BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > draft

draft

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 7/18/2008 12:35:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I sent 2 scouts today that they get new informations from youth players.
I've a lot of money and on the economy site write out that I payed that the 2 scouts got information.
But I don't see anywhere that what information got them.
What's problem or where do I see it?
Please!

This Post:
39422.2 in reply to 39422.1
Date: 7/18/2008 12:37:07 PM
Molson Canadians
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
At the end of the season, all of the information about the players you drafted will become available. The draft itself takes place during the offseason.

This Post:
39422.3 in reply to 39422.2
Date: 7/18/2008 12:39:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What will be this date?
What day on?
Will I see the all youth players or only those who have got information?

Last edited by hellan at 7/18/2008 12:41:45 PM

This Post:
39422.4 in reply to 39422.1
Date: 7/18/2008 2:53:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The actual draft is at the start of next season. The regular season ends next Saturday (July 26). Then there are two weeks of playoffs, so the draft will be on August 11 or 12. (Monday or Tuesday). The next league season will begin on Saturday August 16.

Currently, scouting reports are being filed in a filing cabinet (actually, there is just a counter which had 2 added to it this week, when you had $10,000 taken from your bank account). New owners such as yourself are given some scouting reports to start with, so you will have a useful number, though not as much as someone who has been investing $10,000 or $20,000 all season.

Your scouting reports will be shown to you at the end of the regular season (so a little more than a week from now). The 16 teams in your league will each draft 3 players from a pool of 48 players. Each league's draft is separate, and is done with the teams in the league before promotion and relegation.

The players are anonymized, so that Player 7 on your list, might be Player 13 on another team's list, and Player 46 on another, and so on. So let's say that you have 15 scouting reports. That could be a single report on 9 players, 2 reports on 3 players, and nothing on 36 players. But remember that most of the other teams won't know anything about many players. So you might know that a player is pretty good, while another owner won't know anything about the player.

The first report on a player is just a number between 1 and 5, and a best position. There will be quite a few 5s and 4s, so it doesn't provide a lot of discrimination. You don't want any 1s or 2s on your team. And because there are so many 5s and 4s, you won't want the 3s. The unknowns will be somewhere in between. Most likely they won't be a 1 or 2, but might be a 4 or 5.

The second report includes an indication of the player's potential, and also a box score from a game. This might suggest whether a player is a good scorer or a rebounder, or it might be from a game where he played 3 minutes, was 0-1 from the field, and had one turnover (ie nothing useful).

After you have your draft list for the 48 players which will include scouting reports on some of them, you will have two weeks to re-order it. When the draft is held, each team will take the first player on their draft list that hasn't been selected by another team.

The good thing about the draft is that the players will be as good as the players on your initial team, and 18 or 19. There is a reasonable chance that your 1st pick will be good enough to start in your first league game a few days later.

Because every team drafts 3 players at the same time, there will be a sudden surplus of talent on the transfer list. This will either be a draftee that another team has decided to sell, or an older player who is being replaced by a draftee. So even if you don't do well in the draft, you can go shopping and get a pretty good player.

BTW, the investment for next season's draft starts as soon as you see this season's draft list

This Post:
39422.5 in reply to 39422.4
Date: 7/18/2008 9:08:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This was a very helpful post.

Could you elaborate on the 1-5 part of it? Am I looking for players that have all 5's? Is five an indication of a skill level? or an indication of whether the player is superstar/legend/pereniel allstar etc? I know the suggested position is just that, a suggestion. If I'm training guards and don't really care about winning right now am I assured of getting a player who will have relatively high ratings in the categories used more heavily by guards?

thanks for the questions.

To: Xarn
This Post:
39422.6 in reply to 39422.5
Date: 7/19/2008 9:15:43 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
For the stars you only have one rating for total skill (not each skill), 5 star just means he is a better player than a 4 star player, you have no idea where their skill levels are or how it is distributed. However, you do know which position they are best in and you do have the box score to hopefully give you an indication of which of his skills are better.

Some players get a second rating if your scout happens to have seen him twice. This is your potential ratings, eg superstar/legend etc.

Your training doesn't influence are the scouting system.

To: Xarn
This Post:
39422.7 in reply to 39422.5
Date: 7/19/2008 2:27:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
For each player that has been scouted once, you will be given a single number associated with his (current) playing ability, though of course this forms the base for his future development. In addition you will know his best/suggested position.

If a player has been scouted twice, you will have another number indicating his potential. In addition, you will be given his box score from one game.

Many, perhaps most, players you will know nothing about.

It appears that the first number may be based on a player's best skills, and may not reflect the breadth of those skills. There are more 5's and 4's than 3's, 2's, and 1's. That is, it is definitely not a uniform distribution (20% of each), nor normal more 3's, fewer 2's or 1's. The first pass through, I simply place all the 5's at the top of my list, followed by all the 4's, and placing all 1's and 2's at the bottom of my list.

Because the average player is better than a 3, it may be desirable to place the unknowns ahead of the 3's. But there are likely a handful of other teams that know at least the first number, on any given player in the draft. So it may make sense to place your unknowns lower since they will have been picked over by the other teams, who will have taken more of the 4s and 5s, and left the 1s and 2s for you. But since your 3rd pick may come from these players, you may want to take a chance. That is, a 3 might be a better player than the average unknown that you will draft, but he is still a 3 who is unlikely to help your team, so why not take a chance on something totally unknown.

Potential was a new feature last season (not only for the draft, but to Buzzard Beater), but our first exposure was during the draft, where we could see a 2nd number (1 to 5) associated with potential for players that had been scouted twice Also added to the draft was the best position, and a box score from one game.

In previous seasons, you were given a 2nd grade (A+, A, A-, etc.). All 5's would have some form of an A, all 4's some form of a B, etc. You were told a player's best skill rather than given a box score. But this might mean that you knew a player's best skill was FT.

So before, you would simply put the 5 A+ ahead of the 5 A, 5 A-, and perhaps the 5 (grade unknown) somewhere in the middle. You might move a player with a suspect top skill like FT lower in the rankings.

Now you have to start with the 5's and weigh in the position, the potential, and the box score. I don't know whether the box score is synthesized based on a player's skills, or is a simulation based on a player's skills. If you look at the season stats for a player, you will see that it matches up pretty well with their skills. For example if a player is a dominant rebounder and mediocre shot, this will clearly be evident in his season long stats. But in any individual game it may not.

For example, my starting PG had one game where he was 1-11 FG, 1-9 3FG, but had 11 rebounds and 8 assists. Two games later, he was 12-20 FG, 9-15 3FG, with 3 rebounds and 3 assists. The difference is reflective of different offenses (the first game was look inside, the second motion). Some of the players had quite impressive box scores. Others had maybe 10 minutes 0-1 FG, and one TO and 1 PF.

Now that there is position, box score, and potential information, two different teams might well re-order their list differently, even if they had the same information about the same players, which they don't.

The first two seasons my top draft picks were guards (3 of my top 4 guards were draft picks). So last season, I did draft somewhat by position and my first pick was a PF. I was 14th overall, but he was my first choice. If you click on Draft Results, you will see that most teams get one of their highest choices, usually their 1st choice as their first pick.

This Post:
39422.8 in reply to 39422.7
Date: 7/23/2008 10:33:52 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
One question.

What decides the draft seeds? Better campaigns equal to lower seeds?

For an instance: I`m leading the season, and probably will win the title. Will I be the last seed? Or it will be based on next season, what would make me top seed since i would be moving up division?

This Post:
39422.9 in reply to 39422.8
Date: 7/23/2008 10:43:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
One question.

What decides the draft seeds? Better campaigns equal to lower seeds?

For an instance: I`m leading the season, and probably will win the title. Will I be the last seed? Or it will be based on next season, what would make me top seed since i would be moving up division?

It's based on where you finish for a season, and by regular season record.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
39422.10 in reply to 39422.9
Date: 7/23/2008 11:01:24 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if two records from different divisions are equal? Point difference?

This Post:
39422.11 in reply to 39422.10
Date: 7/23/2008 11:06:04 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live