started to think that maybe inside defense is more effective and more used in BB, is because the lack of blocking, no?

This Post:
37650.3 in reply to 37650.2
Date: 7/5/2008 12:35:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
But there are also good shot blockers who got less Block, but affects that a lot of shot missed the target - for example Andrej Kirilenko who got good blocking stats even at the beginning of the carrer but often jumps to early so that it was easily to trick him out with a shot fake. Better defenders wait longer, but often don't get high enough to block but make the shot hard.

This Post:
37650.4 in reply to 37650.3
Date: 7/5/2008 12:42:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i saw some instances also wherein player A misses shot when my player defends him...

but that would categorize in his good ID taking effect. not blocking IMO

(con't from my post earlier) ...or maybe have a higher blocking stat, then lower his rebounding a bit. it's seldom to block a shot then grab it for a rebound (IMO, it's not considered a rebound at all when you block, but block itself)

This Post:
37650.5 in reply to 37650.2
Date: 7/5/2008 5:13:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i have a player who have proficient inside defense and strong shot blocking... good enough to be a consistent shot blocker (i thought that he should have at least 1.2 blocks per game)

yet he averaged 0.9 blocks per game. which is i think it's too low for a player with those types of skills...

Shot blocking always depends of the opponent player/team and his/their skills (jumpshot, range, insideshot), so if you look at your outside- and insidedefense ratings against your opponent you can see why you do not make so much block shots (in the moment)!

Apart from that, the most block shots which I saw in BB were block shots aginst players which try to shoot from the outside like 3P or far FG, so maybe you should train some range and outside defense!?

I dont know your player skills but thats my experience...

This Post:
37650.6 in reply to 37650.5
Date: 7/5/2008 7:38:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Shot blocking always depends of the opponent player/team and his/their skills (jumpshot, range, insideshot), so if you look at your outside- and insidedefense ratings against your opponent you can see why you do not make so much block shots (in the moment)!

in team ratings, you cannot argue with that.

the point i'm saying is that in real basketball, there can be instances wherein you wouldn't defend on your main man. in BB, you could do it 48 minutes per game.

either my player just backs off slightly or gets close, you never see that driving SF getting away to his defender and ending up being blocked by my center.

This Post:
37650.7 in reply to 37650.6
Date: 7/6/2008 1:36:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
in team ratings, you cannot argue with that.

I can because I can see in your team ratings that the outside defense is not so high that your player can do 5 shot blocks per game!

Look at your player H.Nellas, he do his most shot blocks in a game with an high outside defense, of course it also depends how much higher is the defense against the opponent offense...

This Post:
37650.8 in reply to 37650.7
Date: 7/6/2008 2:34:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe Nellas is the exception that makes the rule. Most shot blocking occurs in the paint.

Steve
Bruins

This Post:
37650.9 in reply to 37650.8
Date: 7/6/2008 6:39:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe Nellas is the exception that makes the rule. Most shot blocking occurs in the paint.

Steve
Bruins

I think shot blocking occurs insight and outside but mostly if there is a clear advantage... but its only my personal experience, so who knows.

FYI: my best block shot guy is only 1,88 m

This Post:
37650.10 in reply to 37650.9
Date: 7/6/2008 6:58:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Steve
Bruins

I think shot blocking occurs insight and outside but mostly if there is a clear advantage... but its only my personal experience, so who knows.

FYI: my best block shot guy is only 1,88 m

Yes, I know it does in the simulation. I meant in real basketball, shot blocking is normally more common in the paint.

Steve

This Post:
37650.11 in reply to 37650.10
Date: 7/7/2008 12:26:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
hey steve,

lets not also look pass that in the nba, a lot of shot blocking comes from help defense. there are only a number of players who have that ability to block shots face to face, mourning, motumbo, ostertag ( yes he can ) etc.

did you think david robinson blocks came from facing the guy. i read it before at some analysis at him since he cant lead his team to win a championship then. if i remember is right was it 60 to 70 % of his blocks comes from help defense.

also another is if your only guy in their that can block shots but you got really good inside D youll probably get more blocks.

:D