BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Money time and shot clock management

Money time and shot clock management

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 9/22/2008 11:08:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
This subject might have been already debated here, but I can't find a thread about it.

When, at the very end of a game, your team has the ball, with less than 24 seconds remaining on the game clock, and you're leading the game, but by a close margin (tie, 1,2 or 3 points), your players should NEVER EVER EVER shoot before the last second.

This should never happen : 23 secs left on the clock, and a dunk after 8 seconds of gameplay. In real life basketball the player would be murdered by his coach and teammates.

(http://www2.buzzerbeater.org/BBWeb/reportmatch.aspx?match...)

The game engine has to be changed to take that into account. The only possibility for the defending team should be to foul.

Last edited by sneakyB at 9/22/2008 11:16:20 AM

This Post:
51041.2 in reply to 51041.1
Date: 9/22/2008 2:08:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Although it is indeed the goal of shooting the last second, in real life players also shoot often sooner.
Some reasons? They can't see the shot clock, they get tricked by the opposing fans, they refuse to pass to a teammate or they're just plain stupid.

The final attack management could be coded with taking in account a couple of variables such as experience of players, game score, etc. Maybe it's already even coded similar.
Just don't expect to see your players always obey the best possible rules. There coded to be a bit human after all. :-)

Climbing the BB-mountain. Destination: the top.

This Post:
51041.3 in reply to 51041.1
Date: 9/25/2008 11:11:10 AM
Molson Canadians
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Actually, with 23 seconds to go, and leading by two, I think the other team would try to foul you as quickly as possible, get you to the line, hope you make 1-2, and go for a three to tie the game. Even more so if they're down by one. They're certainly not going to let you run down the shot clock.

This is the behavior I've seen most often with the end-game.

Also, a player's Experience will help determine how he plays, and this is particularly noticeable with the shot selection at the end of the game.