BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > division cup before national starts

division cup before national starts

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 7/26/2008 4:18:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
applies for best teams in asociated division, the rest would play national cup normally from the beginning

We have there some division levels and I think that before best teams from these divisions joins a national cup, they have to play a several games against each other for a high division trophy

I'm not sure if I'm counting here well, but I cannot see any tree to check:

there would be from every level 16 teams

I. DIV - whole
II. DIV - firts two teams from every conference
III. DIV - playoff winners

rest would play the national cup from the beginning normally

and now the point - these choosed teams would play against each other, the system would be setted just for a 1 game and randomly selected. That means there will be any lottery which set an opponents. If someone lose a game, join a national cup, if wins, continue up, there will be lottery for another game

this will create an interresting option for a best teams in highest leagues to battle agains themselves and simultaneously it will brake for a while the best teams to join national cup and gives an opportunity for a weaker teams to prove themselves in national cup (just for first few weeks).

because we have 48 teams first week, 24 on second, 12 on third, 6 on fourth and then I would like to see here any kind league/playoff battle (more matches against each other)

every team (even winner which will be last) joins a national cup then

what do you think?

Last edited by Iordanou at 7/26/2008 4:24:03 AM

This Post:
40141.2 in reply to 40141.1
Date: 7/26/2008 3:31:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Add both conference playoff winners for D.III and you have a field of 64 teams.

In countries with 5 divisions, the two finalists from your new cup would enter the national cup with 6 rounds remaining.

It would take about 384 teams out of the national cup (368 if a 48-team field is used). But if BB added a preliminary round to the national cup the entire 5 divisions would be accomodated.

It work less well with smaller countries since the teams would be entering the later stages of the national cups. But perhaps the national cups in the smaller countries could start later. It would make as much sense for all national cups to end at the same time rather than start at the same time. Or maybe smaller countries could have additional games. For example a 4-division country could have a group stage (4 teams) with 2 advancing and have 512 teams left after 3 weeks, the same as in a 5-division country after 3 rounds of simple knokcout.

This Post:
40141.3 in reply to 40141.2
Date: 7/27/2008 5:04:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
your notices gives me an inspiration

however I mean this high division cup like the reward for most succesfull teams in here

no matter how many divisions have that coutry, can have 10 divisions (:)) but still this competition where noone can in fact lose, because if lose, join a national cup - are reward for best teams and simultaneously get them out of national cup for a while

system I offered (whole I, 4 from II, 1 from III) are for the interresting battles even in lower leagues, but not for IVth and more lower - because they are not strongest teams in the country, are they?

This Post:
40141.4 in reply to 40141.3
Date: 7/27/2008 10:16:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't think your proposed format, with the league stage at the end, will get the teams back into the national cup at a suitable round. You proposed 3 knockout rounds and 5 league rounds. In a country with 4096 teams, 8 rounds would reduce the field to 16 teams. But if you have the 6 finalists entering the national cup that means you have to only have 10 teams advancing from the national cup, so you reduce your starting field for the national cup to 2560, simply so you can have a league stage.

So I think you should stick with a straight knockout. But 64 works better than 48, so go ahead and take 2 teams from each III league.

National Cup: 5392 teams.
Divisional Cup: 64 teams

Preliminary Round (NC only): 3488 teams play, 1904 byes.
Round 1: 3648 in NC, 64 in DC
Round 2: 1824+32 DC losers in NC, 32 in DC
Round 3: 928 + 16 DCL, 16 in DC sweet sixteen.
Round 4: 472 + 8 DCL, 8 in DC elite eight.
Round 5: 240 + 4 DCL, 4 in DC final four.
Round 6: 122 + 2 DCL, 2 in DC final.
Round 7: 62 + 2 DC finalists.
Round 8-12: 32 -> NC champion.

That will work OK for countries with 5 or 6 divisions.

Does the DC champion win a spot in the BBB?

This Post:
40141.5 in reply to 40141.4
Date: 7/28/2008 4:03:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
you are right, maybe is 64 teams a better number, I'm awful mathematic, you know:)

also it would be great opportunity to get B3, indeed!

Last edited by Iordanou at 7/28/2008 4:04:05 AM